JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So how much ammo can you carry? Really, maybe spend less on cable and beer, buy quality ammo? Humans are weak, yeah chesp bubblegum fmj should be able to deal with them. But wild animals... they can take a lickin and keep on tickin. I wouldnt even consider shooting a deer or anything of the sort with junkass bulk fmj ammo, unless i knew it was a perfect brain shot. And st that point, a rimfire would do fine. Probably better actuslly, as i dont trust the consistency and accuracy of bulk fmj ammo. And at the end of the day, $0.25 per round for .22wmr, is that really too expensive to lay a stash by, if youre going to stash a rimfire round? If you cant afford a couple thousand rounds of that over a few years, youre probably making some terrible life decisions.
You are being rude. I have not been rude or called you names. You imply terrible life decisions, spending too much on beer. Dude, just cut it out.

I actually do buy quality ammo, I find it funny that I haven't told you what it is. It is very nice though. I also can't afford to keep an inventory of primarily hunting ammo. I also have a good store of self defense ammo. I have spent a lot of times hunting animals, and I have seen what it takes to kill an animal.

I guarantee that my 9mm I have is good. But you are determined it is junk, literally not knowing what you are talking about. What ammo did I buy for 16 cents a round?

I also would consider 2000 rounds of ammo a pittance.

I brought 9mm into the mix because size is similar to 9mm in volume. I would argue .22lr is more versatile. There are a lot of special purpose options out there.

And, a subsonic .22lr will be quieter than a WMR with a suppressor. It is the supersonic crack, that the can does nothing to eliminate that will be the loudest part.

You are being rude. I have not been rude or called you names. You imply terrible life decisions, spending too much on beer. Dude, just cut it out.

I actually do buy quality ammo, I find it funny that I haven't told you what it is. It is very nice though. I also can't afford to keep an inventory of primarily hunting ammo. I also have a good store of self defense ammo. I have spent a lot of times hunting animals, and I have seen what it takes to kill an animal.

I guarantee that my 9mm I have is good. But you are determined it is junk, literally not knowing what you are talking about. What ammo did I buy for 16 cents a round?

I also would consider 2000 rounds of ammo a pittance.

I brought 9mm into the mix because size is similar to 9mm in volume. I would argue .22lr is more versatile. There are a lot of special purpose options out there.

And, a subsonic .22lr will be quieter than a WMR with a suppressor. It is the supersonic crack, that the can does nothing to eliminate that will be the loudest part.
The $0.16 wasnt you that was somebody else, my bad. But if youre buying cheap bulk ball 9mm cheaper than rimfire, youre not buying quslity ammo.
And ive literally shot my 22wmr, taken the suppressor off it, put it on my friends 22lr, shot that, subsonic in both. 22" barrel on my wmr, 16" barrel on his lr. If anything his 22lr was louder than my 22wmr. I actually took the pepsi challenge.

Youre comparing 9mm to 22wmr because of size? A 40gr bullet vs a 124 gr bullet? Thats triple the weight in lead. And the 22wmr case may be slightly longer, but is much thinner. 9mm would be heavier in bulk.

This thread is about what would be best to have in an apocalypse, not whats most frugal when you buy cheap bulk ammo.

My argument is 22wmr vs 22lr. 22wmr has a lot more power and capability of killing small to medium sized game, or humans, than 22lr. And the packing weight difference is negligible compared to the performance difference. Bulk 9mm or 223 is a completely different argument, a different class of ammo altogether. May as well try to compare a 4wd truck with a sports car. its irrelevant, it does not apply.

Last Edited:
Well I'm not going to list every gun I have lol:p

But yea,, I'll stay home and keep my options many and versatile ;):cool:
Okay, when youre ready to list every gun you have, just pm me.
- DEAn atf-when-that-guys-16-inch-ar-barrel-looks-suspiciously-9331831.png

It depends on the person's situation - which can vary a lot.

In my situation, because of health conditions for my family of three (myself, daughter and son-in-law), we start with a rifle/handgun combo that is relatively light, low recoil, high capacity; the PS90 and Five Seven. Not optimum lethality, but it these are for GHBs/BOBs and for carrying around the BOL when doing chores. Should we be attacked at the BOL, these would be used to retreat back to a fortified location where heavier firepower is kept. That is their designed purpose; a PDW for behind the lines logistic personnel.

PS90_Rotators_-1800x750.jpg
Five-seveN_Rotators_1-1-1800x1275.jpg

Behind fortifications or for offensive operations, an AK in 7.62x39 would be standard, with a few semi-auto rifles (e.g., FN-FAL) in 7.62x51 here and there for dealing with longer range threats.

Beyond that, a smattering of .22 rimfire, shotgun, etc. for hunting purposes. Since we will be static once everybody is at the BOL (where I currently live and the new BOL I will move to), having just X number of firearms is not something I consider except with regards to budget. Suffice to say, I have more than five guns per person in my small group. But for each person, the top three would be a defensive rifle/handgun combo and a .22 rimfire for hunting.

Okay, one question. Yes or no. Is the 22wmr more capable / versatile than the 22lr?

No anecdotal bs, just a straight answer. Which of the 2 cartridges is more capable?

Basically, your comment there is saying "i dont have a rational argument, so im just going to call you an bubblegum because i cant dispute your logic."

Ive been making my case politely and with respect, its called a debate. Youre resorting to bubblegum flinging and slander, which is what people do when they know theyre wrong, and logic wont support their views.

I've given my opinion on LR vs. Mag, clearly and concisely. The issue here has nothing to do with ammo or logic; it has to do with the fact that most everyone else was having fun, and you started being rude, spoiling for a fight with anyone who dared disagree with you. "Politely and with respect"? Wow. I'll leave it at that.

I've come to appreciate the "ignore" feature on this forum. You can fume and fuss all you want now, and I can't see it! :) :)

Top 5 Guns for the Apocalypse?
Why do people always say .22lr for a bug out / shtf gun? The only rational argument i hear is that the ammo is small / lightweight. But .22wmr ammo still fits thst bill, but gives a significant increase in power. Screw a .22lr, .22wmr ftw.

Wow only 7 posts into a fun thread and someone wants to derail it without even listing his pick of guns.:s0057:
BTW respond all you want I wouldn't see it.

For me I'll go with,:s0062:

1 Mannlicher Schoner in 6.5x54
2 Ithica dearslayer in 12 ga
3 Ruger 22/45 lite in 22 LR
4 Sig 210 in 9mm
5 Smith model 60 in .357 magnum

:s0082:

Didnt read through all 4 pages but my picks would be..
1. AR rifle of whatever kind for personal defense
2. Large caliber bolt action for hunting big game ( .270, 300wm, 7mm...whatever floats your boat).
3. .22lr super accurate bolt gun for hunting small game like rabbits and squirrels and birds.
4. Compact PCC of some kind for additional defense.
5. Pistol to have on you at all times for whatever situation. 9mm or larger and preferably something with 15+ rd magazines.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top