JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recent Mt Hood hiker found dead and suspected victim of cougar attack. Earlier this summer two bicyclists were attacked and one killed.

Are there too many cougars? The wife and I are " discussing intensely". She hikes and is getting fearful, and will not carry a firearm. I say we are in the part of the predator / prey cycle where there are too many predators and not enough prey.

Anyone care to share their learned opinions?

Are cougar, wolf, bear, coyote populations too big for the current elk, deer , prey populations?

D

If she won't carry a gun get a good dog or two.At the very least it will distract a predator long enough for her to get away .Best case they will scare em off without confrontation.
Most people don't realize that predators are around and see you a lot more than you see them.most will avoid humans and try their damndest to go unseen by people .Thats why bobcats ,Cougars ,wolves ,even bears are mostly active at night.
Maybe it's just that there are more people out in the woods ,and predators are getting used to seeing them on the regular ,and in their eat or be eaten world are actually starting to see people as aprey animal?

The wife and I are " discussing intensely". She hikes and is getting fearful, and will not carry a firearm.

Maybe she will carry something else? HECK yes on the Dog @Coloradocat !

Seriously...between the 2 and 4 legged predators...every one should carry some type of PDW.....i like the firearm myself. (i'm still trying to convince my wife to carry her pistol, but she is carrying a knife and pepperspray....a step up from nothing :oops:). I usually carry my G26 or S&W shield....if I'm open carry.... rolling with the 1911.....I would rather have something than nothing.

Situational awareness is most important.

45LC or .357 will handle any predator you'll encounter in Oregon.

Meet my newest cougar, wolf, bear, and forest zombie repellant dispenser... ;)

B3977967-3FE4-485C-85C6-66D5C9DF9C2B.jpeg 5C1AB5D5-C7A4-4021-A67C-5F647F6B5875.jpeg

If she won't carry a gun get a good dog or two.At the very least it will distract a predator long enough for her to get away .Best case they will scare em off without confrontation.
Most people don't realize that predators are around and see you a lot more than you see them.most will avoid humans and try their damndest to go unseen by people .Thats why bobcats ,Cougars ,wolves ,even bears are mostly active at night.
Maybe it's just that there are more people out in the woods ,and predators are getting used to seeing them on the regular ,and in their eat or be eaten world are actually starting to see people as aprey animal?

Forget a dog, get good life insurance

When Oregon changed laws to outlaw hunting with dogs, given that it was already illegal to use baits, there was essentially no effective means of hunting cougars and bears. This not only meant we would have more cougars and bears, but even more important, they wouldn't be afraid of people. I think we can expect more and more attacks on humans as older momma predators--who taught their cubs to avoid humans--die off and are replaced with Mamma's who have never been hunted.

One of my neighbors had a cougar come right up on the back porch. I had a bear come right into my back yard after the ducks penned on my deck, and refused to cease and desist even when spotlighted. I had to put a shot in the ground next to him to get him to skeedaddle. (Alas, I had no bear tag, and it was the wrong time of year and day to just put him in the freezer.)

YUP! As I posted in another thread a min ago, this is what happens when MAN interferes ( tries to control ) nature! We all but killed off the Apex predator ( WOLF) and so we wonder why we have so many other beta predators! Stupid people! And I know the Wolf discussion sets people off and makes enemies out of friends, but when are we going to stop effing around trying to control something we have no business with?:eek::eek::eek: If were going to do with out Wolves, then we need to work on the other predators to control their numbers, and that in't going to happen with all the feel good city folks who love all the furry critters!
I'm pissing in the wind here, I know, but still, some one needs to say it!

Always carry a BIG GUN! Man isn't the ultimate predator in the wilds urban or forest!

Speaking of control, the natural cycle is lots of prey, predators increase their population until there isn't enough prey. Predators die off, so prey numbers improve, repeat. Survival of the fittest.

Florida bow has too many black bears, cougars, coyotes, alligators, crocs, and snakes like pythons. Deer popularions are declining.

I am wondering if the same is true here. 6000 cougars was a 2015 number. I am guessing more like 8000.

What is the law regarding open carry while hiking in Oregon without a concealed weapon permit?

D

Maybe she will carry something else? HECK yes on the Dog @Coloradocat !

Seriously...between the 2 and 4 legged predators...every one should carry some type of PDW.....i like the firearm myself. (i'm still trying to convince my wife to carry her pistol, but she is carrying a knife and pepperspray....a step up from nothing :oops:). I usually carry my G26 or S&W shield....if I'm open carry.... rolling with the 1911.....I would rather have something than nothing.

Situational awareness is most important.

Yes, keeping eyes in the back of our head is of utmost importance, ALWAYS. Whether your at the mall or in the woods, know whats going on around you or you WILL become a victim at some point.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top