Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tommy guns for Police gear?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Nickb, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

Flopsweat and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll take my Thompson over a Bushmaster any day.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  3. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

see you at 500 yards my friend........but I guess you would see me in the room so were even I guess lol

They had a show on where a gun shop moded a Thompson for a faster cyclic and some rails or something and gave it to the local police ......all I really remember was it tore a$$ ,it was a beast

4. jbett98

If someone offered you a free Bushmaster AR-15 or an original FA Thompson with a 50 rd drum, which one would you pick?

teflon97239, oli700, 308 and 5 others like this.
  5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Hard choice: 44 Bushmasters or the Thompson. I'd still probably take the Thompson even though I'd have to wait for the tax stamp to clear!

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

6. jbett98

Went through 10 drums last Sunday with mine, and still can't believe what a kick in the azz it is.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

You are the man!

That is 10x50 right or about $240 in ammo? STILL prob worth it. That place in Las Vegas charges that much to shoot 50.

8. jbett98

Taking my Nephew out tomorrow if it doesn't rain to hard. It's his belated X-Mas present.
    As far as ammo is concerned, I'm still working through all of the 45 & 9mm ammo that my late friend left behind.
    The Tommy seems like it's in slow motion compared to the Mac 11.

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wonder how long the list of applicants for Sheriff's deputy is?

10. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Vancouver Bang Bang

I just saw that episode of sons of guns where they modernized the tommy gun for the Baton Rouge swat team. Pretty neat

11. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I'd trade most of the guns I own for an original tommy gun, not sure I could let the sons of guns gang near it though.

Flopsweat and (deleted member) like this.
  12. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

I'm happy that they somehow managed to get registered during the amnesty period and don't have to be destroyed or sat away in a locked museum collection somewhere. They probably aren't the best police guns, but its good that they were actually able to be used to acquire usable gear for this department and the Thompsons get to go back to what they were designed for. Lots of shooting...

13. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

love my home state! I could hear this story go the other way in different places:
    "Sheriffs Department destroy 30,000 dollar Tommy Guns to fight gun violance"
    Crappppppp

14. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm not dogging on the Tommy gun by any means, but I don't understand what this Sheriffs office is thinking. Though the TG has proven its worth in CQB situations for the last 80 or so years, there are far better modern weapon systems available for LEO's. I personally think this is more of a publicity stunt than a tactical decision.

15. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

Sounds like they already carry .45s, it would have simplified ammo a little.

16. tacticalgunner

I don't think its a publicity stunt, I think IMO its a good move. Can you imagine what the headlines and negative publicity the media would put on a sheriffs department if they had to use those 2 weapons. The liberal media would tear them up calling it 30's gangster justice or something stupid like that. I like the idea because they did not ask for more tax dollars, a levi or bond to fund new weapons, they got creative and actually put those guns to good use to a buyer that will most in likely sell, keep and preserve those 2 beautiful relics. If it was a publicity stunt, they would have most in likly destroyed them in public to make a statement.

17. simon99

Don't misunderstand my post tacticalgunner, as I agree 1 thousand percent with you....

I'm just thinking out loud as to why they went this route, essentially going backwards weapons-wise when all the other agencies are bringing in MRAPS, drones and 50 cal. sniper rifles? For this reason I question why they would do such a thing.....what's next, issuing their officers deuce and a quarters and M1's because they got a great deal?

18. tacticalgunner

simon, i am guessing I don't understand your post, what I read from the post is that they found 2 TG's, traded for modern weapons. I don't see where they issued the TG's to officers, I read they traded for 44 modern rifles for the 2 TG's. Or am I reading it wrong.

19. simon99

Dude, I'm a freaking moron. I apologize to the thread and OP. I just now read the article! I was under the assumption that they found a trove of TG's and issued them out.

Sorry....sometimes my mouth and fingers work faster than my brain.

20. tacticalgunner

Hey brother, my mouth overloads my butt 9 outta 10 times, I get it

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.