JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Did the transfer paperwork at my FFL for my "new" S&W 625, now I get to wait a couple of weeks (plus? :mad:) to pick it up. In the meantime, I figured I might as well get ready, so just ordered 50 moon clips from Revolver Supply, and a BMT Mooner tool, both of which will probably arrive before I get to pick up my new shooter. Not necessarily a bad thing, that just means I'll have a bunch of clips loaded up and ready to go when my new revolver finally finds its way home :D. Interesting thought re: moon clips. They're basically a magazine for a revolver, 50 clips will hold 300 rounds, ready to go. My Sig P220 holds 8 rounds, I'd need 37+ magazines to have 300 rounds ready to go. Mooner tool and clips came to $150, mags would cost me over $900 :eek:! Plus, loading clips with the tool is faster/easier than loading a magazine. The Sig definitely still wins in the carry category, easier to conceal, better capacity, and faster reloads, but I think it's going to see a lot less range time vs. the Smith.

Will probably also work on a rack for loaded clips that will fit in an ammo box. Sorry, but still no pics guys, my gun was still at the post office when I stopped to do the paperwork :(. And since my "local" FFL is a 90 mile round trip, and I have no other reason to go that direction, I'll just have to wait 'til the waiting period is done. Of course, that will be longer than usual, due to lots of gun purchases lately, and a minimal crew at wherever they do the checks. The upside to all that is that maybe my CZ will be more likely to sell quickly :rolleyes:. More later.

Dave

You will enjoy the Mooner tool! I just purchased one for my S&W 929. Congrats on the new revolver! Where did you find moon clips for $1 each? The 8 shot ones for my revolver are close to $5 each, even when purchased in quantity.

Check out Revolver Supply, yours are still more than a buck a piece, but if you're willing to buy in quantity, you can get the price down to under $2 ea. Don't know how the quality is compared to some of the other sources, but they seem to get good reviews, so I figured it was worth a shot ;). Later.

Dave

Congrats on your new 625 fun gun to shoot. I hate waiting periods. I love my 5" 625 with a Burris Fastfire and low profile mount.
DSC00147.JPG

@kmk1012 - There is a huge difference between the 25/625/325 series of guns and the 8-shot S&W's in .38/.357 and 9mm.

First, equating someone's experience with moon clip use with a .45 ACP revolver to using them with an 8-shot .38/.357 or 9 mm caliber gun is comparing apples to oranges.

With six large holes and a cartridge that is short and round-nosed, the .45 practically loads itself, and cartridge wobble in the clip actually facilitates the loading process.

OTOH, with a cylinder of the same diameter, but now with eight smaller holes, any cartridge wobble in the clip will be working against you in trying to accomplish a quick reload. Added to that is that the longer the cartridge the more that wobble is exaggerated - this is why people competing with 8-shot 627/327's generally use short cartridge variations like .38 Long Colt and .38 Short Colt. It was also the impetus for introducing an 8-shot model 929 9 mm revolver.

Secondly, the dimensions of the groove in front of the rim on a rimmed revolver cartridge, if there even is one, is left up to the manufacturer - there are no SAAMI specs like there are for the extractor groove on rimless cartridges (again a plus for using the 9mm cartridge in a revolver). This complicates getting the proper cartridge to clip fit - which for the 8-shot guns is critical. You want as little cartridge wobble as possible. This means trial & error fitment tests with different brands of brass and moon clips. Yes, most clip manufacturers can give you initial guidance on what clips work best with what brands of brass - but that in no way assures an optimum fit - it is a starting point at best.

Once you have found that optimum combination you now need to lay in a supply of the correct clips and brass and keep them segregated. (All this is pretty much irrelevant to .45 ACP guns as they will work well with most anything).

Third: In just about any thread that involves moon clips, inevitably somebody brings up the use of the RIMZ polymer moon clips and how great they are as they do not require the use of tools. RIMZ got their start making clips for the 25/325/625 family of guns and they have a couple variations to fit those guns.

All well and good, but RIMZ clips are only available for certain guns and not always what you would expect. Need a polymer clip for your 646? How about your 610? No problem. How about any .38/.357 N or L frame? Sorry, not available. On a positive note RIMZ is making clips for the 929 and they are stellar and what I'm using for ICORE and USPSA. They support the cartridge not just by a tight fit in the extractor groove, but by also surrounding the cartridge head. They are also less costly than metal moons for the 929, and less fussy about the brand of brass used.

Which brings me to my fourth and final point - all of the above is moot if your gun is just a range toy - where the speed with which you reload is irrelevant. Then moon clips are just a convenience. Sit at home and load up your clips in front of the TV, saving you range time. However, if you endeavor to compete in any gun game that requires loading "on the clock" then moon clips are the way to go.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

@Pizza Bob thank you for the info on moon clips, I was merely looking for a better price on them. Realistically, these clips are stamped out of sheet metal and heat treated for strength. My guess is that supply vs demand has much more to do with any kind of price discrepancy. I'll look into the RIMZ as mine is just a range you, I got it because I was bored with 9mm autoloaders. The use of my BMT Mooner, .040 moon clips, and range brass reloads has posed no issues yet with any mismatched rim thickness issues.

@kmk1012 - and it probably won't ever cause any problems as long as they are for range use only. Competing is a whole different world. Even a mediocre shooter like me wants every advantage they can get, so proper moon clip to cartridge fit is crucial.

I competed with a627 chambered in .38 Super for a number of years and finding moon clips that worked adequately was really tough. Most manufacturers say that their 9mm 929 clips will also work for the .38 Super - trust me, not the case. The clips I used were $7 each - not something that you want the RO following you through a course of fire to step on.

While supply & demand do a play a big part in cost, the manufacturing process does also. Some clips are, as you noted, simply stamped. But some are EDM cut - which adds considerably to the cost.

The RIMZ clips for the 929 are great because of the rebated cartridge slots...
moon-clip-RIMZ.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This means trial & error fitment tests with different brands of brass and moon clips. Yes, most clip manufacturers can give you initial guidance on what clips work best with what brands of brass - but that in no way assures an optimum fit - it is a starting point at best.
I was talking to a fellow competitor at a match he was running a S&W 929. He told me about all the issues of certain brand of brass and brand of
clips is critical to making his gun run!:eek::eek::eek: I had no idea. My 625 shoots with any type of brass and clips.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top