Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Town pays $40,000 after cop shoots pet

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by U201491, May 24, 2015.

1. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Town pays $40,000 after cop shoots pet

http://www.wnd.com/2015/05/judgment-day-after-cop-shoots-family-pet/

Witnesses said dog was chewing on rawhide bone when slain
    Published: 11 hours ago
    The move by the town of Erie is the latest development in a long string of such shootings on which WND has reported.

ABC’s affiliate in Denver reported the decision to make the payment to Brittany Moore for the shooting of her German shepherd, Ava, ended four years of litigation.

The dog was shot by Erie police officer Jamie Chester when he went to her home after she reported a threatening telephone call.

Charges were not filed against the officer because the Boulder County prosecuting attorney found the officer “justified in using deadly and physical force.”

But ABC said, “Lawyers for Moore said three witnesses to the shooting agreed that Ava did not show any aggressive behavior toward the officer at any time and still had a rawhide bone in her mouth when she was shot.”

Moore told ABC, “This case has never been about the money. I have spent the last four years working to make positive changes in police procedures that work to everyone’s benefit.”

In fact, officials say the police agency has launched training for officers and provided equipment, such as poles, to deal safely with family pets.

“Brittany has been steadfast in her determination to protect the public and their animals since she lost Ava,” Jennifer Edwards, attorney and founder of The Animal Law Center, told ABC. “Because of Brittany’s efforts, the Erie Police Department has adopted new, nonlethal procedures for handling canines while conducting police business.”

“Police State USA: How Orwell’s Nightmare is Becoming Our Reality,” marshals the terrifying evidence to show the world of Big Brother is much closer than we want to admit.

WND had reported only weeks earlier on the latest fatal shooting of a family pet by a police officer.

That was in New Jersey, when an officer was dispatched to a call for assistance and went to the wrong house.

NJ.com reported the shooting of Otto, a German Shepherd, prompted one commenter to suggest the slogan, “Paws up. Don’t shoot,” a reference to the “Hands up. Don’t shoot” slogan that arose from the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, Missouri.

In New Jersey, Igor Vikobratovic’s dog was shot and killed by officer Kyle Ferreira while he was investigating a burglary report. But the report came from the house across the street from the Vikobratovic home.

Police Chief Benjamin Fox said the officer knocked when he arrived and then opened a gate at the end of a driveway. The dog came out of a window in the home and the officer shot and killed him.

Across the street, the neighbors who were waiting for police told NJ.com they watched Ferreira arrive at the wrong house, go into the yard and shoot the dog.

See the local report:

The growing rash of animal shootings by police officers nationwide has law-enforcement agencies running for cover and has prompted calls by state legislators about greater accountability.

WND reported police in Utah shot a family’s dog while searching for a lost boy, prompting hundreds of pet owners to protest last June 28 in front of the Salt Lake City Police Department headquarters. They carried signs demanding “justice for Geist,” a 110-pound Weimaraner shot by a city cop within the dog’s fenced-in backyard. The “missing” boy was later found sleeping in his home.

Watch video of the man whose dog, Geist, was killed by Salt Lake City Police:

Other reports have surfaced in West Virginia, Maryland and California.

The West Virginia incident happened June 24 in a rural area of Mason County. A paramilitary unit scoured the woods bordering the property of 32-year-old Ginger Sweat. Her dog, a 6-year-old beagle-basset hound named Willy Pete, woke up from an afternoon snooze on his porch to the sound of eight officers coming out of the adjacent woods. Willy Pete scampered off to investigate. Sweat, who was putting one of her two young children down for a nap, looked out the window and saw an officer with a police dog on a leash emerge from the woods and ran out outside pleading with the officers not to shoot her dog, begging them to let her bring it inside.

The officer shot once, missing Willy Pete but sending the dog, which had arthritis in its back legs, running back toward Sweat, she told the Charleston Daily Mail. Three more shots were fired. Willy Pete fell dead in a pool of blood behind Sweat’s mobile home.

