JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Depriming a bunch of .223/5.56 bras and have run across case necks that are damaged. My question is will the Hornady resizing die "fix" the problem?? Or are they a candidate for cutting the necks and turning into 300 B/O??

A5AFBAB3-79B7-4033-9A7A-04ECB1B2ED53.jpeg 6D7CD32E-124B-4988-9C91-D7C59E07C59A.jpeg

Depriming a bunch of .223/5.56 bras and have run across case necks that are damaged. My question is will the Hornady resizing die "fix" the problem?? Or are they a candidate for cutting the necks and turning into 300 B/O??

View attachment 852465 View attachment 852466
Brass is actually pretty resilient. An injury like that isn't a safety issue specially up there on the neck. If the rest of the case is sound it's likely fine. Probably not cases you would want to use in competition though.

I've loaded far, far worse than that. I wouldn't even look twice at a little ding like that. :)

For the record, I don't recommend reloading brass this bad, but yes, these two photos are of the same brass, before and after a couple loadings:

IMG_9742[1].jpg IMG_9847[1].jpg

I've loaded far, far worse than that. I wouldn't even look twice at a little ding like that. :)

For the record, I don't recommend reloading brass this bad, but yes, these two photos are of the same brass, before and after a couple loadings:

View attachment 852559 View attachment 852562
That was a great thread. I can't remember did you get those straightened out with a soft load the first time out?

I annealed the necks and shoulders before even starting to straighten them, otherwise I think a couple might have cracked. Then I carefully straightened them out as best I could, and loaded them. Since the bases and primer pockets looked fine, I loaded them with a moderate plinking load.

A lot of people think that a dent in the case decreases cases capacity and therefore increases pressure, but the dent will iron out in the chamber before chamber pressure gets anywhere near maximum.

Disclaimer: I don't post stuff like this to try and show that you can just load willy-nilly with no concern for safety. I just like to tinker, and some things are more critical than others. A dented neck is one of those things that typically isn't very critical.

I annealed the necks and shoulders before even starting to straighten them, otherwise I think a couple might have cracked. Then I carefully straightened them out as best I could, and loaded them. Since the bases and primer pockets looked fine, I loaded them with a moderate plinking load.

A lot of people think that a dent in the case decreases cases capacity and therefore increases pressure, but the dent will iron out in the chamber before chamber pressure gets anywhere near maximum.

Disclaimer: I don't post stuff like this to try and show that you can just load willy-nilly with no concern for safety. I just like to tinker, and some things are more critical than others. A dented neck is one of those things that typically isn't very critical.
Someone that looks a lot like me may have straightened out a few case necks with a screwdriver and light loaded them to reform...see above disclaimer :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top