Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tokarev safety hole filling?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by taylor, Oct 6, 2013.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I removed the importation added safety on a Romanian Tokarev and while it doesn't affect my shooting I think it looks like hell. Is there any gunsmith locally (Salem) or otherwise who can install a bolt screw or weld it closed?
    I'd appreciate any suggestions as to what to do with the holes?

2. mosinguy1

mosinguy1 out by the ocean Active Member

Most any competent welder should be able to fill it, and grind/sand it flush on both sides. or buy grips that will cover it.

3. Bruin

Bruin oregon Member

Try cutting two 22 caliber fired shells. Cut them at 1/8” and glue them in the holes with supper glue or JBW.

4. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

DON'T eat supper glue for breakfast. Sorry couldn't help myself.

5. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

The 22's are too small. I measured the safety shaft with my calipers and it was .311 then I measured the .22 shells at the point nearest the rim and it was .227. Using a shell is a fantastic idea though, I think a .32acp case might fit. Next trip to the range and I'll load up with various sizes and I'm sure I'll find one that works. Thanks Bruin.

6. bballer182

bballer182 Molalla Active Member

32acp shoots .312" bullets. The case will be too big. However, if you can get your hands on a couple 32 cal bullets you could plug the hole with those. They are .0015" bigger than the hole so they should fit nice and tight.

7. Bruin

Bruin oregon Member

Taylor, 32 cal acp will work if you can trim the case down to the extractor groove which measures .300. forward of that the case measures .332.