JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is too cool. I can’t wait until my daughter is old enough to go to the range with me. She already thinks watching me reload is better than watching cartoons and she told her pre-school teacher the other day “I never touch the bullets". Lucky for me her teachers are pretty hip to firearms and hunting so no red flaggs went up like they may have in the Big City. Take the time to teach them right when it comes to firearms and you have so much less to worry about. Nice job :s0155:

Congrats on a kid with an interest in firearms, and a good shot to boot.

My 10 year old son just 'graduated' to a Ruger 10/22 from a Henry one shot bolt action beginner rifle. He has also shot my Walther G22 .22lr rifle, and is a great shot. He also has shot my Ruger 22/45 and is getting better with it as well. He is absolutely dying to try my AR-15, though I am not quite ready for him to give it a go........yet.

My 12 year old daughter recently started shooting the Henry and now the 10/22 and she is a seriously good shot, probably better than me. She is not interested in the AR yet, but once little brother gives it a go, I think she will come around.

My 7 year old daughter is now clamoring to go shooting, though she may have to wait until she is at least 8 1/2 or 9.

The older 2 are extremely safety conscious, which makes me feel like I have done something right.

Believe me when I say this, getting your kids into shooting and firearm safety will not only bring you closer together, it will give them a life long skill.

'The family that shoots together, protects each other together'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Believe me when I say this, getting your kids into shooting and firearm safety will not only bring you closer together, it will give them a life long skill.

My family have always been shooters and the benefit was once again driven home for me during my last duty day as range officer. There were multiple family groups showing up at the plinking range {.22 or air rifle only} with 2 or more bricks of ammo! Steel targets were wobbling and spinning all day long and a good time was had by all. :)

Shooting with the kids is a great thing. My son is now 20, in college and working. He of course has many interests like we all did at his age. Girls. LOL. But, he still likes to go camping and shooting with me. It is good that we still have something we enjoy doing together.

I'm planning on a Henry Ar-7 for my 8 year old's 9th birthday.

I graduated from the marlin 101 to the AR before getting my hands on ANY pistols, slightly earlier in age than I'm letting her shoot.

The new Henry versions have added a mount for a Scope or Red-dot, can send her out on the gophers on my sister's acreage ^^.

Pistols only once she demonstrates the strength to keep them steady.

I"ll share my 'getting the kid interested' story here...

When my kid was about 5 {maybe younger} I tried getting her to shoot a paper target with a BB gun from about 5' away. It didn't take many shots before she was bored.

Another day I set up some empty soda cans to shoot at. Those would fall over and make noise when she shot one. The cans lasted longer that the paper but she wasn't really hooked.

A couple of years later, I taped some tounge depressors to a section of drinking straw and strung those on a wire to make a dynamic, self resetting target for her. And we switched to the pellet gun. THAT was a whole different experience and she was hooked!

At age 10 I gave her a Ruger Mark III for Christmas and then a NRA membership. She liked their InSights magazine but did not like that I was a Life Member and she was not so at renewal time she became a Life Member. By age 12 she asked for a "bigger gun". What a proud moment :D This time I gave her a S&W 9mm. Later came her first rifle and then she started asking for my guns and for a SAF life membership.

She has another shooting video where, at the end, she comments on how her shooting skill affects her boyfriend status. LOL

YouTube - Shooting my Ruger Mark III .22 Long Rifle Pistol

Getting our kids out shooting is the BEST.
I"m heading to the range today with my son and grandson..he's 7..it's been toooo long since we burned up some .22 ammo.
I put a red dot scope on for him,as he was having trouble lining up both sights and the target,and the hits were immedieate.
I know,'teach him irons'.. I will,but for now the hits are what keep him interested.red dots rule.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top