JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

Springfield Man Loses Hunt Privileges For Life After Plea Deal In Massive Deer Poaching Case
(Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:29:02 +0000)

One of nine Springfield residents accused in what police have called the largest deer poaching case in state history will never be able to hunt in Oregon again.

Miguel A. Kennedy, 26, pled guilty to identity theft (four counts); forgery in the second degree (two counts); unlawful loaning or transfer of hunting tag; and racketeering and was sentenced last week to eight months in jail, $800 in fines and three years on probation, according to the Eugene Register-Guard.

The paper reports:

Racketeering is punishable by up to 20 years in prison and a $375,000 fine, but Lane County Circuit Judge Jack Billings found "substantial and compelling reasons" for a much lighter sentence recommended by both the state and Kennedy's defense attorney in a plea agreement.

Those reasons include Kennedy's willingness to provide "truthful testimony" in the state's case against others involved in the scheme.

As we've detailed in a previous post and in the June 2011 issue of Northwest Sportsman, Kennedy, Shane E. Donoho, 37, Rory E. Donoho, 60, and others are accused of killing 300 deer in the McKenzie Wildlife Management Unit over the past half decade, and face a raft of felony and misdemeanor charges including conspiracy, identity theft, computer crimes, possession of game parts, borrowing and loaning hunting tags, among others.

According to the Register-Guard, in his plea deal, Kennedy "admitted helping the ring's alleged leader, 37-year-old Shane Donoho, &#8216;defraud' the state Fish and Wildlife Commission by obtaining and hunting with licenses using other people's identities.

Also named in the case:

Gerald S. Donoho, 64
Laura A. Donoho, 36
Sandra L. Shaffer, 59
Danny M. Hawkins, 60
Mary S. Normand, 61
Shawn Stone, 48

All entered pleas of not guilty in late April.

I think this guy is getting off a little too easy.
Also, I count about 15 guns in that evidence pic. Unfortunately they probably all were destroyed.

<broken link removed>
The stories that link leads too: Paint Cans dumped??? More gates going up because of trash??? WTF is wrong with
people? It drives me to despair.

Incarceration is too damned expensive.
I'd rather see a huge fine and lots of community service than a long prison sentence.

I agree, why should our tax dollars house and feed these creeps? Confiscate their vehicle and firearms, fine the **** out of them, revoke their hunting privileges for life, and give them a lengthy community service sentence with probation.

I go up to my local hunting / spot and pick up all the metal and beer cans...Last time it was about 600lbs of crud and $15 in beer cans ..up side it paid for my gas and metal is a little over $200 a ton for recycle. Just throws me when I pick up that much in such a little time in between two weeks in such a small area that is not gated.

i agree its ridiculous how much crap is just littered all over the place... for example in the middle of nowhere i find beer cans and beer boxes in the most random places... how effin hard is it to pick up your crap...

Waaaay too short.
It turns out there is not enough room in the jail for the donohoes.

<broken link removed>

So they are walking around with their ankle bracelets on?
Why not use the Springfield jail?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top