1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

WTT OR Top-break .455 Webley British Military Revolver by Orbea Hermanos

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Classifieds' started by fireninja13, May 6, 2016.

1. fireninja13

fireninja13 Newberg / Portland Metro Active Member

For TRADE is Top-break .455 revolver hand cannon that was formerly a British Officer's weapon (either in the Boer War or WWI) and bears British military hallmarks, original grips, and has been beautifully restored -- beautiful bluing and tight lockup -- IT IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND READY TO SHOOT! It is essentially a slightly more modern European clone of the S&W 3rd Model Schoenfeld or 3rd model Russian -- but unlike one of those, it isn't a $5000 non-functional wall-hanger I had it listed for trade hereabouts awhile back, but terminated the listing when the laws on private transfers changed. . . guess I'm over that now. . . albeit still a bit grumpy. . .

This revolver was made by the famous Spanish firm of Orbea Hermanos. They were one of the largest manufacturers of quality firearms in Europe during this period, and are considered the "best" of the Spanish makers. Most likely, this gun was purchased by a British Officer as his personal side arm, who then took it to an army arsenal for for inspection, it passed and received some military proof marks, and then the officer was allowed to carry it while in uniform. Orbea Hermanos did receive some government contracts from the British Army prior to WWI, but according to the best history I have read, most guns like this were purchased privately and then entered military service as personal sidearms.

This revolver has been nicely restored at some time, but still has the original animal horn grips, and military lanyard ring. Please see pics for condition -- Believe it or not, it looks even better in person. What looks like blemishes and idiot marks in the pics are hallmark and proofing stamps -- this old gun is covered with them, both manufactur's marks and British Military Arsenal inspection marks.

Last time I checked, the various dealers who have similar pieces (often in poorer condition) are asking $1000+ for these guns, but my "trade value" is somewhere between $500-$800 depending on how much I like your gun :)
    I'd be willing to trade straight across for the right QUALITY semi-auto handgun in 9m or .45 ACP -- I like 80s and earlier S&W, Colt, FN/Browning, and other similar quality makes. I also appreciate a well made modern combat pistol like a Sig Sauer. Feel free to shoot me offers, I'm friendly and I love to chat about the golden age of gunsmithing, and talk sh*t about modern tupperware ;)

I have had a hard time determining the exact manufacturer date, so I'm not 100% sure when this was made -- but almost certainly late 1800 or very early 1900s. I'll defer to the experts whether this has true curio and relic status, but I figured listing it hereabouts would be appropriate :)

General Info

.455 Webley was the British service pistol caliber in the late 1800s-early 1900s -- used expensively in the colonial wars. This was the original "manstopper" bullet, developed to take down the uncivilized enemies of the empire. Basically, it was England's version of .45 Long Colt, with a very slightly larger bullet, and slightly shorter case. Apparently, .45 LC cartridges and bullets can be modified to work very well by a reasonably skilled reloader -- that is how close they are in size. During some periods, American gunsmiths routinely modified .455 Webley revolvers to shoot .45 ACP from a moonclip -- apparently it is as easy as shaving a tiny amount off the end of the cylinder -- but this one is unmodified. It is much more common to find the Webley brand revolvers in the US as they were sold as Military Surplus very cheaply in the 50s and 60s -- that is also when most of them were cut up to shoot .45 ACP from moonclips, often prior to sale.

While .455 Webley ammo can be special ordered (last I checked Fiocchi makes it), I'm thinking that the ideal next owner for this fine piece is a skilled hand loader who wants to develop his own personal .455 Manstopper v2.0 ;)

11043021_951450441562157_4123374946430022943_n.jpg 11038796_951450584895476_4831142737347959657_n.jpg 10425147_951450394895495_3826532895654441577_n.jpg 1513769_951450564895478_1845211419804251282_n.jpg
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    CV-66, JonCook and ogre like this.
  2. mikemenzie

mikemenzie Dallas Active Member

Man, she's a beaut. Don't suppose you're interested in trades for shop tools, work benches, shop storage and drawers, shelves, and the like?
    Or lapidary materials? We're having a moving sale, and i'm trying to swap some things for guns, since i know we won't be able to sell everything, and firearms are easier to pack! Haha.
    fireninja13 likes this.
  3. fireninja13

fireninja13 Newberg / Portland Metro Active Member

Not really the kind of trades I'm in the market for at this point, but thank you anyway