JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which build

• Classic A2 Rifle

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • 7.5 AR Pistol

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 8.5” AR Pistol

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another 10.5” Pistol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hey folks, I was lucky enough to snag a lower recently. In doing so I was initially set on doing another pistol build.. now Im not sure. Ive got a couple rifles and a pistol already.. but I was contemplating doing one more pistol build. This next firearm is going to be in 5.56.. since Ive got the mags and ammo already. Didn't feel like going out and buying a bundle of new proprietary mags.

That being said: Im torn on building a 7.5 or 8.5 pistol build. The one thing I dont have is a short AR pistol build. Thus Im seeking advice.. Sort of a nudge in the right direction.

This isnt about the practicality, SHTF, EOTWAWKI..etc. Simply a range toy project that functions and does what is asked at 100 maybe 300 yards with a minimal investment. (Think PSA pistol build)

Im curious about who all out there has built a short AR pistol, is there any cycling issues, any special muzzle device or buffer needed for better gas pressure, any 5.56 key-holing issues with such a short barrel at 100-150 yards? Sure, there is tons of info online, but various forums devolve into practicality or gear snobbery..etc. Im simply seeking first hand knowledge of short AR entry level, budget builds.

I vote 7.5 because they are pretty common for one. Secondly, you'll end up adding length anyways on a 7.5 or 8.5 in terms of some form of forwarding muzzle device, unless you like obnoxious guns! The shorter it starts, the shorter it will stay after adding a 1"-3" muzzle device

You don't lose precision with a short barrel, you lose velocity. With that said, keyholes can happen with heavy pills as the barrel isn't as long as a proper 16-20" and may not get them up to spin to stabilize.

My little build I did up 6-7 years ago was fun. I could easily hit targets out to 250 yards with it. It dropped a lot faster, but it was doable. It was light and easy to manipulate. It was obnoxiously loud, even with the forwarding break. It still, even with the pig on it, spit some nice fireballs. I sold it a year or so after finishing it.

Here is a picture of it, it had a Noveske pig on it under the rail. As you can see, it's nearly as big (due to muzzle device) as the AK which has a 10.5" barrel.

B1B15042-03D2-4AD1-A729-2CAB50C2F072.jpeg

7.5" is good. Gas port hole is relatively small and ran fine with a regular gas block and carbine buffer. Brass was kicking out at 4-5 o'clock. Recently changed to a H2 buffer but haven't ran it yet.

I just don't get the attraction for 5.56 with that short of a barrel. :s0092:

I'd say go the other way and do a 11.5" or 12.5".
I hear ya. But Im in a position now where I own quite a few things already. Just after something different that can use the mags and ammo I currently have. Its more the lust of what I dont own that gets me most of the time. Odds are Ill assemble this pistol and grow bored or find its performance lack luster. I own a 10.5 AR already and I get pretty stellar performance out of that.
but one thing I don't currently own is a 7.5 inch build. I suppose you could also blame my current interest for the most compact AR pistol possible on the fact that I've been collecting pocket pistols for the last year.

Do the A2....whats another pistol gonna do that your current ones dont?
I saw a member post a A2 rifle kit for sale. It's truly tempting. For me that's probably the most iconic, classic rifle build. I truly wouldn't mind owning another but I'm sort of after some thing I don't currently have. I'm truly on the fence about it.. seeing if there's massive drawbacks in terms of performance or severe keyholing issues.. perhaps then I suppose I can table my current interest in such a short build. I'm sort of after some thing I don't currently have mostly because this newly acquired lower is getting the brain going, circling different build options.

I'm truly on the fence about it, if there's massive drawbacks in terms of performance or severe keyholing issues then I suppose I can table my current interest in such a short build. In all honesty there's really nothing a 7.5 inch pistol would do that my current pistol or rifle's couldn't do. I just have a lower burning a hole in my safe.

I vote 7.5 because they are pretty common for one. Secondly, you'll end up adding length anyways on a 7.5 or 8.5 in terms of some form of forwarding muzzle device, unless you like obnoxious guns! The shorter it starts, the shorter it will stay after adding a 1"-3" muzzle device

You don't lose precision with a short barrel, you lose velocity. With that said, keyholes can happen with heavy pills as the barrel isn't as long as a proper 16-20" and may not get them up to spin to stabilize.

My little build I did up 6-7 years ago was fun. I could easily hit targets out to 250 yards with it. It dropped a lot faster, but it was doable. It was light and easy to manipulate. It was obnoxiously loud, even with the forwarding break. It still, even with the pig on it, spit some nice fireballs. I sold it a year or so after finishing it.

