JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which next revolver?

• BFR in .30⧸30 WCF

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Schofield in .38 Special

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • Interesting, may I offer a different option, in the same vein ...

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Revolvers ain't tacticool. U need a Har Pernt with laser sight and big clip. 4 realz.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (gasp!) IDK if those have shoulder things that go up, but I just crapped myself in my safe space!

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Late to the party but just for information's sake:

I've got a decent amount of .3030 put aside to feed a Winchester 94.
See below

Another factor; I am familiar with the ballistics of the .3030 WCF out of a lever-action carbine. Not so much out of a 7½" barrel. Certainly different.
I have no experience with the BFR revolver. But I've owned T/C Contenders a few times, have had a couple of .30-30 barrels. With the 10" barrel, I had more favorable experience with faster powers than are typically found in .30-30 rifle loads.

One simply can't argue with the facts.

Though in jest, and a well worn one at that, this appears to be the correct response.

Tried the BFR in .50Æ; exquisitely made to the point I am amazed by the craftmanship. But even ammo in that oddball dried up and, curiously, the recoil, muzzle flash/flip, was absolutely brutal. Noisy, snappy, just totally unpleasant. And I'm not one normally deterred by recoil and the cartridge I shoot the most out of a handgun or light rifle these days is the .44 Magnum. Still, too much of a good thing. Sold for, basically, what I paid for it. Out a little time and pittance of money. New owner is happy as a clam, so win all around.

Acquired the BFR in .30⧸30 WCF. Absolutely gorgeously made piece of machinery. Cartoonishly large, though, bizarrely and most joyfully, points and balances surprisingly gracefully. Felt recoil is almost nothing. Significantly less painful that most .44 Magnum loads I shoot out of a Model 29. Concussion and muzzle blast is, well, more than noticeable (teehee). Hang on to it? For now. Why? Dunno. Fun making steel dance, blasting bowling pins, and might be enjoyable to launch metallic silhouettes with this one. And maybe some day will return to hunting too. Or, candidly, the machine work is interesting to my eyes.

Just bought the Schofield on GB.* Recently jettisoned another pistol that, frankly, I won't use much, so the old switcheroo in progress. Looks like it will be a fun one. We'll see; just part of the exploration, like so many other delights. :s0155:

* This rather flamboyant fellow:
View attachment 866918
How does ot shoot? Did you end up getting ot in 38 or 45lc? Great looking gun.

If I was going with a stupid big wheel-gun it would be .460
A buddy had one of these. Then 2. Then he couldn't find a way to get his money back out of them.
The short barrel .(4")460 still had less than 1 cylinder full run thru it. It had not just muzzle rise/flash, but also just wretched acoustics even standing behind him, it still nearly ripped the front off my hair shirt....
The long barrel (7.5?)was good for nearly a whole boxful before he had to give it up. That was after 4 range trips to try to find a wayt to tolerate that one.

A buddy had one of these. Then 2. Then he couldn't find a way to get his money back out of them.
The short barrel .(4")460 still had less than 1 cylinder full run thru it. It had not just muzzle rise/flash, but also just wretched acoustics even standing behind him, it still nearly ripped the front off my hair shirt....
The long barrel (7.5?)was good for nearly a whole boxful before he had to give it up. That was after 4 range trips to try to find a wayt to tolerate that one.
The exact reasons I love mine!!! Thank you for reminding me. I don't fire it much at the range if there's others around out of respect but I do use it as a useful tool to "move" someone who's moved in too close. They get the hint real fast when I swap from a 9mm revolver or a 22lr revolver to my 460 or 500 revolver.

A 30-30 handgun? Yipe! I'd better run for my safe space. Hmmm. I don't seem to have one. Oh well. I'll just take the tablet set on the page with the 30-30 outdoors and stomp and wh!zz on it. That's what the lady leader of a goat flock did when I tried to feed them something she disapproved of. After she did that all the others in the goat flock came up and stomped and wh!zzed on my offering too. Talk about graphic communication.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top