JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yeah doesn't seem like many gun smiths retorque barrels and with the prices right now on them new decided what's the point. the barrel nut I used for the free float handguard doesn't have timing marks for the gas tube so don't think they had any issues with that when I had the barrel torqued on. since I had to check the head space anyways I figured I'd let them do that.

Last Edited:
yeah doesn't seem like many gun smiths retorque barrels (barrel extensions) and with the prices right now on them new decided what's the point. the barrel nut I used for the free float handguard doesn't have timing marks for the gas tube so don't think they had any issues with that when I had the barrel torqued on. since I had to check the head space anyways I figured I'd let them do that.
The barrel nut, no matter what kind is not affected in this.
It's the locating dowel on the barrel extension that would cause the gas block to be out of time if someone tried for a "do-over" on a loose barrel extension.
If it was a really expensive barrel there are two fixes that a talented GS could do, but not worth it for an average barrel. (Plug and re-drill gas port or re-work BE and chamber)

So first the AR barrelmaker torques on the BE. Now the BE and barrel are one.
Then the locating dowel on the BE (wherever it ends up) is used for top dead center on the barrel.
Then the gas port is drilled at TDC.

Last Edited:
copy that meant for the barrel nut torque this one i used didn't have any teeth on it like a standard nut does so as far as barrel nut torque you just torque to what it is and the gas tube isn't effected by it.

guntec barrel nut

ar-15-free-floating-handguard-barrel-nut-for-ultralight-jk-series-short-steel-a35846-500x500.jpg

yeah which id imagine was a pain in the bubblegum but with holes all around over torquing I doubt was a concern. they did a great job though lines up perfectly and sits flush with the rail of the upper. thought there would be a gap but really satisfied with the guntec rail for the price.

I dont suppose you have the extension still. I need one for a .22LR project where the gas port alignment doesnt matter and I'm too cheap to pay $15 for a new one.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top