Here is a picture of it, it had a Noveske pig on it under the rail. As you can see, it's nearly as big (due to muzzle device) as the AK which has a 10.5" barrel.

View attachment 818921
Both of those are excellent looking pistols. Were you getting decent cycling without having to add a forward blast device or any other concussive gas boosting devices? I've read some misinformation online.. lots of opinions but not a ton of first hand experience. Short of the obnoxious blast did you find a need to use a heavier buffer or use a forward blast device to increase the pistols reliability? Ive read some folks had to.
I do agree about putting a flash hider on shorter barrels, the fireball is a bit much. I can imagine a 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel would be quite the blast. Im not too into the blast, show type stuff. So Ill certainly slap on some muzzle device that mitigates the flash.

I just checked the poll, seems like another A2 rifle build is the favored way to go!

A1 wasnt on your list....do that :)

Thats next on my list, I scored a Wolf T91 upper for my last build so retro got put on hold for now.
YOU GOT A T91 upper? Have you checked it out? Is it well made? I had a post a while back, was playing with the idea of getting one myself! Dang.. I might go that route. T91, A1 rifle build. That'd be fun. Wasnt something I had thought of, but now the ideas are rolling.

Both of those are excellent looking pistols. Were you getting decent cycling without having to add a forward blast device or any other concussive gas boosting devices? I've read some misinformation online.. lots of opinions but not a ton of first hand experience. Short of the obnoxious blast did you find a need to use a heavier buffer or use a forward blast device to increase the pistols reliability? Ive read some folks had to.
I do agree about putting a flash hider on shorter barrels, the fireball is a bit much. I can imagine a 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel would be quite the blast. Im not too into the blast, show type stuff. So Ill certainly slap on some muzzle device that mitigates the flash.

I just checked the poll, seems like another A2 rifle build is the favored way to go!
Once completely finished it did not cycle, short stroking. I was running a regular spring and carbine buffer. I had to open the gas port two sizes to get proper cycling and it was gassed just right after that. After that it ran like a champ. I started with a DPMS Levang muzzle device and it did ok reducing flash and overall sound. Eventually upgrading to the Noveske and a new rail. The Noveske helped with blast and flash more than the DPMS.

YOU GOT A T91 upper? Have you checked it out? Is it well made? I had a post a while back, was playing with the idea of getting one myself! Dang.. I might go that route. T91, A1 rifle build. That'd be fun. Wasnt something I had thought of, but now the ideas are rolling.
A T91 build would be slick. I bought an upper last year and it has become my kiss gun. Shorts very well. Only con was the front sight/gas block was canted. So my fixed rear is damn near adjusted all the way to one side.

Another thought, go watch some YouTube videos on level 3 armor and 20" barrels. Same ammo from a 16" to a 20" and you start defeating armor. Maybe that will help you decide if the A1 build is worthy!

Got it sighted in a week ago with a Primary Arms 2.5x prism...pretty happy..didnt care for my reloads, but shot Moa with Ss109 and a little tighter with some 50gr Fiochhi varmit loads. Hopefully Ill get back to some PR matches this year to wring it out. I do like the ACSS reticle in the PA, shoulda bought one years ago.

I saw a member post a A2 rifle kit for sale. It's truly tempting. For me that's probably the most iconic, classic rifle build. I truly wouldn't mind owning another but I'm sort of after some thing I don't currently have. I'm truly on the fence about it.. seeing if there's massive drawbacks in terms of performance or severe keyholing issues.. perhaps then I suppose I can table my current interest in such a short build. I'm sort of after some thing I don't currently have mostly because this newly acquired lower is getting the brain going, circling different build options.

I'm truly on the fence about it, if there's massive drawbacks in terms of performance or severe keyholing issues then I suppose I can table my current interest in such a short build. In all honesty there's really nothing a 7.5 inch pistol would do that my current pistol or rifle's couldn't do. I just have a lower burning a hole in my safe.
I have a 7.5" AR and it does not keyhole on 55 grain. On something heavier it might but it very well may not. I had no problem with it cycling. With the proper spring and buffer it should not require that you open up the gas port. Get some Tula steel case 5.56 for some great fireballs! It doesn't seem to have any flash suppressor in it.

I have a 7.5" AR and it does not keyhole on 55 grain. On something heavier it might but it very well may not. I had no problem with it cycling. With the proper spring and buffer it should not require that you open up the gas port. Get some Tula steel case 5.56 for some great fireballs! It doesn't seem to have any flash suppressor in it.
So a heavy buffer should aid with reliable cycling? Ive seen that a few times now. Did you have issues running a plain stock buffer?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top