JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you sure? Remington didn't make barrels for the M1. Lock back the op rod and look on the right side of the barrel. What markings are there? And where is it marked Remington?

View attachment 611910

Excuse me....SA. Springfield Armory. My mistake.

You guys are so smart! And, sometimes I try to sound smart. That's why I really like this place. I've learned tons O' stuff. :D

Edit: I don't how it took so long for someone to notice the mistake?

Excuse me....SA. Springfield Armory. My mistake.

Edit: I don't how it took so long for someone to notice the mistake?

Well, I didn't see your thread until this morning. I noticed it right off the bat. If I had seen your thread before today I would have posted earlier.

That's a relief about the barrel. When I saw you said Remington I was concerned. People have been known to take a Remington 03A3 barrel and join it to the breech end of a Garand barrel to make a Frankenbarrel. When you said Remington I thought you had one of those.

From the Editor: This particular rifle was also equipped with a composite barrel, a two-groove M1903A3 barrel sleeved into a Garand barrel back end stub. The picture below shows the area in question.

BarrelJoint3a.jpg

Note that the barrel is inverted; the barrel date on the original stub was stamped upside down! The next picture shows the seam very clearly.

BarrelJoint2.jpg

By the way, your stock looks like birch, not beech. Some people stain birch to try to make it look like walnut. It is hard to do that because the grain pattern of birch is quite different from walnut, and birch takes stain unevenly. Some succeed better than others. I think it is better to let birch look like birch. It is a dense and stable wood that is excellent for stocks. Ask the Finns.

M39cropped.JPG

If someone prefers the look of walnut - and a lot of people do - just get a walnut stock and handguards. They are plentiful and reasonably priced, both new and used. I think your stock looks nice just the way it is.

Several years ago I got a Winchester M1 Rifle from the CMP and it came with a new birch stock that had a mediocre walnut stain.

5f22ce22.jpg

I stripped and bleached the wood, corrected the shape, and dyed it to a more birch-like color. All of my other M1 Rifles have USGI walnut wood so my birch-stocked Winchester stands out.

cada847d.jpg
da16c7c0.jpg

Did you get the M1 Rifle from Milton Hoch at the Oregon Arms Collector show? He's a stand-up guy and Garand guru. He has helped me a lot in the past. Welcome to the M1 club!

Well, I didn't see your thread until this morning. I noticed it right off the bat. If I had seen your thread before today I would have posted earlier.

That's a relief about the barrel. When I saw you said Remington I was concerned. People have been known to take a Remington 03A3 barrel and join it to the breech end of a Garand barrel to make a Frankenbarrel. When you said Remington I thought you had one of those.

I'm a Garand neophyte so don't know all that much about them.

By the way, your stock looks like birch, not beech. Some people stain birch to try to make it look like walnut. It is hard to do that because the grain pattern of birch is quite different from walnut, and birch takes stain unevenly. Some succeed better than others. I think it is better to let birch look like birch. It is a dense and stable wood that is excellent for stocks. Ask the Finns.

Glad to hear birch is a good stock. I think the birch tree in my front yard sucks though.

View attachment 611966

If someone prefers the look of walnut - and a lot of people do - just get a walnut stock and handguards. They are plentiful and reasonably priced, both new and used. I think your stock looks nice just the way it is.

Being a custom build I am good with the stock color. It's got it's own personality!

Several years ago I got a Winchester M1 Rifle from the CMP and it came with a new birch stock that had a mediocre walnut stain.

I'd go with the wood I've got. Seems a shame to try to make a nice birch look like walnut when walnut is available?

View attachment 611969

I stripped and bleached the wood, corrected the shape, and dyed it to a more birch-like color. All of my other M1 Rifles have USGI walnut wood so my birch-stocked Winchester stands out.

View attachment 611970
View attachment 611971

That's a beaut!

Did you get the M1 Rifle from Milton Hoch at the Oregon Arms Collector show? He's a stand-up guy and Garand guru. He has helped me a lot in the past. Welcome to the M1 club!

Yes. I tend to be a pretty good judge of character. I've stood in his shop and got some very good insight to the work he does, so when I told him what my intentions were he told me what he needed for this rifle and I snapped it up.

Appreciate your input. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads