JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Federal American Eagle 9mm Luger 115 Grain Total Synthetic Jacket - AE9SJ1

b98a17d4-d89a-40db-ad2b-75962750b681.jpg

I read a few reviews and nothing jumped out but wondering if any pro's on this site have used it

Reminds me of the old Federal Nyclad rounds. I believe they were trying to achieve the same thing back then. Perhaps the newer materials will perform better than the old nylon coating. I think I may even have some of those old rounds around here somewhere. The old rounds I don't think they made as round nose, just hollow points. This is what the old stuff looked like:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi246.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg94%2FDKconfiguration%2Fnyclad9mm.jpg

Reminds me of the old Federal Nyclad rounds. I believe they were trying to achieve the same thing back then. Perhaps the newer materials will perform better than the old nylon coating. I think I may even have some of those old rounds around here somewhere. The old rounds I don't think they made as round nose, just hollow points. This is what the old stuff looked like:

View attachment 380170
Most of the home-baked stuff we are using is a little different than the Syntech. The Syntech seems to be thicker and harder/less malleable than average powder coating.

Answering a question no one asked. I don't think the market gives two...
With hand loads it makes sense but I think you are right as far as a commercial enterprise. They really aren't less expensive and I don't think there is any wild increase in performance over jacketed ammo. Less jacket splash off steel maybe. Pretty negligble.

With handloads it's an excellent way to jacket a hardcast bullet inexpensively and efficiently. No messy lube sticking to dies or firearm, less lead exposure, accuracy and velocity don't suffer, no chance of powder contamination by lube within the case, no smokey lube when shooting, less need for gas checks, it fixes minor deficiencies in the casting, and the hardness of the bullet is not as crucial. I've discovered that I can run a softer bullet at higher velocities without leading and with excellent accuracy in my .351WSL and .357 Mag, which might be helpful If I was hunting critters (I don't but some do). So for handloading it makes a lot of sense with no real added cost.

Just call me a greaser. One a these days I hope to get into coating bullets.
I think I saw Hickok45 plinking some of that Federal.. seemed to work.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top