JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's simply how I was raised (and how I raise my own). At 16 you get your DL, at 18 you register for selective service, at 21 you get your CHL and you USE it.

It's simply a matter of being a responsible individual and U.S. citizen. You never need one until you "need" one and you will "never" have the luxury of choosing the time or place.

I never heard of this, and my lady works right across the street from there. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

Been in a handful of hairy situations myself, and fortunately never had to even touch a gun to get out of them. But I make sure the option is there. Most recent was while I was at work and a homeless man was trying to break into the apartment I was working on. Downtown has really become something terrible. There were bars on the windows, but I had only an hour before that released them and fought to get them to stay closed (old building, faulty hardware). Glad he couldn't get in. Not to mention the riots. I saw a group marching right by me and a handful in the front had rifles. I got out of there quick.

Stay safe, stay strapped.

I used to carry selectively; when carrying valuables or large sums of cash, when I knew I would be going to an inner city, working late at night, etc.

Ever since things changed starting with Covid and the "peaceful protests", I've been carrying if I step outside the house. Now I feel weird if I'm wearing pants and don't have my gun on me.

It's my "new normal".

Washington County just posted up the following:
- Armed Robbery
- Target Pharmacy on Evergreen Pkwy
- Suspect had note saying he had a gun, no gun displayed
- Store is evacuated

Now, I've had my CC license for awhile - but I've never felt particularly compelled to carry. After all, this is a very low crime neighborhood. But, this is my Target. Hell, my wife and I are there so much the Starbucks workers know my daughter and have seen her grow up from a 6lb blanket-wrapped bundle to a walking, talking human being.

This incident has me rethinking things a bit. So, I'm curious...if you carry a gun, what was the reason that led up to your decision? Was it a gradual realization or a single event that forced the conclusion into sharp relief?
For me it started about two decades ago when I was spending a lot of time alone in remote wilderness on mountain bikes and/or quads. You would never find me unarmed alone in the wilderness. A few wildlife encounters and some creepy tweakers reinforced that I made the right call. I eventually got tired of having to unload and lock away my firearms when getting back in the car, driving through a town, etc.. So I got the permit. Painless enough. Now it's EDC, no regrets. except when I have to go to the damn post office. As long as people are prepared to accept the awesome responsibility of CC, there's absolutely no reason not to these days.

I realized a long time ago that I am my own first responder a long time ago.
what I was late to find was the book
"The law of self defense" by Andrew Branca.
I had taken several defense courses. But what I had been lacking was the legal side. I thought I knew the law. But it's a classic case that sometimes we don't know what we don't know.

Anyone who carries owes it to themselves to get Andrew Bancas book.
The community does a good job preaching to get physical training, but could do more to preach legal training.

I carry because I wasn't able to defend myself when I got jumped by my druggy cousins racist husband and his buds.

I didn't take their threats to "get me" seriously.

If I had been carrying that morning I may not have ended up with a few knife scars.

That's why I carry.

I SHOULD carry something better than what I currently carry, an ancient Remington 95 derringer. Debating carrying my newly acquired H&R .32, hammerless. 5 shot revolver, 5 shots and double action is certainly far better in an actual situation. Plus, its small enough to not bug me.

Last Edited:
I have a sig p938 on my ankle when I wear socks, and I always wear socks

IMG_2406.jpg

Why I carry? Right here.
bubblegumin scum.jpg
I went up to our family's place east of Estacada to finish mowing the lawn this morning and was greeted with a shattered front door. I called the Sheriff after I cleared the house, or thought I did. While I was waiting for the deputy to show up I heard a thunk inside and then moved to where I could watch the other exits. Good news is that there was nobody inside. Bad news was that we didn't catch anybody...
The Clackamas County Sheriff deputy was awesome. We spent some time about techniques for clearing a house and rooms. Great guy.

Why I carry? Right here.
View attachment 981461
I went up to our family's place east of Estacada to finish mowing the lawn this morning and was greeted with a shattered front door. I called the Sheriff after I cleared the house, or thought I did. While I was waiting for the deputy to show up I heard a thunk inside and then moved to where I could watch the other exits. Good news is that there was nobody inside. Bad news was that we didn't catch anybody...
The Clackamas County Sheriff deputy was awesome. We spent some time about techniques for clearing a house and rooms. Great guy.
Did you get a bunch of stuff stolen? Trashed? Dang man!

Even with sandals and shorts?

Unlike @Xrperry I'm apt to wear sandals every once in awhile...but normally spot OluKai Moloā shoes (sans socks). And, unless I'm swimming, am wearing pants...so @Xrperry's carry method intrigues me.

Lightweight, breathable, light colored pants are more effective in the sun and hot climates than shorts. And if you're just lounging around the house, let me introduce you to Thai fisherman's pants - a hell of a lot more comfy than shorts.

I'm a prepper.
While that term may not mean the same to everyone, for me, it means being ready for whatever might happen. Job loss? Have savings and food stores. Banks shut down? Covered with various stashes. Someone trying to harm me or mine? I have what I need to stop it.
Working on getting back into better shape, but regardless, I'm not trading fists with someone who tries to harm me. Knife and pistol, every day.

Nothing, if much was taken. Except my day and that nice piece of glass.
Good. I always wondered about all those houses/cabins back off of Hwy 26 up past Zig Zag and Rhododendron. We used to drive around there looking for places to hunt mushrooms. Hardly ever saw anybody, and no one ever question us for driving around in those little communities. Now days society seems to be going in the toilet so I bet those folks up there get broken into a lot more now. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top