JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's what I'm hoping. I also noticed the part where he is riding his motorcycle next to the hornet taking off that the AOA is off for an aircraft at that speed during takeoff. Looks like a lot more CGI.
There appears to be a lot of CGI. I felt like when those fighters were banking and breaking the sound barrier almost synchronized it appeared to have had a little help. But hey these guys are Top Guns and they're so elite you just can't fathom all the changes in physics that occur ;)

I watched the first one around when I was 21. Thought it was awesome.
Fifteen years later, a friend gave me the DVD. I watched 20 minutes, then fast forwarded to action scenes. Turned the movie into a 30 minute view and I *still* wanted that time back.
I'll wait until this one shows up on Redbox or Netflix, and even then, will probably not watch it.

Okay, the casting listed him as a Lt. but this is saying he is a captain... beyond retirement age, but besides, in my experience Captains rarely fly because they are always assigned in administrative positions (I forgot the proper word). When they do fly, it is training missions so that they can acrue hours for getting flight pay. A captain would be in charge of the entire ship, or possibly the flight group (but that is usually a Commander), and Captains never go on active missions. So somethin pretty special is happening in this movie.

Holy bubblegum! That's insane. I knew Tom has the propensity to be a dickhead but I thought he had at least an ounce of respect for the military, the very people he's "trying" to act like. Well I guess I was wrong. Hope he gets called out for that but to be honest, his PR manager would probably just have him give some whiny, half-assed, insincere apology just for good optics.

Holy bubblegum! That's insane. I knew Tom has the propensity to be a dickhead but I thought he had at least an ounce of respect for the military, the very people he's "trying" to act like. Well I guess I was wrong. Hope he gets called out for that but to be honest, his PR manager would probably just have him give some whiny, half-assed, insincere apology just for good optics.
After looking it up, it appears that the US Navy has said that Tom was NOT rude to the sailors and that it was likely one guy who misinterpreted a command given to show "respect to Cruise and his production team." Not sure if it's true or not. I know Tom can be kind of a hothead but I don't want to bubblegum on him if this was a misunderstanding of some sort.

Gonna have to watch that - after it goes to Netflix.

I can't name 3 Tom Cruise movies, but I was an air traffic control supervisor (tower and radar) at NAS Miramar when TG1 was filmed. Never saw the stars, but plenty of trailers and film crew. They shot a couple scenes in the little diner downstairs (where a fat rattler later took a swipe at one of my young controllers) and the volleyball sandpit. Camera crew cracked a window in the control tower with some equipment. That particular tower cab eventually got replaced and was sitting crookedly on some pallets behind the uniform shop last time I saw it (looking sad in the rain). It's a Marine Corps base now, mostly helos, and a joint-military brig. Not Fightertown USA anymore.

Of interest, to me, will be the local scenery they show in TG2 (or don't show). For years, NFWS (Naval Fighter Weapons School) "Top Gun" was a prize peach of an assignment. Like someone said about the "O-Club" in the movie, San Diego was a "target rich environment" for young fighter jocks and backseat RIOs (Radar Intercept Officers). Surfboards, tennis racquets and condoms by the caseload Baybee! But in '96 or so, it all moved out to NAS Fallon in Nevada, closer to the training airspace where they dogfight.

"Hey Mutt, I've got some good news - and some bad news. You and Jeff are going to Top Gun! And it's out in the desert, not in San Diego."

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads