JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an older pistol I want to exchange for a newer model. I have never really gave much thought to the trade in process because typically when I have sold anything its because I needed the cash, not because I wanted something else. How does this compare to a private sale in terms of value? Are you still much better off going with a private sale or is the value close to what a trade in would be? Or is a trade in value typically no different than a straight resell to the gun shop? I am sure its been discussed before but my searching is not hitting the correct hot words..

Stores need to make a profit, in general expect to get +/- 50% for cash, +/- 75% for trade. Depending on what it is you will almost always do better with a private sale, even with a low price for quick sale, than you will at a retail establishment.

So do tell, what is it? :s0093:

If you can take a hit and WANT that new toy typically a trade
In is 60% used value. Personal pary sales take a while unless you reduce pricing for a fast sale which isnt much more than trade
In value, depends on how fast you want the new piece.

My suggestion would be to try for trade on places like this forum's classifieds first cuz you are more likely to get good values on both sides of the deal. But of course u have to have a person that wants ur gun and has the gun u want for that to work.

If that doesn't pan out I would put it up for sale or on consignment with a shop for a reasonable price. Again u will get close to the value of what it's worth. 2 cents

Think of it this way: besides the fact that the shop/dealer needs to make a profit on the trade-in, they also may or may not actually want the gun. Most of the time they don't want it to shoot/own it, they want it to sell it, if they want it at all.

OTOH, most private sale buyers do actually want the gun to shoot/own it - most of the time.

Which do you think will be willing to pay more for the gun?

Private sale
OR
Keep it and buy what you want.

If you trade it in, keep your butt cheeks tightly clenched together.
Brick~n~Mortar shops (unless you're very well liked) are not there for your convenience.

I had a gun store owner tell me directly "I don't buy guns, I steal them."

He then offered 1/3 the value of the gun I was trying to sell, so I guess he wasn't lying.

Private sales if possible.

Private sale
OR
Keep it and buy what you want.

If you trade it in, keep your butt cheeks tightly clenched together.
Brick~n~Mortar shops (unless you're very well liked) are not there for your convenience.

Actually they are there for your convenience, however they aren't there for your financial benefit . Years ago I landed my dream job of working in a fun store and people were often disappointed in our trade in valuations . The store I worked for actually paid more than most do even today. We gave 60% of the retail value for a customers trade in.

A lot of gun stores typically pay 50% , one should keep in mind that a brick and mortar store has operating overhead and as a further for what it's worth. I do not know of any store that can buy something for full retail and then sell it for full retail, using such a business model insures you will not be in business long.

Whatever analogy you choose to explain how the process works, the tradee gets screwed, because that's how the system works.

Speaking solely towards retail dealers and how they have to operate.
Trading in is never the route to go, unless you have no other choice, or you're desperate or both.

No matter what is getting traded in.

"Some would consider not having to deal with "people" a benefit."

The above...I loath knuckleheads who want to offer absurd pricing negotiation. Get lost a-hole...

Which is why if/when I find a gun (or almost anything else) disappointing, I give it away. Of course, not just to anyone. My Daughter, Granddaughters, other loved ones and well regarded neighbors, etc...

Most recently I gave away a Ruger LC9S (I didn't like the snappy recoil) plus holster and 3 boxes of target ammo and a single shot shotgun (brand spanking new) that I shot 4 times. It is so light, the recoil (12 gauge) against my arthritic shoulders was more than I could bear. I'd buy that model again, but it'd have to be a .410.

Dealing with obnoxious peckar-woods coming to my door because I needed to sell an item is something as a younger guy I did. I was not well off. I don't need to do that anymore and giving away stuff brings me joy.

At this point, I've given away so much I feel like a philanthropist.

I just remembered (my wife likes me to give away stuff too) I have a brush/chipper shredder to give away and paint spray equipment that hardly seen any use. Both of these items are in like new condition. They ought to be. I bought them new and used them little...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top