Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Todays man.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Just Jim, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Times change. Men in the old west when traveling alone carried what it took for their survival. Rifle and handgun and a lot of times shotgun and handgun. They carried the essentials on themselves and the rest on their horse.

Today what should men carry for survival and where do you put it? What should every man have on his person and what should he have in his vehicle?

jj

2. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I travel over mountain passes year round so I carry stuff that will keep me
    comfortable for a few days.

First off I carry a handgun, flashlight, knife, cellphone and a lighter on my person.

In the vehicle;
    Basic roadside stuff, a spare with air :) tool box, flares and first aid kit.
    oops, (jumper cables and tow strap)
    And;
    Water, food, blanket, tarp, appropriate clothing and boots, ax, shovel, bow saw and
    stainless steel mug and sauce pan, + a bunch of other Sh!t.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. Just Jim

Ever think about a rifle?

jj

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I read in a book not too long ago that the majority of people traveling (looking for work or fortune or whatever) in the old west could not afford firearms. That made them easy picking for criminals and raiders.

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Both your personal and vehicle loadouts are very similar to mine, though I keep an inexpensive rifle in each of my trucks.

6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

On person (always):

Handgun
    Kinfe
    Flashlight
    Cell phone
    Maybe spare mag (depends on how I am dressed and what gun)

In vehicle, a lot of that will depend on what you drive and where you live. I luck out cause I just keep my work gear in there and that covers most of the worst stuff. This time of year I have warm clothes, sleeping bag, tow chain, shovel, rifle, ammo, first aid, bigger flashlight, spare stuff like batteries, GPS, compass, maps, ect.

I guess my rifle should be a cheep one but my bag is a "get home bag" not a bug out bag.

In the summer on my motorcycle I have a lot less stuff but I am geared up with a smaller bag that can still get me by with the very basics.

7. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

Today's man? Sits down and waits for the government to save him.

Me personally I have a bag with 3 days food and water and a Sig P226, in case I need to hoof it home.

8. Just Jim

:bluelaugh::bluelaugh: No really guys be brand specific as to what you think is the tool or tools to carry as a man alone.

jj

9. jib

jib Central OR Active Member

I don't feel comfortable leaving firearms in my vehicle, they could fall into the wrong hands.