JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm right there with ya, Our Golden Retriever is 19 years old, and it's only a little more time before we have to say good by to each other! The second best thing mankind ever did for himself was to domesticate the dog, and we are forever blessed by them in our lives. WANO really said it best, I feel honored that I was the one chosen to have such a great buddy for all these years, and I will always have a dog with me! Know that you are far from alone, and the pain in your heart will pass leaving only the fond memories!

This was Bubba, he lived a long life for a Boston Terrier. I got him when he was 1-yr old from an retired couple who couldn't keep him where they were moving to, and we (me and Bubba) hit it off right from the word go. He was the first dog that was MINE as we bonded almost instantly. He could run like a jack rabbit, easily jump off the ground over 3', play tug 'o war like a maniac, and outright get in your face when he wanted attention.

In his old age (of 14+) he was blind as a bat (common for the breed) and would echo-locate and sniff his way around (seriously).... the little bastige was onery, funny as hell, and loyal. In the end he wouldn't (couldn't) eat, and he couldn't even stand up. All through his final night he'd try to stand up then flop back down, over and over... ALL night long. I'm convinced he knew it was his time but wouldn't give up.

In the morning I took him to the vet and had his suffering ended peacefully... considering everything I'd survived in life up to that point (military service, car/motorcycle wrecks, two divorces, etc) it was the hardest thing I ever did (emotionally). Years later I still have his ashes in a little urn and I'm waiting to bury them until I find just the right place... that's what you do for a friend.

IMG_4203.JPG

I am sorry to hear this. I wish him a peaceful trip over the rainbow bridge. We lost our family fir friend 4 months ago. It was rough. But we just got a new puppy, a rescue.

God only made ONE mistake (IMHO) creating dogs... they should've had at least a 50+ year life span.

YES!! I keep a pic of mine on the PC at work. When people ask I tell them they are the reason I still come to work. Kids are grown and don't need me anymore. That has long been my wish, that they could live as long as I do. People are right about being there when it's done. My Wife so far can't, so it falls to me. I would not have it any other way. I want to hold them as they take that last breath and fall asleep. Everyone handles it differently but to me as soon as one goes down I start looking for another. Nothing eases the pain for me faster than another. They bond so hard to us so fast that it helps ease the pain of the one you just lost. They really are the best friend we have.

It's a damned hard thing to go through, and I share the previous feelings others have noted. We had to let our Blue Heeler of 15 yrs and change go while back. We were blessed to have him that long. Definitely a pick-up dog. I may have owned the truck, but he ruled the bed. His tags are now a permanent fixture back there.

A hard thing. A very hard thing. Why is it easier to have good people die in your arms than to put down your own dog? I personally pushed the hypo giving our Yellow Lab "Goldie" that last release. Then I sang our swan song. She was over 15. This happened over 15 years ago. Strange how some things stick with you. You are experiencing a major loss. No need to go hard on yourself.

Is it not strange and queer that we can laugh and cry at the same time? Good memories. Still grief. :( :)

PNWShooter,
I am so very sorry. We went through 1 1/2 years of death with two dogs and a cat (all pals, all about 16 years old) having to be put down. In fact, even though it's been nearly three years, and we recently got adopted by a very cool dog ....... my eyes are just a little bit misty. Not for me, but for you ...... because I know how hard this is going to be for you. I'll be thinking about you and your pal.

Take care.

Pets are family, whether cat or dog. Sorry to hear of your buddy coming to the end of the line. It is the hardest thing to do in your life, take them to the vet for that last time. I still see my buddy sitting at my feet or just waiting for me to get home. They are family! You are doing the right thing and not allowing him to suffer any more. Hope you get through it with out too much pain. Been there and done that. It ain't good. You are a man though.

I am sorry. I know how it is to put a dog down when he/she is old. I have had many dogs in my life I remember every and they had their unique personalities.

Sorry you have to put him down, it's always hard. We had a cat who's liver failed and we gave him water from syringes and his favorite food steak with a strawberry jam and yogurt dessert. Miss that big guy. Killed a raccoon, bit half the tail of another, and gave some yotes a free ear cropping.

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all the kind words. He passed peacefully a couple of hours ago. Here's a shot of him enjoying his backyard one last time. He loved it back there. It's going to feel so empty without him. No more pain.
20170514_162825.jpg

Sorry you lost a good one. People you've never met, who've never seen your wonderful buddy, are shedding some tears reading this thread. You were blessed to have such a wonderful friend for so long (my last pup, an Irish Wolfhound that was the best friend ever, "only" lasted 8 years, the far end of their lifespan -and it was too painful to get another pup for years and years). Dogs are so special we have difficulty even describing it. You'll have great memories of your pup all your life. They'll crop up at odd times too. My new pup will never replace the old one, but she's a total nut, and seeing her do stupid things, like grabbing some carrion off the ground (2 days ago) AFTER eating elk and deer crap on the same 100 yard stretch and then started chasing some deer, caused me to remember my old, loyal dog. 20 years later, I still shed a tear for her. You will too.

Best to you....

Sorry you lost a good one. People you've never met, who've never seen your wonderful buddy, are shedding some tears reading this thread. You were blessed to have such a wonderful friend for so long (my last pup, an Irish Wolfhound that was the best friend ever, "only" lasted 8 years, the far end of their lifespan -and it was too painful to get another pup for years and years). Dogs are so special we have difficulty even describing it. You'll have great memories of your pup all your life. They'll crop up at odd times too. My new pup will never replace the old one, but she's a total nut, and seeing her do stupid things, like grabbing some carrion off the ground (2 days ago) AFTER eating elk and deer crap on the same 100 yard stretch and then started chasing some deer, caused me to remember my old, loyal dog. 20 years later, I still shed a tear for her. You will too.

Best to you....

Yup...sobbing like a baby... I lost my buddy 4 years ago.... I haven't been able to move on. My son has a wonderful pooch that lives with us and helps full the hole in my heart, but I still miss my old pal... I was there when he left us and it was and still is the hardest thing I have ever done. :(

@PNWShooter I am so sorry to hear that! I couldn't even finish reading your 1st post.Thoughts and prayers go out to you bud! We had to put down our baby down back in October and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do! He was a lab retreiver mix and I got him when he was just 8 wks old!That dog spent the next 11 years of his short life with me almost every day, 2 nasty breakups, losing my father,cross country moves, ring bearer at my wedding, 2 years working on the Oregon coast,protecting my wife from a bear while camping at Yosemite... He was the most undeserved and loyal companion I could ever ask for and certainly did not deserve. Kryptonite developed seizures in late 2015 and less than a year later they became so severe that medication couldn't control them so we had to choose his wellbeing over our pain!:(

@PNWShooter I am so sorry to hear that! I couldn't even finish reading your 1st post.Thoughts and prayers go out to you bud! We had to put down our baby down back in October and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do! He was a lab retreiver mix and I got him when he was just 8 wks old!That dog spent the next 11 years of his short life with me almost every day, 2 nasty breakups, losing my father,cross country moves, ring bearer at my wedding, 2 years working on the Oregon coast,protecting my wife from a bear while camping at Yosemite... He was the most undeserved and loyal companion I could ever ask for and certainly did not deserve. Kryptonite developed seizures in late 2015 and less than a year later they became so severe that medication couldn't control them so we had to choose his wellbeing over our pain!:(

Sounds like a great dog. If only dogs had longer lives. Thanks for your kind words.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top