JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry for a number of reasons from being my right, to self defense etc. I also figure that because I am a smaller person at 5' 6", 116 lbs there's a potential for a disparity of force issue I could be faced with, so I want to have a viable tool to protect myself and others around me with. Plus with my job, which includes driving cop rigs to and from fleet after my shop upfits them, lord knows who may think I'm a LEO and want to do harm given the anti police sentiment going on.

I didn't read it for that reason. Just the headline made sick enough.
If I could unread the kid's last words, I would. Fukme I'm still bent about it.

Steven Pinker would say we've never had life better, as a species...but with the way things look...I wonder if we're about to take a dip in the ratings.

Clackamas Town Center shooting. Co-incidentally, 540 Tactical offered a two state CC class. A year later, Atty Andrew Branca offered a class on the law and self defense. Books by Mas Ayoob. Practice and practice. Carry when away from home. Carry at home. Carry at least two defense tools (gun, knife). Practice situational awareness. I tend to walk past "those" signs. I dress sloppy, nobody sees the G27, nobody asks. I carry an extra mag, so all told, 25 40SW. As to intent, around 1978, when I had the armory duty, the Gunny said "if anything's missing, you better be dead with a bunch of empty shell casings.

Hard to say who the suspect is or what his life's station is, pretty easy to say he is not a trained person. Even the simpleton classroom training required by Oregon reminds you of safety and what the law's are. Makes a person a little more thoughtful. Safety training and live fire with a gun is much better. Most of those in these forums have had some formally or informally. It is not the availability of guns to blame for any kind of violence, it is societies willingness to condone violence.

We need mandatory jail time for violence, domestic or public, two days first time two weeks second, two months, third, and a judge could say what a forth time should be. That is NOT being done at all is seems.

Washington County just posted up the following:
- Armed Robbery
- Target Pharmacy on Evergreen Pkwy
- Suspect had note saying he had a gun, no gun displayed
- Store is evacuated

Now, I've had my CC license for awhile - but I've never felt particularly compelled to carry. After all, this is a very low crime neighborhood. But, this is my Target. Hell, my wife and I are there so much the Starbucks workers know my daughter and have seen her grow up from a 6lb blanket-wrapped bundle to a walking, talking human being.

This incident has me rethinking things a bit. So, I'm curious...if you carry a gun, what was the reason that led up to your decision? Was it a gradual realization or a single event that forced the conclusion into sharp relief?
I think it was the Luby's massacre that opened my eyes. Also, I realized that this kind of thing seems to be happening more frequently.

If my wife and I were unfortunate enough to get caught up in one of those tragedies, and I was unable to protect her because I was unwilling to carry a gun, I'm not sure I would be able to look at myself in the mirror.

We need mandatory jail time for violence, domestic or public, two days first time two weeks second, two months, third, and a judge could say what a forth time should be. That is NOT being done at all is seems.
and yet there are people wanting to lessen sentences for violent crimes.

and yet there are people wanting to lessen sentences for violent crimes.

This is a great point and just which party is proposing and pushing the move to lessen sentences for violent crimes???

Give y'all a hint, it starts with "D"...

So let's see, the party that wants to restrict and take away guns also wants to lessen sentences for violent crimes...

Self serving, treasonous vermin...

I do not propose lengthy sentences, just a 'wake up' period of time the third strike, along with knowledge of even stiffer sentences, should deter a good bit of crime.

Most know there has been a political climate in the blue states that is too permissive for people with poor decisions and to tough for the law abiding. No balance.

President Biden did make a try (Again unbalanced) forty years back. That did not work as it was too draconian. Revisit it with a kinder gentler eye toward positive results. Certainty of punishment, rather than length of punishment. No mandatory sentences of more than a year. Which is why they are judged.

Went down to Corvallis yesterday to visit my son there, and bring a bunch of dorm room boxes back. Before coming down, he asks that I not bring the dogs or come armed.
Rolling home late last night, a car tries to run me off I-5, first cutting me off (@75mph) then trying two more times to force me into the guard rail. That was all of three seconds, then my evasive driving kicked in. My only thought after it all was, "I think I'll carry my 40 from now on."
Edit to add: carried my 9 all day, even into places with very prominent, "NO WEAPONS" signs.

Last Edited:
i live in Riotlandia, home to riots and ever increasing population of crazy drug addicts. The increase in crazy people pushed me to get armed.
Today, I was riding MAX ( Portland metro area public transit rail ) when crazy person started getting more aggressive in his rantings. He threw bag of chips at me. I got up and backed away from him while getting ready to draw. He started to walk at me but slowly. I said "stay away" once. Thankfully we got to stop and i switched train cars. The closest was about 20 feet and any quick move on his part would have resulted in a shooting.

i live in Riotlandia, home to riots and ever increasing population of crazy drug addicts. The increase in crazy people pushed me to get armed.
Today, I was riding MAX ( Portland metro area public transit rail ) when crazy person started getting more aggressive in his rantings. He threw bag of chips at me. I got up and backed away from him while getting ready to draw. He started to walk at me but slowly. I said "stay away" once. Thankfully we got to stop and i switched train cars. The closest was about 20 feet and any quick move on his part would have resulted in a shooting.
They don't call the MAX the Crime Train for nothing. Its always been sketch. Laughably (in a sad way) when crime started shooting up out in Gresham at the stops, they increased police presence... on the West Side. Gotta keep the wealthier folk protected, since that's where the tax base was!

The MAX was only useful for going to the Rose Garden, PDX, or downtown IF you weren't buying anything oversized to take with you.

I guess there's a light rail in Dallas, and one in Houston too. Have yet to visit Dallas, and I stay away from Houston proper as a rule. I still don't have a Texas carry permit yet, though I'll be getting it sooner than later even though we're going Constitutional Carry - license to carry holders can go places armed that non-licensees can according to the new law, plus the LTC serves as your background when you buy a gun from a gunshop. Those two things make it worth having. I'm just glad we can keep a pistol in the car, legally, without a license so I'm not completely unarmed. We can also carry any non-firearm weapon open or concealed.

Saw a stat the other day that Portland's murder rate has jumped 800% since 2019. Good job, Portland!

The year is still young, plenty of time to hit 1000%.

It blows me away, especially given what has transpired in the last couple years, how anyone would try to justify not carrying a gun wherever they go.

The #1 thing I see people saying after surviving a violent encounter is, "I can't believe something like that could happen here." Wake the f' up people, crap can go down at any time, at anyplace and I don't care how nice your neighborhood is.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top