JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was going through Albany and decided to stop at Clips n' Stuff at their new location to see what's happening.

I liked what I saw and decided to pick up some goodies:

1. Smith & Wesson M&P15OR
2. NcStar MarkIII
3. Extra 30 round mag
4. Rails
5. Foregrip
6. Ammo :s0155:

I have been wanting to pick one of these up for some time now and on a whim decided that today was the day. I was very pleased with the look and feel of how it turned out. While I know that there will be modifications down the road I felt that this was a good place to start.

I'm hoping that I can have time this weekend to go break it in and test out the calculated drop that's built into the scope.....

I now have stolen the rail mounted bipod from my .22 build and I believe it has found a new home... mounted on the AR.

View attachment 199944

WOHOO!!!

as it sat on bipod the night it came home (after adding bipod from 10/22)
10%209%3A39%3A48%20PM.jpg

Looks good except for one thing--that scope! NcStar scopes are the WORST. They don't hold zero very well, the illumination is crap and does not work at night at all, and worst of all, the windage and elevation turrets are made of PLASTIC. It isn't even good plastic, it is the worst cheap plastic imaginable, good luck adjusting it without chewing it up. My friend bought one once, we took it to the range, and he returned it the next day. It is literally the worst scope I have ever seen. It cost $100 and the $30 scope I had on my ruger 10/22 was a thousand times better. I would not even put that scope on airsoft. In fact, I think nerf gun optics are better than that scope!

But yeah... apart from that, S&W M&P15s are great quality rifles, ditch that scope and it will be awesome. :)

P.S. if you are looking for a decent magnified optic that is inexpensive, you can't do better than the Millet DMS-1. It is pretty much awesome. At $200-240 plus another c-note for a good mount, they are more expensive than Ncbubblegum, but definitely worth it.
53649.jpg

Also, you might like the magpul moe furniture, you can attach rails in various positions around the handguard and there are VFGs that attach directly to it with no need for a rail. Makes putting basic accessories on your rifle (flashlight, vfg) a breeze and it's cool looking too.

I had one of those NCStar scopes and it didnt have any problems. No need to spend extra money if you dont need it. If you are just into target shooting and plinking then your setup will work fine. If you are going over to the sandbox and will beat the snot out of it, then you might want more durable kit... :)

I had one of those NCStar scopes and it didnt have any problems. No need to spend extra money if you dont need it. If you are just into target shooting and plinking then your setup will work fine. If you are going over to the sandbox and will beat the snot out of it, then you might want more durable kit... :)

If you want a really cheap scope you could do much better than the NcStar tactical scope. Like maybe a $30 bushnell 3-9x designed for a .22lr. Better glass, no ugly illumination that hinders rather than helps, heck, probably even the cheapo rings they come with are better than the NcStar mount. Plus also they come with elite tactical space ranger windage and elevation turrets made of metal that ACTUALLY WORK.

NcStar is airsoft. Worse than airsoft. Google "NcStar crap" if you don't believe me.

Personally I'd rather just use irons. :p

what's the weapon's intended use?

scopes dont really belong on carbines, especially a first AR. obviously there are applications, but they're few and far between. i'd throw that thing in the trash (even giving away for free would be a damned evil thing to do to someone), get at least 6 months experience on your irons, and then think about upgrading to an aimpoint..

Thumbs up to the DMS-1 !!!

It has a true 1x which is great for quick aiming with both eyes open, and the 4x is just right for coyotes. Price is right too. Benefit to $ ratio can't be beat!

Looks like a fun shooter!!

Give the scope a chance before ditching it like everyone suggests. I have the cheap bushnell 3-9 on my .22 and I hear all sorts if people talking about how great it is for the money. It holds zero for an afternoon if you're lucky, and I've had a heck of a time with bushnell customer service.

I had one of those scopes on my AR once. It held zero just fine for the 500 rounds I used it. But the mount design on it is the downside. It will loosen over time, and the more you tighten it the more it will loosen. That little metal tab that is used to hold the mount to the nut will bend and break.

Wow. Good thing this a toy and not for a shtf bug out weapon.

I'll run this scope till it's served it's purpose. I don't use the illumination so that part doesn't bother me one bit. I will not shoot irons period! Thats for my pistol and my son can learn on open sights. And that's why he's learning on a 1920's model single shot .22

So other than the scope anyone have any complaints on the rest of my purchase?

So are S&W ar's a pos too?

I like to shoot beyond what my eyes can see. I am nearsighted and have issues focusing from irons to target back to irons. I have excellent target acquisition with scopes. Have had it that way for years.

Wow. Good thing this a toy and not for a shtf bug out weapon.

I'll run this scope till it's served it's purpose. I don't use the illumination so that part doesn't bother me one bit. I will not shoot irons period! Thats for my pistol and my son can learn on open sights. And that's why he's learning on a 1920's model single shot .22

So other than the scope anyone have any complaints on the rest of my purchase?

So are S&W ar's a pos too?

Nice plinker, go out and find out for yourself on the optics I have never had issues with the NC Star items I have. Later you may want to upgrade, but to dump another $500 on a scope at time of purchase without knowing if you actually like the rifle would be a bad idea.

Hey Dyjital,
I like your setup, enjoy the fruit of your patience. The S&W is one I seriously looked at, Just a little more than I had budgeted. The setup looks beautiful, let us know how she shoots.:s0155::s0155:
I'm surprised more guys aren't pipping in on "Proper Break-in". I was told minimum thorough clean between each of the first five shots made a huge difference on long term accuracy... What do the "Guru's" suggest?:confused:

Come on guys, quit giving crap over optics, and give him something useful...
He'll work the optics issue/preference out after a few trips to the range.
A1

Last Edited:
Nice looking rifle; now go shoot the crud out of it. With ammo prices sky high, you are going to want a .22 LR conversion kit or .22 LR upper to be able to shoot it as much as you want.

Remember that you can always upgrade you optics when funds are available. Some good reasonably priced optics are Millet DMS, Vortex Strikefire & IOR Valdada RDS. All of them are available for $200 or less. You should try some other optics options before you spend you hard earned dollars. Last year I bought a EoTech 512, Trijicon ACOG Reflex for my LMT and didn't like them.

I have already looked into a conversion kit. I have my other toy for .22 rounds. The tack driver :)

Hey Dyjital,
I like your setup, enjoy the fruit of your patience. The S&W is one I seriously looked at, Just a little more than I had budgeted. The setup looks beautiful, let us know how she shoots.:s0155::s0155:
I'm surprised more guys aren't pipping in on "Proper Break-in". I was told minimum thorough clean between each of the first five shots made a huge difference on long term accuracy... What do the "Guru's" suggest?:confused:

Come on guys, quit giving crap over optics, and give him something useful...
He'll work the optics issue/preference out after a few trips to the range.
A1

break-in is actually a complete waste of time and barrel.. there are pretty much no quality manufacturers that even suggest it, anymore.

but the OP's gun is chrome-lined... so break-in wouldn't ever have been something anyone would recommend.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top