Too many carry guns?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PNWguy, Apr 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PNWguy

PNWguy
    Palouse, WA

I think I've had a revelation...

I've gone through a few carry guns the past two years and realized that I have not gotten completely comfortable and competent with any of them.

The fact is that when you face a situation when your adrenaline is pumping and your body is on auto-pilot, you revert to muscle memory and training. I've experienced this. Along with the tunnel vision, certain sounds being cut out and others amplified, seems like everything is moving in slow motion, etc.

I've been in such a frenzy to find THE perfect carry gun, that I have neglected the basic practice of drawing from concealment, point shooting, rapid fire, etc.

Of course it being winter with snow covering everything hasn't helped, either.

I need to take my latest choice, the M&P40c, and just shoot it. I need to carry it as much as possible in one or two holsters and practice, practice, practice.

I need the process of reaching for my CCW, drawing it, and firing it rapidly and accurately as natural as possible.

Right now, I have three primary carry guns and 6 or 7 holsters. I need to stop carrying the XDS just because it's the smallest, or the G19 when wearing lots of clothing since it's the most comfortable when OWB. I need to focus on the M&P in one IWB holster and one OWB holster and just deal with it, rather than endlessly trying different combos in an effort to be a tiny bit more comfortable or a tiny bit more concealed.

BFzqyLcLRuedAZkG-2PeBA.jpg

The KISS principle seems most apt when it comes to carrying a concealed weapon.

Anyone else have such a revelation, or have you never forgotten this most basic of principles?

2. Taco_lean

Taco_lean
    SW WA
    Well-Known Member 2018 Volunteer

You can do 80-90% of what you need to do dry-firing at home.

I try to keep my EDC carry limited to 1-2 guns.

I have felt the same issue as you, especially with non standard carry positions like my HPG chest bag which I use for running and hiking.

2 things that help me are:

Practicing your draw a few times in the morning with your current setup. I can't remember the name of the theory, but I read am article about the benefits of practicing a new task shortly before needing it with drastic improvements.

Keeping similar manual of arms between guns, I.e. all striker fired, or all SA with a safety, etc. I try to stick to this as much as I can, in that none of my guns have safeties, but my main carry gun is a DA/SA.

SUPER X, Alexx1401, IOM and 1 other person like this.
  3. edslhead

edslhead
    Vanc
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I have no problems with any of mine.
    full.jpg

Pops1911, SUPER X, partsed and 3 others like this.
  4. DB Wesner

DB Wesner
    PNW
    Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Went through the same thing about 2 years ago. I had quantity not quality, so I sold & traded up. I have less hand guns, but they’re guns I enjoy owning and shooting.

My EDC is one of 2 guns, both Glocks (26 & 19) same manual of arms and both are Chevy’s to me, simple and reliable tools.

orygun, SUPER X, surevaliance and 3 others like this.
  5. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I've never had a situation where I wasn't aware ahead of time that there could be an issue.

Thankfully, all of the situations I've been in I was able to de-escalate but in the back of my head I was preppared.

I'm very familiar with every gun I own so I'm not worried about it being a striker fired, SA or DA.

I like variety. I'm absolutely going to be carrying in shorts in summer headed to the store for 3 things and I don't like having to do a wardrobe change in order to have a pistol on me so I keep a few of differing sizes and types.

6. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene
    Curmudgeon Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer

This is why all my carry guns have the same controls and same sights in the same locations. It makes them interchangeable from a training standpoint.

Pops1911, orygun, SUPER X and 2 others like this.
  7. PNWguy

PNWguy
    Palouse, WA

Switching to a CCW with a safety is going to require much more practice... Haven't had a safety on a carry gun since my Beretta 96 in `98.

But I have rarely carried with a round in the chamber due to just not being comfortable with it. I know, I know. It's just me.

But having read and watched numerous self-defense shootings, not having a round chambered is not good. You need to be able to draw and fire with your strong hand while using the weak hand to either push the attacker away, deflect an attack, or pull clothing aside. Then having to rack the slide in the process is either not possible, or takes too much time.

