Too many predators ... opinions?

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by BigDanS, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BigDanS

BigDanS
    Portland

Recent Mt Hood hiker found dead and suspected victim of cougar attack. Earlier this summer two bicyclists were attacked and one killed.

Are there too many cougars? The wife and I are “ discussing intensely”. She hikes and is getting fearful, and will not carry a firearm. I say we are in the part of the predator / prey cycle where there are too many predators and not enough prey.

Anyone care to share their learned opinions?

Are cougar, wolf, bear, coyote populations too big for the current elk, deer , prey populations?

D

Mister Bisley, bbbass and Medic! like this.
  2. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2018 Volunteer

After they banned hunting with dogs, everything changed for the better if you're a bear or cougar

3. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

It’s not necessarily about the quantity of predators out there, it’s a lack of fear the predators have for humans.

4. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened
    Pain in the neck. Gold Supporter

So ask your wife "Just who is responsible for your personal safety"?
    You as her husband? Me as a good Samaritan? Or maybe it's the police?

Anyways, there are 6,000 cougars out there waiting on her decision.

5. titsonritz

titsonritz
    has left the building.

There are most definitely too many predators, the biggest problem is not the four legged ones but those with two.

6. Coloradocat

Coloradocat
    Rocky mountains

If she won't carry a gun get a good dog or two.At the very least it will distract a predator long enough for her to get away .Best case they will scare em off without confrontation.
    Most people don't realize that predators are around and see you a lot more than you see them.most will avoid humans and try their damndest to go unseen by people .Thats why bobcats ,Cougars ,wolves ,even bears are mostly active at night.
    Maybe it's just that there are more people out in the woods ,and predators are getting used to seeing them on the regular ,and in their eat or be eaten world are actually starting to see people as aprey animal?

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Slobray, bbbass, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  8. MasterChief1

MasterChief1
    ID
    It isn't what it used to be... Bronze Supporter

Maybe she will carry something else? HECK yes on the Dog @Coloradocat !

Seriously...between the 2 and 4 legged predators...every one should carry some type of PDW.....i like the firearm myself. (i'm still trying to convince my wife to carry her pistol, but she is carrying a knife and pepperspray....a step up from nothing :oops:). I usually carry my G26 or S&W shield....if I'm open carry.... rolling with the 1911.....I would rather have something than nothing.

Situational awareness is most important.

9. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!

Meet my newest cougar, wolf, bear, and forest zombie repellant dispenser... ;)

B3977967-3FE4-485C-85C6-66D5C9DF9C2B.jpeg 5C1AB5D5-C7A4-4021-A67C-5F647F6B5875.jpeg

10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Caveman Jim, bbbass, nammac and 3 others like this.
  11. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Forget a dog, get good life insurance

12. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!

Yes, and it’s ALL MINE!! :s0133:

IOM, bbbass, nammac and 4 others like this.
  13. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!

And have a female suitor standing by.... :s0033:

14. OldBroad44

OldBroad44
    Oregon

When Oregon changed laws to outlaw hunting with dogs, given that it was already illegal to use baits, there was essentially no effective means of hunting cougars and bears. This not only meant we would have more cougars and bears, but even more important, they wouldn't be afraid of people. I think we can expect more and more attacks on humans as older momma predators--who taught their cubs to avoid humans--die off and are replaced with Mamma's who have never been hunted.

One of my neighbors had a cougar come right up on the back porch. I had a bear come right into my back yard after the ducks penned on my deck, and refused to cease and desist even when spotlighted. I had to put a shot in the ground next to him to get him to skeedaddle. (Alas, I had no bear tag, and it was the wrong time of year and day to just put him in the freezer.)

15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Doin Patriot Stuff

YUP! As I posted in another thread a min ago, this is what happens when MAN interferes ( tries to control ) nature! We all but killed off the Apex predator ( WOLF) and so we wonder why we have so many other beta predators! Stupid people! And I know the Wolf discussion sets people off and makes enemies out of friends, but when are we going to stop effing around trying to control something we have no business with?:eek::eek::eek: If were going to do with out Wolves, then we need to work on the other predators to control their numbers, and that in't going to happen with all the feel good city folks who love all the furry critters!
    I'm pissing in the wind here, I know, but still, some one needs to say it!

Always carry a BIG GUN! Man isn't the ultimate predator in the wilds urban or forest!

16. Coloradocat

Coloradocat
    Rocky mountains

I may catch some heat for this ,but ,I think human overpopulation has more to do with it than animal population!

17. BigDanS

BigDanS
    Portland

Speaking of control, the natural cycle is lots of prey, predators increase their population until there isn’t enough prey. Predators die off, so prey numbers improve, repeat. Survival of the fittest.

Florida bow has too many black bears, cougars, coyotes, alligators, crocs, and snakes like pythons. Deer popularions are declining.

I am wondering if the same is true here. 6000 cougars was a 2015 number. I am guessing more like 8000.

What is the law regarding open carry while hiking in Oregon without a concealed weapon permit?

D

Mister Bisley, Arleyg, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  18. P7id10T

P7id10T
    Tetrachromatic
    Dysfunction Junction Gold Supporter 2018 Volunteer

mmmmmmm, long Pig!

and encourage your SO to go out walking more....

19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Yes, keeping eyes in the back of our head is of utmost importance, ALWAYS. Whether your at the mall or in the woods, know whats going on around you or you WILL become a victim at some point.

Mister Bisley, Slobray, IOM and 4 others like this.
  20. Black Dog

Black Dog
    Eagle Creek Or
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Look at all the cougar sightings close in and around Portland lately. Maybe when they start dragging kids off the animal rights people will say ok we were wrong? Yep right!

KKG, Caveman Jim and bbbass like this.