JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recent Mt Hood hiker found dead and suspected victim of cougar attack. Earlier this summer two bicyclists were attacked and one killed.

Are there too many cougars? The wife and I are " discussing intensely". She hikes and is getting fearful, and will not carry a firearm. I say we are in the part of the predator / prey cycle where there are too many predators and not enough prey.

Anyone care to share their learned opinions?

Are cougar, wolf, bear, coyote populations too big for the current elk, deer , prey populations?

D

It was probably a two legged preditor attempting to frame a cougar

So what is the best way a woman should carry if she does not have chl while hiking? if carried open carryno lawful problem? but she'd have to contend with Portlandia antigun types. If carried in a fanny pack, that would be concealed?

So what is the best way a woman should carry if she does not have chl while hiking? if carried open carryno lawful problem? but she'd have to contend with Portlandia antigun types. If carried in a fanny pack, that would be concealed?

She should get a CHL and mabey carry in a belly band were she can reach it easy

Last Edited:
What is the law regarding open carry while hiking in Oregon without a concealed weapon permit?

Open carry is legal in Oregun everywhere you go in the woods. However, during any hunting season for big game you could have a problem if carrying a weapon that could be used to hunt and you are not in possession of a valid tag... But I've not checked the hunting regs in a long time.

If it's not in the open and in plain site it's concealed

It's not necessarily about the quantity of predators out there, it's a lack of fear the predators have for humans.

The Oregon Ban on Baited Bear Hunting and Cougar Hunting with Dogs Act, also known as Measure 18, was on the November 8, 1994 ballot where obviously passed. That was 24 years ago. Cougars live about 8-13 years, there is no cougar live today that has ever been hunted with the use of dogs. Gee whiz, I wonder why they no longer have fear of man?

She should get a CHL and mabey carry in a belly band were she can reach it easy
Back in the day, I carried openly in the woods only in areas where I was expecting to meet few people and essentially no urbanites. Even three decades ago, if I open carried in any if the popular hiking areas near Corvallis, I would get funny looks, and quickly learned to cc only in such places. Cc is better tactically anyway.

While I have no doubt that there are more predators out there...I am generally more worried about a two legged predator than a four legged one.
That said I do not discount mountain lions , bears , wolves etc...

By all means carry a gun if you wish...carry it effectively... In such a manner that makes it secure , yet easy for you to get to if needed...
Keep a clean camp...Police up your garbage and don't leave food out
Pay attention to what is going on around you...leave the damn I-pod , cell phone etc ...off and take off the double damn ear buds...
Remember that you are not the one out there that has fangs , claws , thick fur and has to hunt and fight for a meal....Nor are you on your home ground , you are where the wild things are , where they live , play and eat... this bears repeating : Pay attention to your surroundings.
Andy

I may catch some heat for this ,but ,I think human overpopulation has more to do with it than animal population!
There are most definitely too many predators, the biggest problem is not the four legged ones but those with two.
I agree on both.
And one human death by cougar in say 150 years of Oregon being a populated state is hardly a cause for concern.
Be vigilant when in the woods no doubt but no cause for abject paranoia.

The wild animals are what makes the forest wild. Eliminating predators (if possible) only makes things worse. I would not want backwoods without predators. We would be overrun with prey animals then and the balance would be all out of whack.

I felt sorry for the victim upon hearing about the death on the news last night. If I was any way related to the victim I would want the immediate eradication of all "dangerous predators".

Living in Central Oregon I view the predator problem a bit differently. Here I feel there is a lack of predators and the deer population has exploded in the last 10 - 15 years. There was a doe on my driveway the other morning that was suckling three fawns. I didn't even think that was possible!?!?!? It blew my mind! The deer population is so thick in my area there is a chronic respiratory illness spreading around the population. In the past 5 years I have had to dispose of 4 dead deer on my property. Not a one of them had a scratch on them. There is no governmental disposal of dead wild animals unless you decide to move the carcass to a public road in the middle of the night... which I do not do.

So if you want to cull the predator population come over and harvest some deer first... a LOT of deer first! You can use my back deck as a stand and I will even buy you a beer... after the rifles have done their job and have been put away!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top