Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Town Hall in Portland on Saturday 1/26

Discussion in 'Events & Get Togethers' started by ocarolan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Representatives Fagan and Reardon are hosting a town hall tomorrow. Let's attend and let them know about Burdick's anti-rights bill.

2. Smiddy

Smiddy Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Thanks for posting. I think its a great idea for locals to go down there and get some face time. Let them see the faces of their community so they know you are really out there. Otherwise they will only see the whiney gun grabbing house wives that have nothing better to do. Local guys step away from your presses for a night and represent for us.

3. ocarolan

Just a reminder, the Town Hall is tomorrow at 10:00 am!

There are only 15 people attending according to facebook. This should be an good place to voice your concerns.

Some ideas:

Stay positive. Talk about preserving your rights. Not "gun control sucks"

Appeal to emotions and universal values - persecution, self-expression, freedom of personal choice. Citing the Constitution or statistics won't persuade most people (unfortunately).

Present yourself well. Bring your kids, a female friend, or a photo of your kids to show. They already know some guys in camo resent Burdick's bill. Give them a new perspective.

4. ocarolan

Two more Town Halls coming up this weekend near Hillsboro:

This is a coffee talk with Rep Ben Unger.

5. ocarolan

6. ocarolan

And another with both Read and Senator Hass:

Events - State Senator Mark Hass

7. ocarolan

Congressman Schrader (D) is hosting two Town Halls in Milwaukie and Salem next week.

He is one of the few openly pro-rights Democrats. Kurt is facing intense pressure from his party to conform on Burdick's bill.

Milwaukie Town Hall Meeting
    Date: Tuesday, January 29th
    Time: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    5440 SE Kellogg Avenue
    Milwaukie 97222

Salem Town Hall Meeting
    Date: Wednesday, January 30th
    Time: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
    585 Liberty Street SE
    Salem 97301

Congressman Kurt Schrader : Town Hall Sign-up

8. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

Oh horse pucky. Schrader just won relection by 11 points and despite all the propaganda from both sides (like Jack Roberts, GOP quisling) he's not even close to being a "blue dog" democrat. He's voted in lock step with dems on the major stuff the whole time he's been in office. After the Arizona shooting in 2011 he blamed it all on "violent right wing rhetoric", quoted in the statesman journal.

His seat is safe until he decides to retire now. The GOP didn't even try to run against him.

9. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

I went to one of the events with Rep. Unger. I've been emailing him, but until this weekend he never gave me a straight answer. He finally answered in person and unfortunately he supports Burdick's magazine ban.

Rep. Unger himself was perfectly cordial and polite, the crowd was even fairly evenly split on the topic, unfortunately the the pro-side was rather muted. But be forewarned, the anti's were every bit as vile in person as they are on the internet. I had a difficult time finishing sentences without being interrupted, there were plenty of personal insults hurled my way, I was told I needed to be a veteran to have rights, that I was a murderer, and one lady even had the nerve to bring my kids into it in a way that shocked me so much I don't feel like I can repeat it.