HighlandLofts, orygun and Alexx1401 like this.
  8. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene

That's why I carry with a round chambered and a manual thumb safety on.

9. IOM

IOM
    ONP, Wa
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Two key ingredients: Situational Awareness & Practice, Practice, Practice...:D:eek::D

10. USMC1911

USMC1911
    Salem
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

IMO a safety is one more step when split seconds can be life and death. I carry cambered round and safety off or no safety at all. YMMV

IOM and matts like this.
  11. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene

I have been training with the thumb safety for so long that it's off before I have a sight picture, and if I use a pistol with no thumb safety it actually slows me down when my thumb wants to find the safety that isn't there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    orygun, Flymph and USMC1911 like this.
  12. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

I wish I had that problem!

13. Alexx1401

Alexx1401
    Get Off My Lawn!!

I have always only used a couple guns for carry, for just this reason. used to buy and sell a lot. Mainly just because I always wanted to try something new and play with it. Would then sell something to buy another. Carry always stayed with basically 2. 1911 most, something smaller for when dress made the 1911 hard. Now since they screwed up selling I have a hell of a lot more guns than I ever did at any one time. Still only carry a couple. It is a VERY good idea to make sure you practice with what you carry of course and I would be very leery of carrying several different pistols unless they all had the same basic action. Sure don't want to have to "think" about how it operates when chips are all on the line.

orygun and Flymph like this.
  14. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

Note to self... don't wear a jacket with a draw string to negate accidental discharges and to keep fashionably keen!

15. USMC1911

USMC1911
    Salem

Not a great example of how a safety would "help" but an excellent example of extremely poor gun handling and negligent discharge. So many cardinal rules of safety violated in that video it's ridiculous.

titsonritz and oli700 like this.
  16. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke
    Eugene

When you can find 3 instances of this happening in 30 seconds on the internet it's a real problem. There are other instances where an object got into the holster and caused a discharge. I'm convinced that having only a trigger safety is a bad idea. You can do whatever you want, but I won't own one.

17. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

I've never liked trigger safeties, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also because they seem like a mechanically odd place for a safety.
    I prefer heavier DA trigger pulls, but like SA for follow up.

18. OldBroad44

OldBroad44
    Oregon
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Ive had similar exoeriences.

One issue is finding the size and type of guns and carry methods that work best for you in various situations. That requires trying and living with a variety of guns. That can take years or decades as our interests, knowledge, and finances change and expand. And its fun.

Another issue is whether you have enough time to stay in practice with multiple self-defense guns with multiple manuals of arms carried multiple ways in addition to the guns you enjoy shooting the most and shoot for fun. For me the answer to this is no. And it takes more practice than I have ever had time for to go between revolvers and semiautos enough to be comfortable with both for self defense.

Since revolvers are what I enjoy shooting for fun, I ultimately consolidated to revolvers only for self defense as well as recreation. And to two CC modes only, depending upon the situation and what I'm wearing.

But, then I'm at a stage where I need to simplify some things in order to maintain and expand others. One kind and color of socks, dozens of pairs. On the other hand, learning to play harmonica.

19. SUPER X

SUPER X
    UTOPIAN PARIDISE

I prefer a revolver for safety and simplicity the only down side is capacity a new york reload is a good option if possible. they are ready to go and no safety or slide to rack .

20. rick benjamin

rick benjamin
    USA, Or, Damascus
    Secure the drama Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Weapon is unloaded, holstered.
    Face your target.
    Close your eyes.
    Draw and aim.
    Open your eyes. Where is the gun pointing? Sight alignment. Sight picture.
    Shuffle this way and that till your gun is pointed at the target. Do it again till you are on-target.
    Memorize how your head, shoulders, knees and toes are positioned and feel.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, natural point of aim.
    Squeeze your trigger. Sight picture should stay centered on the target
    Your entire body becomes the gun platform

The best gun will feel and align best. Discard the rest.

My best fit guns are Glock double stacks (22, 27).
    My everyday carry is the G27 in a Blackhawk SERPA worn inside waistband.

Strive to make your first round count.
    Practice does make perfect.

orygun likes this.