Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Topping off

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by jordanka16, Jun 3, 2013.

1. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

The round in the chamber thread revival got me thinking about something.

Does anyone top off their magazine after chambering a round? I personally never do because I'm worried about reliability with so much spring pressure, but to be fair I've never really tested it. What about everyone else?

2. westcoastal

westcoastal north coast of oregon Active Member

Always do 13 plus 1 is more than 13

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Yep. Unless I'm just at the range. Why limit yourself down a round if you don't have to? That last round could be the one that saves your bacon.
    I've never had the first round in a topped off mag cause a failure in an otherwise reliable gun.

4. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This thread reminds me of the episode in Breaking Bad when Hank runs out of ammo and finds a single round on the ground.

parallax and (deleted member) like this.
  5. soyeah

soyeah WA New Member

Is that like the "freelance" round Colion Noir jokes about in one of his videos? :laugh:

6. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I do it all the time, we call it "Combat Reloads" and will top off several times while shooting just to ensure you don't hear "Click" instead of "Bang". Believe me, in my group of shooting buddies the sound of click brings out shall we say certain descriptions of less than manly behaviors. :laugh:

7. BigStick

BigStick Sherwood, OR Well-Known Member

+1 is standard carry method for most people. Any quality brand firearm will not have reliability issues with a full magazine. If you are worried about reliability, I would consider getting a better quality firearm.

Do you read any magazines or professional reviews, or even advertisements? When describing gun capacity, they almost always refere to it as 8+1 or 12+1, etc. That is what they are refering to. It is expected and advertised by manufacturers.

Sgt Nambu, JVK, Brutus57 and 3 others like this.
  8. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

Always.

9. nastybynature

nastybynature ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Active Member

^^This^^

10. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yes... always +1... I'd do +2 or +3 if I could get away with it. ;)

11. Spielmannsfluch

Spielmannsfluch Oregon City Member

With a 1911, doesn't feel safe 7+1. I prefer locked and loaded as opposed to loaded, locked, topped off.

Just my two drachma.

12. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

No. In fact I was recently recommended by a CJTC firearms instructor to remove a bullet from all rifle mags (from 30 to 29).

Some guns (mainly the MP5) won't seat a full 30rnd mag with the bolt closed. I've never had or ever heard of this issue with a pistol, but it's easy to check. If you do do the +1, I would close the slide, insert a full mag, load the first bullet and assess how easy it was to feed. If you get a lot of resistance from the round being chambered (from the drag of the slide on the top of the bullet) then I would not recommend doing this with your pistol/rifle. In fact, I would then go down a bullet on any secondary magazines you carry.

13. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I usually use one mag(a 7 round mag) to chamber a round then insert my full mag (8 round mag) into my pistol... At the range all my 7 round mags just feed one round into the chamber...I guess they have a easy life:bluelaugh:

14. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Yes. Always, unless at range.

15. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

This^^^

16. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Never thought to do that because I don't carry, but it makes sense to do it if you carry on a daily basis. Hell, I don't even load all 16 rounds into my xD9 mags. That last round is a bithc to get in, so I stop at 15.

17. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

define your so called assault rifle, please describe it to me. I'v never seen one

18. oknow

a m16 or m4 are just that an m16 or m4 there is no such thing as an assault rifle, an assault rifle is a made up word for political reasons.
    so yes a picture would be something I would really like to see if you can find one
    otherwise don't add to the anti's promotion by using their made up words unless you are one of them.

19. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I always add an extra round after chambering.

20. oknow

first off I think you mean your other left arm for some of us we call it our right arm.

so the new military has the Nomenclature name of assault rifle instead of m16 or m4 Interesting (I stand corrected...NOT)

and the anti's only started when the brady bill was introduced not

that's what I am doing but you seem to have a hard time understanding that

ps. I do thank you for your service