JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Reactions
I know that a few years ago, the discussion about firearms, and non-related went thru a whole over haul. And I can see with good cause, seeing the unity the last several months is nice. Really enjoy it.

But I noticed yet again slowly political biased is rearing its ugly head once more.
I don't have the answer, but seems when anything has a high end profile politically it gets in the postings here. Starts off slow and then gets to party bashing, again.

I vowed to myself to stay out of those discussions about 4 months ago, because I get enough of this crap in my email, TV and elsewhere and NWFA is a sort of a Firearms owners Sanctuary.
I know the mods are doing their best, and as we get closer to the next election the political is oooozing back in. I see stuff lately that I had deleted for saying months ago, stays in postings.
This has to be confusing for new comers too.

My suggestion, add political party names to the censor list. Sounds stupid but people can't seem to stop doing what they are doing. Perhaps seeing that edit in their post will wake them up.

The site is doing well and the right direction, but we either should add word usage, or not limit political discussions. I can't see it ever working both ways... just some feedback.

Thanks.

@Joe Link
The report feature should be used as not all of us (staff) read every post in every thread. The reports usually come after it turns rather nasty and tensions become high. If we could get a heads up sooner it sure would help and save some of the threads that get derailed and most likely end up being closed.

I know from experience that tensions/ tempers rise around elections and we all need to help each other keep it tamped down.

I agree that the political names should be added to the list but it can get lengthy listing all the affiliated ones that get used. Terms like Dims, pubs, rino's and such.

Upvote 0
@Joe Link
The report feature should be used as not all of us (staff) read every post in every thread. The reports usually come after it turns rather nasty and tensions become high. If we could get a heads up sooner it sure would help and save some of the threads that get derailed and most likely end up being closed.

I know from experience that tensions/ tempers rise around elections and we all need to help each other keep it tamped down.

I agree that the political names should be added to the list but it can get lengthy listing all the affiliated ones that get used. Terms like Dims, pubs, rino's and such.

I know, its not an easy task, and I am sure you as well other mods know how I feel about certain sides.
I try and not voice that, even though I have my own views, I am working to respect the sites choices here.
That said, I am not sure people even realize that this is either and issue, or that they can report it.
I do report some here and there now, but after one sees several likes in a post, it clear even though it got reported its
was supported by others. So it kinda sorta works, kinda maybe LOL. Is why I thought why not just ban the problem words,
I am not thinking ban all words like that, but ones that are obvious like the real party names, picking slang could really play havoc on like word usage. I was only thinking proper names, as thats what I see mostly is REp/ DEms and full names. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Its a few weeks to an election and the build up I think is natural given the recent events. Some thread topics I believe are obviously going to end up with politics. I would skip those.

That said, I don't agree with every viewpoint giving but I do appreciate the information available even if it may pertain to political events outside my county or state. For instance, Washington state is on my list to buy property. It's good to follow whats happen in various areas.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, land of the free, let's ban words! Let's ban those we deem wrong think, or not the political party of gun owners...

The problem is no one uses the report button, and often times even when it is used those that break the rules, over and over, and over again have no consequences. Not that you should expect any. You can't punish, and ban people that have flares that show they are paying for the website. How can you expect to police political speech, along with much more questionable speech that gets into the illegal realm when once again this site is essentially a service that people pay for with donations. You start banning, and actually applying the rules to all equally the site loses money, which I don't see happening.

This is either a site for all gun owners no matter the political affiliation, and if political talk is allowed, which it clearly is, then all sides must be afforded their two cent, and if some people can't handle criticism, or having their ideas challenged, that sounds like a personal problem. Not one mods should be jumping into to defend.

This site will only become more political unless you outright ban politics. There is no golden day coming where guns and gun owners are suddenly seen as a positive in this country.
I do not see where YOU have reported anything. As far as consequences go we do not post what is done to someone who breaks the rules so how do you know this?

Contributing to the site does not absolve anyone from following the rules here so once again please tell me how you came to that conclusion. There Is also a fine line between criticism and antagonism which some here can not stay on the correct side of.
We have a very diverse group here and most can get along very well as long as we remember to follow the rules. We have antagonizer's/trolls come and go and it tends to be more of a problem around elections happens every time. It is best that if you don't like the content of a thread to just report it for moderation and move on. The instigators will be weeded out or just go away if you don't react and feed into their drama.

Upvote 0
I do not see where YOU have reported anything. As far as consequences go we do not post what is done to someone who breaks the rules so how do you know this?

