JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the day, I carried openly in the woods only in areas where I was expecting to meet few people and essentially no urbanites. Even three decades ago, if I open carried in any if the popular hiking areas near Corvallis, I would get funny looks, and quickly learned to cc only in such places. Cc is better tactically anyway.
I have a friend that lost his way hunting near Corvallis. He started out on Oak Creek on private property and ended up walking out on a busy hiking trail with a rifle over his shoulder. He said if looks could kill...…….

We should release the majority of cougars in PDX and Eugene, they love them so much. Animal huggers think its some sort of honor for nature to kill and eat them or something,,,

It's funny how they all believe that nothing should be killed.
Then when one of there own get attacked muled to death.drug off the trail and ate by a predetor .lol they all say how can this happen.
HELLO THIS IS HOW IT IS IN THE WILD .
just because you bought a 100 Dollar pair of hiking boots doesn't make you OFF LIMITS TO THE WILD LIFE.
FRICKIN IDIOTS YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS .
when you go into the woods SMOKING your dope and trotting around like it's your own little world.your going to get hurt . maybe not the first time or the second time.but sooner or later some Animal is going to see you as a meal .
AND EAT YOU

3E88BB7F00000578-0-image-a-2_1490205827566.jpg

Then no need to worry about being overrun by prey animals in E Oregon. Predator numbers way up, elk/deer in E Oregon way down from the late 1990s. Higher numbers of predators mean more run-ins between humans and predators. Fewer prey and more predators could mean hungrier predators start thinking humans might be food.

Predators can't exist without prey, so they must be finding prey somewhere.

I felt sorry for the victim upon hearing about the death on the news last night. If I was any way related to the victim I would want the immediate eradication of all "dangerous predators".

Living in Central Oregon I view the predator problem a bit differently. Here I feel there is a lack of predators and the deer population has exploded in the last 10 - 15 years. There was a doe on my driveway the other morning that was suckling three fawns. I didn't even think that was possible!?!?!? It blew my mind! The deer population is so thick in my area there is a chronic respiratory illness spreading around the population. In the past 5 years I have had to dispose of 4 dead deer on my property. Not a one of them had a scratch on them. There is no governmental disposal of dead wild animals unless you decide to move the carcass to a public road in the middle of the night... which I do not do.

So if you want to cull the predator population come over and harvest some deer first... a LOT of deer first! You can use my back deck as a stand and I will even buy you a beer... after the rifles have done their job and have been put away!

Address please...:D:D:D;)

Predators can't exist without prey, so they must be finding prey somewhere.

That's true. In the 1990 and early to mid 2000s predators had a lot to eat, and their populations rose while their food source populations fell. Now pickings are getting slim because game animal numbers in certain areas are way down. Then the predator populations will so outnumber the prey that they will themselves collapse from starvation, disease, etc.

But that's only after some of them get closer to people/towns in search of food like people's pets or domestic livestock. Then there are more run-ins between predators and humans.

And the large decrease in prey/game animals from 1990 levels contributes to (but is not the only cause of) the decline in number of hunting licenses, tag applications and tags. This in turn means less revenue for ODFW. Which in turn means less money to use for the benefit/habitat of a lot of different species, including those other than predators and prey/game animals. So the mis-management (or really, non-management) of predators in certain parts of Oregon has had a much larger ripple effect than people realize.

Whether there are lots of deer and/or lots of predators, and their health depends on exactly what neighborhood you are talking about. You can't answer that for all of maritime Oregon, let alone for the state or region.

Well, darn I gotta go into the woods for a job next week and I don't yet own a big bore hand cannon. I have to be concealed for work so if you were me, which pistol would you take

9mm Beretta Px4 Compact or a Ruger LCR38 snubby?

And what ammo?

Well, darn I gotta go into the woods for a job next week and I don't yet own a big bore hand cannon. I have to be concealed for work so if you were me, which pistol would you take

And what ammo?
Personally I'd carry either with just regular defensive rounds but they do make this stuff for 9m..

9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN

"This load is designed to penetrate deeply (4 to 6 feet) in a straight line, through flesh and bones and that flat nose does considerably more terminal damage, as it crushes its way through tissues, than a round nose bullet does as it slips and slides its way through tissues and that crushing action, keeps the bullet nose forward and ensures very deep straight-line penetration. Round nose bullets tend to get sideways as they slip and slide through tissues and this often causes them to veer off the path. This bullet is designed to crush through a large bear skull, coming and going."

upload_2018-10-25_4-41-37.jpeg

And what ammo?

I wouldn't worry about it unless you were alone and very remote, but thats just me.

otherwise, whatever is most comfortable for a day of work. Either should stop anything from cat to man sized animals with regular defensive ammo.

The wild animals are what makes the forest wild. Eliminating predators (if possible) only makes things worse. I would not want backwoods without predators. We would be overrun with prey animals then and the balance would be all out of whack.
Exactly. You would trade a few predators for a multitude of diseases.

After recently being in the woods, hearing wolves howl and seeing large piles of predator scat (but no elk for obvious reasons), my new rule of thumb is that your firearm should be at least as big as the pile of predator poo.

Last Edited:
Good choices. Both are hard cast with flat noses, so good bear loads assuming a head shot. If you can handle the recoil. But with the 13 oz. LCR, I know I couldn't. No way would my Masochism Quotient (approximately zero) tolerate .38 sp +P from a gun that light. And if I won't practice with it I won't carry it for defense. If I were carrying a 13 oz .38 or .357 revolver, I would load it with Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel 150gr full wadcutter hardcasts. This is a full wadcutter designed for self-defense. Instead of soft lead and low power like most full wadcutters, it is HC and loaded to just below +P pressure.

In your original post you asked about your beretta px4 versus ruger lcr. Assuming the full size px4, that weighs 28 oz and carries 17 rounds of 9mm...against an lcr, I would go for the px4, even though I'm usually a revolver person. But I don't shoot light guns well at all. I would expect to shoot the full size Storm reasonably well. Not necessarily the fly-weight revolver.

Good choices. Both are hard cast with flat noses, so good bear loads assuming a head shot. If you can handle the recoil. But with the 13 oz. LCR, I know I couldn't. No way would my Masochism Quotient (approximately zero) tolerate .38 sp +P from a gun that light. And if I won't practice with it I won't carry it for defense. If I were carrying a 13 oz .38 or .357 revolver, I would load it with Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel 150gr full wadcutter hardcasts. This is a full wadcutter designed for self-defense. Instead of soft lead and low power like most full wadcutters, it is HC and loaded to just below +P pressure.

In your original post you asked about your beretta px4 versus ruger lcr. Assuming the full size px4, that weighs 28 oz and carries 17 rounds of 9mm...against an lcr, I would go for the px4, even though I'm usually a revolver person. But I don't shoot light guns well at all. I would expect to shoot the full size Storm reasonably well. Not necessarily the fly-weight revolver.

I have the Beretta Px4 full size, but carry the Beretta Px4 Compact which does not print as much. I also have a Ruger LC9S.

Anyone have experience with flat nose bullets feeding in the above handguns?

I have the larger hogue grip for the 3" LCR on the snubby LCR38 and am able to shoot the Golden Saber 125 grain +p accurately. Houge1.jpg

Yes, its my wife's revolver o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads