JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Other than the obvious running out of line, are there any issues that can arise from having less line on a reel? Like casting challenges or whatnot?

I don't think I'll be casting farther than 50-75 yards (on a spinning reel), so I'd like to just split a spool of 300 yard braid between two of reels. But the reels hold significantly more than 150.

Do you think I will be fine? Or do I really need to think about using something like a mono starter to use first?

Thanks!

Yep back with mono and tie a royal polaris knot to join braid. Casting distance will be greatly affected by too little line as interference with spool lip is increased.

YUP! Most folks I know will back a spool with a couple hundred feet to a couple hundred yards of mono, or cheap braid to get the spool filled up. Like Osprey says, it WILL effect your casting results! Besides, if you get taken down by a BIG fish, your going to want that spool filled, trust me! I have had Chinook hall arse down stream on me, taking 300+ feet of line off my spool before I could stop it and turn it around and fight it back to me, Epic fight on a 10/17 pound drift rod with 15 pound line!

100lb braid would be a decent backing, except it holds moisture more than mono. Mono is a cheap alternative. :)

I always went with cotton string as backing. With a wrap of masking tape. That's how Fisherman's Marine always did it. Trying to determine HOW much so you could get the amount of braid you wanted was the tough part.

I tended to use line size that would put way more line on the reel than I could/wanted to use. Visualize that 130-150 yards pulled off your reel? At that point you're not getting that fish anyway. Keeping the close to maximum fill is paramount for optimum casting though

What's wrong with a double Uni knot?

I back my braid with 20' of Mono.. when I hit mono I know I'm screwed.

Personally, I use ether a nail knot, or a blood knot to join the two, this way, no matter how slick the main line is, it cannot slip! :cool:

I look at blood knot and nail knot and it makes my head spin. I've used the alberto knot for tying a 15#-20# fluorocarbon 3' section to 20# Tuff Line on bass gear. It's a simplified Albright knot.
How to Tie the Alberto Fishing Knot

The royal polaris/ john collins knot I referenced is very strong and forms a small profile which aids in going through the guides. It is also easy to tie after doing it a couple times. Basically you form a loop with the mono in left hand and come up through it with the braid and wrap the braid 6 times around to the left and then back 6 times to the right. Then tag end of braid goes back through mono loop and it all gets cinched up. That's it. I use it for top shot of mono on my salmon rods with braid mainline and also for a topshot of mono or flourocarbon for live bait tuna fishing. I have knot had a failure with it yet.:D

The royal polaris/ john collins knot I referenced is very strong and forms a small profile which aids in going through the guides. It is also easy to tie after doing it a couple times. Basically you form a loop with the mono in left hand and come up through it with the braid and wrap the braid 6 times around to the left and then back 6 times to the right. Then tag end of braid goes back through mono loop and it all gets cinched up. That's it. I use it for top shot of mono on my salmon rods with braid mainline and also for a topshot of mono or flourocarbon for live bait tuna fishing. I have knot had a failure with it yet.:D

That Alberto knot looks the same as your Tom Collins knot?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top