JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which next revolver?

• BFR in .30⧸30 WCF

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Schofield in .38 Special

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • Interesting, may I offer a different option, in the same vein ...

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Revolvers ain't tacticool. U need a Har Pernt with laser sight and big clip. 4 realz.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) IDK if those have shoulder things that go up, but I just crapped myself in my safe space!

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
But......we are talking wheelguns so-I choose the 45-70. Only reason is because I find my 500S&W tame, at least for the first three or four cylinder fulls.

Schofield for the win, and it just so happens I know where there are a few ( and a few more) in the various calibers, including .44, which would elevate you to super cool status if you ask me!

Dammit, I was gunna say "Between the two, the Schofield for the win". Would you please stop plagiarizing my posts before I make them?

I used a 30-30 last fall. I call it 30 WCF, cuz it sounds cooler.
170gr a.jpg

170gr b.jpg

Thanks all. Candidly, like most (though not all) things gun related I've already completely lost interest. (And that is not the only front I've mentally disengaged for reasons unknown. Though one of two that were shockingly surprising, considering the panoply of life experience. Giggle, ennui, honk. :s0112:)

Like many things, lost interest, and wandered away from this idea. However, whilst farting around on GB tonight, oh my goodness, BFR in .50Æ:

pix400902330.jpg

Hmmm ....

Don't buy it. I know that it sounds odd on a gun forum compared to the "buy both" answer. Would owning or shooting that 50 AE BFR give you any sporting fun or sense of accomplishment that your existing guns don't?

If you're just shopping for guns to buy because you're bored (it takes one to know one) then maybe a different hobby would be more intriguing and less expensive. I've made it a point to put my phone down more often and take the kids outside for bike rides and catch. 45 F is not cold with any decent jacket and hat. Fulfilling in a way that no material purchase can remotely match. This is a recommendation from me to myself, and thought maybe it would be a worthwhile suggestion for you too. I've started reading Walden and will hopefully begin sticking to my own advice and resisting temptation more often.

Indeed and well said @User 1234. I've been in that zone for a while now. (As well as thoroughly bored with other interests as well, but that is another topic.) Force of habit to look at GB more than anything else. :s0155:

And like a beautiful woman the .30-30 round is tall and elegant, well defined, sharp shouldered and stands well.
The 7.62 X 39 is an ugly cartridge. Short, stubby with a unnatural appearance, hideous in a steel case as well as the firearms it is chambered for.

One simply can't argue with the facts.

It seems obvious that you should avoid the mental anguish and buy BOTH. Simple. :)

Though in jest, and a well worn one at that, this appears to be the correct response.

Tried the BFR in .50Æ; exquisitely made to the point I am amazed by the craftmanship. But even ammo in that oddball dried up and, curiously, the recoil, muzzle flash/flip, was absolutely brutal. Noisy, snappy, just totally unpleasant. And I'm not one normally deterred by recoil and the cartridge I shoot the most out of a handgun or light rifle these days is the .44 Magnum. Still, too much of a good thing. Sold for, basically, what I paid for it. Out a little time and pittance of money. New owner is happy as a clam, so win all around.

Acquired the BFR in .30⧸30 WCF. Absolutely gorgeously made piece of machinery. Cartoonishly large, though, bizarrely and most joyfully, points and balances surprisingly gracefully. Felt recoil is almost nothing. Significantly less painful that most .44 Magnum loads I shoot out of a Model 29. Concussion and muzzle blast is, well, more than noticeable (teehee). Hang on to it? For now. Why? Dunno. Fun making steel dance, blasting bowling pins, and might be enjoyable to launch metallic silhouettes with this one. And maybe some day will return to hunting too. Or, candidly, the machine work is interesting to my eyes.

Just bought the Schofield on GB.* Recently jettisoned another pistol that, frankly, I won't use much, so the old switcheroo in progress. Looks like it will be a fun one. We'll see; just part of the exploration, like so many other delights. :s0155:

* This rather flamboyant fellow:
extravagante-38-jpg.jpg

I want to know the recoil of the 30/30 pistol.
You could even reload those with black powder, or equivalent, think of the fireball.
It's not really that bad, as your shoulder does not absorb the recoil. Upward and backward movement disperses much of it. The plowshare grip frame also allows the gun to rotate in your hand. Not a .22LR, but not a killer. Still, unless hunting or for silhouette, the BFR is not really an all 'rounder.

It's not really that bad, as your shoulder does not absorb the recoil. Upward and backward movement disperses much of it. The plowshare grip frame also allows the gun to rotate in your hand. Not a .22LR, but not a killer. Still, unless hunting or for silhouette, the BFR is not really an all 'rounder.

This is what I find too; I would put the felt recoil around something .357 Magnum-ish. (I realize apples/oranges as the revolvers are very different size/weight-wise, but actually sensation, not a lot different to me.) Though the muzzle blast and felt concussion is most assuredly more noticeable.

Beyond that, haven't done any scientific research as to ballistics down range, but it spanks steel gongs and bowling pins with authority. :s0155:

This is what I find too; I would put the felt recoil around something .357 Magnum-ish. (I realize apples/oranges as the revolvers are very different size/weight-wise, but actually sensation, not a lot different to me.) Though the muzzle blast and felt concussion is most assuredly more noticeable.

Beyond that, haven't done any scientific research as to ballistics down range, but it spanks steel gongs and bowling pins with authority. :s0155:
To its credit, it is well made, very stout, most likely extremely accurate and can use pointed bullets for down-range performance. Not to mention that, in pre-apocalyptic times, .30-30 was the one caliber you could find in almost all country and hardwares stores.

After owning a S&W500, which was really cool, I've never had any attraction to the 50AE. The 30-30 in a BFR would be a lot of fun, I would think. Also, it would make a fantastic gun for hunting from a treestand.
Of course the blast and flash is great. It's friggin rifle round, for God's sake. I'll bet you giggle every time it's fired, right @CountryGent ?

To its credit, it is well made, very stout, most likely extremely accurate and can use pointed bullets for down-range performance. Not to mention that, in pre-apocalyptic times, .30-30 was the one caliber you could find in almost all country and hardwares stores.
On that note, nobody seems to want 6mm.

Not to mention that, in pre-apocalyptic times, .30-30 was the one caliber you could find in almost all country and hardwares stores.

Indeed. Though, sadly, the hardware store I frequent most days is even out. Ditto other local vendors. Fortunately, we have an ample supply put together before everything went nuts.

I'll bet you giggle every time it's fired, right @CountryGent ?

Well, true enough, there is undeniably a big grin factor. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top