JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Toronto police seize 400 guns in safety push
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 | 5:48 PM ET Comments43Recommend13
CBC News

Toronto police have seized almost 400 firearms from registered owners in a six-month push aimed at reducing the number of guns on the city's streets.

In March, officers began soliciting registered firearm owners across the city as part of what they call the Safe City Project. Many of those who had to surrender their firearms had either let their registrations lapse, or had stashed their guns improperly under beds or in closets.

The Canadian Firearms Registry stipulates guns must be stored in a secure place.

No charges were laid in the push, police said Tuesday.

Targeting people who had registered their guns is a preventative measure, said Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair.

"Legal handgun owners are not dangerous individuals," Blair told reporters at a Tuesday news conference. "But we know from experience that their firearms can become extremely dangerous when they get into the hands of criminals. And so we have undertaken a number of initiatives to reduce the availability of those handguns."

Police estimate there are still 4,000 guns in Ontario that are being improperly stored.

However, a critic says, the push to target registered gun owners is not getting at the root of the problem.

"The system doesn't work. It's broken. It doesn't target the right people," Greg Farrant, a spokesman for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, told CBC News. People who are barred from owning weapons are the ones who should be registered and tracked, he said.

There are about 2.3 million registered guns in Ontario.

<broken link removed>

Correct me if I am wrong but in California you have to show proof of ownership of a safe before purchasing a firearm? When I was at UO I told my friend from Cali(also at UO) that I was going to buy a shotgun, he asked if I wanted to borrow his Safe information to prove ownership and I couldn't figure out why. He finally said well you don't have a safe so how can you buy a gun? I told him why and he was amazed. Sorry for the long story lol, just stating why i thought you need a safe in cali.

Correct me if I am wrong but in California you have to show proof of ownership of a safe before purchasing a firearm? When I was at UO I told my friend from Cali(also at UO) that I was going to buy a shotgun, he asked if I wanted to borrow his Safe information to prove ownership and I couldn't figure out why. He finally said well you don't have a safe so how can you buy a gun? I told him why and he was amazed. Sorry for the long story lol, just stating why i thought you need a safe in cali.

"As required by law in California you must either own a CA approved gun safe or purchase a new gun lock for each firearm purchased."

Since every new gun you buy in California comes with a lock, you don't have to own a safe. I lived there many years and bought a number of guns, never was asked if I had a safe. They are making in harder and harder to buy a gun though.

Most of the Law Enforcement I've talked to say they would refuse orders. But when the moment comes, most of them that SAY they'll refuse, obviously won't. And then there's Hillsboro PD, who should just close up shop and not bother.

I'm not familiar with Canadian Law, but do Candadian citizens attest that they will allow the police to search their home once a firearm is purchased?

Or do they just not have anything like the 4th amendment?

When is California going to start doing home-to-home public safety gun confiscation, I mean gun lock checks?

ZOMG!!11! Improperly stored firearms! That's an appalling story.

On the topic of local LEO's refusing to follow orders for this, is there any way that their unions could justify a strike if this was proposed?

One of the things that scares me is it's easier to coerce them in bad economic times like this, after all what are they going to do quit and find work somewhere else?

This came up during the fiasco with the Clinton assault ban. ATF contacted LE agencies around the nation to get a feeling about helping them with banned guns, i.e. going to selected houses. Most said they would not help, or comply with any order from the ATF.

Agents came around and we had a meeting with them, and most told them to shove it.

Yes, there will be some sheep that will go along with whatever is asked of them, without even thinking about it. But it is surprising how many have joined the NRA this last year.

I see a problem on both sides of the coin...the public won't know which LE's are pro gun, and the LE's don't know who to trust. A 2 edged sword for sure...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top