JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a used tractor. I have 5 acres that is overgrown with grass and blackberries and I need to mow it down. I used to have a new Kubota tractor (back when I believed debt was normal) that had a front-end loader and a brush hog; it was great. But I don't do debt anymore, and $15k is out of my price range.

Budget is roughly $1,800~$2,000

I'm mostly interested in a tractor for mowing with a brush hog. I've been thinking about a Ford 8N, and there seem to be quite a few on CL for under $2k, some even with brush hogs. I'm a little nervous about the lack of a live PTO on the 8N and relying on an overrun coupler to keep me out of the creek though. What other tractor brands/models would be reliable?

You can rent a nice full size machine for the day and then keep your eye out for a good machine with attachments.
Estate sales out in the country have some pretty good deals when it comes to farm equipment.

Pretty much any name brand will get you there. I had 56 Allis Chalmers CA model. The only problem with that was they didn't have a standard 3 point hitch so I had to kind of cobble a brush hog to fit. Also, once it's mowed down you can probably keep it knocked down with a regular riding mower.

Mike

Portland Craigslist ad.

"98" John Deere 755 Tractor "Like New" - $1520
01111_eP6b3fmnm48_600x450.jpg

!!!Very nice tractor.;Mechanically the tractor is in excellent shape and cosmetically it is in fair shape.
'It starts easy, runs great and makes short work. Purchased new.
In excellent condition

Hey, I just came across this for some reason and thought some might get a kick out of it.. it's a utoob of RC heavy equipment doing stuff.. even fire engines putting out little fires!

I had goats once, about 8 years ago. It didn't go well. The neighbor and I still don't speak.

If thy goat offendeth thee and thy neighbor, thou must pierce thy goats throat with thy big azzed blade! Then slather thy goat with that piquant nectar over thy fire and shareth with thy neighbor, that comfort and forgiveness may dwell in his heart for ever and ever!

If thy goat offendeth thee and thy neighbor, thou must pierce thy goats throat with thy big azzed blade! Then slather thy goat with that piquant nectar over thy fire and shareth with thy neighbor, that comfort and forgiveness may dwell in his heart for ever and ever!

Good advice! Except in this specific situation: 1. They weren't my goats, and 2. There were 20 of them.

Besides, my neighbor is a bubblegum anyway.

I have a 2N Ford tractor my grandfather bought new in 1945. We use it with a 4-foot "Brush Hog" mower, as well as other implements. Don't be afraid of the non-live PTO. It is a PITA if you stall the engine with the mower, but all you have to do is reach down and disengage the PTO lever, back up to clear the blades, and re-engage the PTO.

I just mowed some 7-foot tall Scotch Broom with it this June, which put up a real fight, but the SB lost and the 2N won! :D

I've got a kubota b7500 with a brush hog and loader and it works great except for all the hills on my property. I finally ditched the brush-hog and bought a swisher 44" rough cut tow behind mower from Coastal. It has a 12.5hp briggs and stratton and is a beast. You can tow it behind a side by side, 4 wheeler, jeep whatever... It's in your price range if you already have a tow vehicle. I got more land cleared in two days with the swisher than I've ever been able to get with the tractor.

I've got a kubota b7500 with a brush hog and loader and it works great except for all the hills on my property. I finally ditched the brush-hog and bought a swisher 44" rough cut tow behind mower from Coastal. It has a 12.5hp briggs and stratton and is a beast. You can tow it behind a side by side, 4 wheeler, jeep whatever... It's in your price range if you already have a tow vehicle. I got more land cleared in two days with the swisher than I've ever been able to get with the tractor.

Interesting idea. I have thought about that in the past, but had honestly forgot about it recently. Do you suppose that would work with my little Craftsman riding lawnmower? Or maybe buy a different used riding lawnmower and remove the deck to get better clearance? How much did the Swisher run?

The problem with riding lawn tractors is that the tires are prone to flats when traversing rough terrain and thorny brush.
They're not very good with hillside traction / braking either .

The problem with riding lawn tractors is that the tires are prone to flats when traversing rough terrain and thorny brush.
They're not very good with hillside traction / braking either .

My land is pretty flat, so I'm not too worried about that. My main concern would be going over the 4' tall grass on the first pass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top