JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FACTCHECK takes on Obwan's claim that 40% of guns are purchased with no background check.

They ended up calling it FALSE and came up with a 14 to 22%. I still think that's high but still much better. The White House refused to comment. Gee, I wonder why!!!!!!

I tried to find a link to it on The Oregonians site but there isn't anything there.

Deen
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member & Recruiter
Washington Arms Collectors Member
SouthWest Washington Arms Collectors Member
Second Amendment Foundation Member

Yes. I was quite happy to see this! It's actually not bad, but remember that the 10-20% left over is NOT all criminal activity. One more Bloomberg lie down.
Here's another good one by the Washington post

I think another good tactic is to start tying Bloomberg and Obama together. Fellow crusaders.... against 16-oz sodas and your rights.

The big B is starting to get even on extreme liberals nerves now.

Thanks for the link, I went back to the paper and what you linked to is exactly what they published and a note that it came from The Washington Post.

Deen

There is no way to put a number on private sales since they are private. Any number that they come up with is just a wild guess.

exactly, and I've said this all along. there's NO way to calculate the amount of private sales, thefts, sales of stolen guns between criminals, etc.

FACTCHECK takes on Obwan's claim that 40% of guns are purchased with no background check.

They ended up calling it FALSE and came up with a 14 to 22%. I still think that's high but still much better. The White House refused to comment. Gee, I wonder why!!!!!!

I tried to find a link to it on The Oregonians site but there isn't anything there.

Deen

+1

I keep seeing/hearing this - when I looked it up, turns out it's from a (very) small phone survey of about 250 firearm owners done back in 1992-3 BEFORE the Brady Law Background Check was in place. So it's hugely misleading. For the pres. to quote it is, well - let's just say dishonest...

I think this report is telling too,
Firearm Use by Offenders: 1997 Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities

Which is really more to the point, where do the bad guys get their guns. It is not through legal purchases. You do not hear them talk about these statistics.

I read this report. One item that I found interesting is Table 5 on Page 4, regarding educational attainment. The greatest percentage of the criminals had achieved a GED. The GED group exceeded the percentage of the next highest group by more than the average exceeded the percentage of the lowest (college graduates) group.

According to this survey, those who receive GED's are more likely to be incarcerated for a crime than any other educational group, including high school (or even grade school) dropouts!

Not a good statistic for GED program supporters.

All told, this survey confirms what most of us gun owners believe about the sourcing of guns by criminals. It also shows that the Brady law and similar restrictions do not keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals.

If the survey were to be repeated today, it is possible that there would be a higher percentage of "military-style" rifles reported, simply because the popularity of the AR-15 platform would increase the liklihood that one would be used in a crime instead of another type of rifle.

I also suspect that a newer survey would show that even fewer of the criminals guns would come from dealers, flea markets, or gun shows.

I bet you we can come up with a more accurate estimate, if we are willing to declare how many firearms we own v. how many were purchased privately. If there was a way to create a poll while keeping the numbers private...

In my case, 14% I obtained thru private sales, but that does not include AK kits I built into firearms using bend flats receivers. With those, then, it would be 27%.

Well isn't this interesting. Usually if FactCheck is used to support an opinion that isn't lock-step with conservative dogma FactCheck is considered part of a liberal lie conspiracy. However, since this FactCheck info is more in line with conservative views it is an acceptable source.

When Obama speaks, its lies. Their polls you can never trust. Good that factcheck is out there.
I'm really surprised that they came up opposing the lies, usually they follow the liberal dogma!

Deen

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR