Tool rental or borrow section

Discussion in 'Community Help' started by bolus, Mar 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

How about a section for people that have tools to rent or borrow out (like 80% jigs) or for people looking to borrow tools? I get a few requests to borrow my jigs.

x2ndxall likes this.
  2. x2ndxall

x2ndxall
    Like right now?
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I've also been asked about loaning out a jig. Is this legal? For some reason I had it in my head that I'd need to sell it and then buy it back.

3. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!
    Member Emeritus Lifetime Supporter Silver Supporter

I am not sure it follows the letter of the law but I think it follows the intent. The "ruling" was that you could not use others equipment because of the receiver ships in California where you dropped it in a CNC and pushed start.

I don't think the ATF will raid your house because you borrowed a buddy's jig

I would be happy to lent/rent tools as needed

4. x2ndxall

x2ndxall
    Like right now?

I'm not saying I wouldn't, or haven't, done it. But a section of a forum dedicated to doing something that may not be legal is a little different than simply borrowing a buddy's jig.

I'm just not excited about encouraging others to publicly admit to practicing a God given right that could put them jail.

Again though, I don't know if it's legal or not. If it is, I think it'd be great to have a place to do this.

Joe13 likes this.
  5. bolus

bolus
    Far from Prozanski
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well, there are other tools as well. Though all mine are packed up for moving I have go-no go gauges, I have chamber reamers, I have all my 1911 tools that are used for fitting of aftermarket 100% receivers, etc

Joe13, IronMonster and x2ndxall like this.
  6. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!

My feeling as well. I don't even own any jigs. I have no need since I have an actual milling machine (no, you can't borrow it)

7. x2ndxall

x2ndxall
    Like right now?

Can I buy it and sell it back?;):D

Joe13 likes this.
  8. IronMonster

IronMonster
    Free Idaho!

I thought about that as a work around, I think that would be worse as it shows intent to circumvent the law

9. x2ndxall

x2ndxall
    Like right now?

Yeah, I have one also. Was being facetious.

10. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Most folks would be fine, but some are flakes and you won't see your tools again...

Better to just let them PM you and then you can decide in private what your willing to do.

Adding forums can get tedious when there are too many to sift thru.

Just my 2¢

cooper and x2ndxall like this.