Contributing to the site does not absolve anyone from following the rules here so once again please tell me how you came to that conclusion. There Is also a fine line between criticism and antagonism which some here can not stay on the correct side of.
We have a very diverse group here and most can get along very well as long as we remember to follow the rules. We have antagonizer's/trolls come and go and it tends to be more of a problem around elections happens every time. It is best that if you don't like the content of a thread to just report it for moderation and move on. The instigators will be weeded out or just go away if you don't react and feed into their drama.

Well said.

Upvote 0
My opinion on the matter is that this site has some of the best members on the webs. As mods we can not read every post on every thread. We rely on our good members to report things. I would suggest that people report things that they think might be heading in a direction that is not what we want.

If we feel as mods feel that it doesn't cross the line then we don't have to do anything about it or we can just throw out a friendly warning. I would rather nip something in the azz sooner rather than later. As a open forum we have to be held to a higher standard and not let certain people ruffle our feathers so to speak.

Upvote 0
@PDXShooter12 .

I have been a member here a very long time, I have posted allot as well. I was in 2015 the person whom started the UCC shooting thread, and worked hard to keep it about the victims in that shooting not the dumb bubblegum shooter.
I also have been a royal pain in the bubblegum for Joe Link and the Moderators last couple years, and I am here mostly because they know exactly what the cause of firearms problems are and know I am not here to cause trouble but even I have crossed that line when I should have backed off., but they also want this forum open for those on the fence as well as those far over it to maybe see some light. I am not singling you out, I am saying I get the passion as well as the desires to have an outlet, but was also here years ago when this site was a mess, it was disorganized and not fun. @Dead Eye had his ban on speed dial and still was not able to keep up. Its not joking, I am sure he could tell you have fun this site was not during that time.
The result was ease that throttle back a bit, thats all. No one is saying ban words, I was saying obviously and was my point people do not know how to control themselves at times, so maybe some help is needed was all my thread was about.

PS to be honest this is not mine or your website, firearms related or not, it can be ran as they choose end of story, think its to restrictive, the exit door is in the back to the left, its thats simple don't like the direction, leave is the choice people have. Or stay here and try and keep the peace and abide by the rules better then I have.

Thats all Peace out ~!:s0042:

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be hurt if this site just dumped anything political minus pro 2nd amendment stuff.

IE zero tolerance for anything but politics in regards to the 2A.

It sure would keep a lot of the crap out.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't be hurt if this site just dumped anything political minus pro 2nd amendment stuff.

IE zero tolerance for anything but politics in regards to the 2A.

It sure would keep a lot of the crap out.

I agree, it obvious if we are here at the very least we agree on gun rights, why not enhance that and remove the BS that causes issues, but we may not always agree on everything else. Ergo the non-firearms political issues. I can see I think a 1/2 dozen or more right now if they were not there, it would only be firearms.

Upvote 0
An observation, it seems the vagueness of the members' political beliefs being stated, e.g., 'the left' or 'the right' etc., contributes to the problem.

Further confusion factor is there is absolute no clear definition of beliefs of 'the left' or 'the right' and to complicate it further, geographically, the terms are truly differentated even more, even in the same state or local community depending past or present incumbents who preach as gospel their party's spiel.

So blocking words is not a good deterrent.

Upvote 0
An observation, it seems the vagueness of the members' political beliefs being stated, e.g., 'the left' or 'the right' etc., contributes to the problem.

Further confusion factor is there is absolute no clear definition of beliefs of 'the left' or 'the right' and to complicate it further, geographically, the terms are truly differentated even more, even in the same state or local community depending past or present incumbents who preach as gospel their party's spiel.

So blocking words is not a good deterrent.
Here there should be no left vs right or dems vs repubs this is how the squabbling starts.

It should be anti gunner vs pro gunner. If you read the site rules this is spelled out pretty clearly in rule #1......Community Rules

Upvote 0
Here there should be no left vs right or dems vs repubs this is how the squabbling starts.

It should be anti gunner vs pro gunner. If you read the site rules this is spelled out pretty clearly in rule #1......Community Rules

Alas whom, 'the left or the right', precipitated the anti's beliefs or whom allowed the pro to florish?

Hypothetically, Bloomberg, Gifford, & Brady are not technically affiliated with a political side, nor for that matter is the NRA, SAF, etc., yet many factions think they are. So even if you threw out the left/right concept whom would the anti or pro side turn to if they wanted to affect change over the other?

Upvote 0
Seems to me that ignoring anything that a person has issues with is a simple solution to this perceived problem. Personal attacks are uncalled for and should be dealt with as management sees fit, but politics are a central issue with responsible gun owners. I don't even know if there is an ignore feature on this site as I've never had a thought to need it.

Upvote 0

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads