JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which next revolver?

• BFR in .30⧸30 WCF

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Schofield in .38 Special

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • Interesting, may I offer a different option, in the same vein ...

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Revolvers ain't tacticool. U need a Har Pernt with laser sight and big clip. 4 realz.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) IDK if those have shoulder things that go up, but I just crapped myself in my safe space!

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
@CountryGent ... I voted other options. May I suggest a Thompson Contender, or it's big brother the Encore, for rifle cartridges in a handgun. I've got a Super 14 Contender with barrels for 223, 35 Remmy and 45-70. That pretty much scratches the rifle cartridge in handgun itch.
Have you explored the 10mm realm yet? You might enjoy that round and the guns that shoot it.

Have you explored the 10mm realm yet? You might enjoy that round and the guns that shoot it.

Funny you mention it, because a Ten was recently added:

10-automatica-jpg.jpg

As somebody also infatuated with top break revolvers, I'd have to get the Schofield.
Late to the thread but ditto this.

I like the appearance of the Schofield and 'kind of' kicked around the idea of one myself after reading the many posts of an owner on another forum who really enjoyed his!

Haha. Thanks for feeding my shenanigans.

Along those lines, I have a 12-gauge pistol. Loud and fireball-producing would be an understatement. Though, like the rest of the scatterguns, I never shoot it these days.

briefcase-jpg.700345

Schofield for cool points but I'd buy another BFR if it was me, get hold of me if you'd like to try a 45-70 BFR, it's totally pointless but its a lot of smiles too.

That is the question I keep asking; got various .38 Specials. The Schofield is super neat-o. But does it really do anything those don't, ballistically speaking? Not really, though the shooting experience might be a tad different.

The BFR, probably and would, perhaps, spark new experimentation.

Today was busy, but I did watch some vids online, and the Schofield is looking much more interesting than the BFR. Or I could take the same dough and drop it into our investment portfolio. (In the perpetual war of Wackiness versus Reason, the former was on an unprecedented winning streak for some years. Alas, the latter's counteroffensive launched a short while ago has turned the tide in the opposite direction. Sigh. :p)

:D
Today was busy, but I did watch some vids online, and the Schofield is looking much more interesting than the BFR. Or I could take the same dough and drop it into our investment portfolio. (In the perpetual war of Wackiness versus Reason, the former was on an unprecedented winning streak for some years. Alas, the latter's counteroffensive launched a short while ago has turned the tide in the opposite direction. Sigh. :p)
Invest it into Tesla stock and in six months you can buy both :D

The recoil from the BFR isn't anything to be scared of. My wife loved shooting it. Was it not so finicky on reloads (I have a theory on this...) I would still have it. Would run any factory fodder out with no problems, and super accurate to boot!

That's the best looking AutoRevolver ever made, and is definitely on my wish list!
That's cool. I still think it's butt ugly.
@Ura-Ki , Is that related to the Rhino in any way?

Oh, I found it now. Mateba.

Skip the obsolete 30-30 & go for the BFR in 45-70 Government.
It's easy to reload as its a straight-wall cartridge, lots of good molds available for casting your own, & you can reload it down to very nice levels of recoil.

Skip the obsolete 30-30
How do you rationalize the .30-30 as 'obsolete' ?

.30-30 is widely used by many and evidence is it is growing in popularity. Look at the interest in used .30-30 rifles and look how fast the ammo sells when advertised as well as used brass. It's also a pretty popular Henry offering as well.

In 'normal' times .30-30 ammo is readily available on the shelves and doesn't collect dust (like some other calibers) - how does this equate to 'obsolete'

Oh boy....where to start, RVTECH...
Most lever action manufacturers are moving away from the obsolete 30-30 to better & more popular calibers like 500 S&W, 6.5 Creedmore, etc & there's plenty more too.

30-30 just won't die. There are just so many better lever calibers that are ballistically superior. 7.62X39 is better than 30-30 & lots of companies chamber new production in that caliber. 30-30 lever makers are just deluding themselves & wasting production.

No major manufacturer has chambered 30-30 in bolt rifles, not modern sporting rifles and no AR15's are chambered in 30-30. Nobody makes 30-30 *uppers* or kits for AR platforms.
Any company make new top break or falling block or single shot 30-30's? Nope.

Ammo manufacturer's sell ammo to satisfy demand, hell, Winchester 307 shooters snap up all production but no makers chamber new 307 rifles. I don't know how many lever guns Henry makes in 30-30 but I'll be it's not their #1 seller.......

No major manufacturer has chambered 30-30 in bolt rifles
Uh, yes they have - Remington in the model 788 and Savage in their model 340.

Nobody makes 30-30 *uppers* or kits for AR platforms.
Why would they ? This is not really a benchmark to suggest the 'obsolescence' of the .30-30. Obviously the rimmed, long, .30-30 cartridge would hardly be practical (or technically feasible) in any semi-auto platform. Similarly it was never highly popular in bolt action rifles due to rimless cartridges being better suited mechanically in bolt action rifles.

There are just so many better lever calibers that are ballistically superior. 7.62X39 is better than 30-30 & lots of companies chamber new production in that caliber.
7.62 X 39 may be better than .30-30 - as are LOTS of cartridges - but most aren't chambered in lever action guns. 'Better than' is NOT the reason most own a lever action rifle.

Any company make new top break or falling block or single shot 30-30's? Nope.
Yup - Henry does.

Ballistic superiority is hardly a reason for any round to be highly popular and I can think of many as examples.

The .30-30 survives on tradition, practicality in it's originally intended 'platform' the lever action and the wide range of bullets and loads that are a benefit to reloaders.

To say the .30-30 is 'obsolete' is akin to saying saying 'Muscle cars of the 60's & 70's are obsolete - in a way they are but you would never know it from the numbers being restored, collected and driven and the prices they command.

If your 'scope' of firearms is limited to MSRs, 7.62 X 39s, AR 'Platforms' etc. I would suggest you spend some time and 'ameliorate' your knowledge to include classic rifles such as lever actions, single shots, bolt actions and others as well.

That said I am off for a woods walk and some shooting of my 1899 WInchester .30-30!

Last Edited:
All very good points @RVTECH. We love our 30-30 and appreciate that's it's not available in an AR. Without diversity in my guns I'd get bored. AR's are absolutely boring to me but I do own them. Steel and wood give me wood and......well, you guys will get my point-LOL.

We love our 30-30 and appreciate that's it's not available in an AR.
I am simply trying to instill some understanding and appreciation for the essential history and tradition of the classic American Guns that have so well defined us.

And like a beautiful woman the .30-30 round is tall and elegant, well defined, sharp shouldered and stands well.

The 7.62 X 39 is an ugly cartridge. Short, stubby with a unnatural appearance, hideous in a steel case as well as the firearms it is chambered for.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top