Richard Bruce Rosenthal, general counsel and co-founder of New York-based the Lexus Project, said police across the country are trending toward less tolerance and less respect for people’s pets, which he sees as part of a larger trend toward more aggressive policing tactics in America.

“It is a growing problem and part of it is, post 9/11, our judicial system has basically trashed the Constitution under the mantle of security, and personal rights cease to exist,” Rosenthal told WND.

“All over the country we have cops shooting dogs for no other reason than they can. And our courts and our elected officials, rather than protecting the citizens and the Constitution, simply see it as a way to take more power and more money. I think it’s a civil-rights violation. I think it’s a constitutional violation.”

A list of shootings:

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

She should only have been compensated replacement value. Dogs are property.

orygun and Redcap like this.
  3. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Same goes for "police" dogs.....

frauhunter, Mbeef61, Loptr and 3 others like this.
  4. U201491

Peoples colors sure come out...........
    One reason I give dogs more respect than many people... :/

Medic!, frauhunter, decklin and 9 others like this.
  5. spookshack

I was being sarcastic. :s0155:

6. 10010110

10010110 Forest Grove region Active Member

see puppycide; Radley Balko and others have been writing about it for years. It's immoral and wrong in most cases. Strange how your dog isn't considered a part of your family or even property when damaged, yet that very same dog when trained by The State is now considered on the same level as a human if you damage it.

Dyjital, Mbeef61, jbett98 and 8 others like this.
  7. spookshack

That is exactly where I was going to go with my post, but was to lazy to type it! Lol

8. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

An officer who shoots a non threatening dog will be the same officer who shoots a non threatening person. If you dont have enough compassion to treat a family pet with respect then in my opinion you have the wrong mindset for the job.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Medic!, decklin, Mbeef61 and 9 others like this.
  9. U201491

Precisely. The bond that people make with their canine companions is many times as strong as the ones made with their children. To them, what transpired is little short of cold blooded murder.

NoFlinch, Caveman Jim and rick49 like this.
  10. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

You sir are not a pet owner.

Mbeef61, shootnscoot and oli700 like this.
  11. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

So how much is your spouse/family member worth ??????

Mbeef61, Caveman Jim and U201491 like this.
  12. slimer13

Lol I can call my tv my family member but I bought it at a store just like my lab border collie mix.

13. oknow

You sir would make a good politician answering a question without answering.
    but in rebutal to buying a family member what do you say about adoption and the cost they incur.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  14. slimer13

Ok how about a goldfish? Say my kids friend killer their goldfish they were fond of. How much monetary compensation does my kid deserve?

I've never in my life not owned dogs and I've she'd more than one tear at their deaths over the years, but to say the bond is stronger than your children or that they deserve compensation of tens of thousands of dollars is beyond absurd.

I was raised on a farm and was taught that every animal has to serve a purpose. My dogs are protectors but companionship is also a valid purpose. That doesn't mean they are worth five figures.

x2ndxall likes this.
  15. oknow

another non answer

end of conversation

Mbeef61 and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Hammer, meet nail.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. slimer13

I don't really talk about my family on the internet. We are talking about animals. If people project human feelings on animals they have other issues.

x2ndxall and Redcap like this.
  18. U201491

I seem to have lost some of the conversation. Was all this in response to Slimers response. I have that one on ignore, so all I see is the name. What is all this referring to. Companion animals are as much family members as the human counterparts. The people that say otherwise have no compassion or comprehension skills whatsoever in my opinion.

19. rick49

rick49 Lewis Well-Known Member

sliymer13
    You are a real piece of work. Keep up the "good" work.

Mbeef61 and Caveman Jim like this.
  20. Sstrand

Sstrand La Grande OR Well-Known Member

I'll wager his dog likes him even though he doesn't value the dog very highly . . .

Sheldon

oli700 and rick49 like this.