JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see up at the top you have some neat little links. Thats good. But I think you should post a very important one. www.stolenweapon.com He will do the same for you. It allows joe blow to look and see if a gun has been reported stolen before he makes that FTF deal or you can list your gun stolen if you are that unlucky. I got it cross linked at seattle guns.
stolenguns.gif

I see up at the top you have some neat little links. Thats good. But I think you should post a very important one. www.stolenweapon.com He will do the same for you. It allows joe blow to look and see if a gun has been reported stolen before he makes that FTF deal or you can list your gun stolen if you are that unlucky. I got it cross linked at seattle guns.
stolenguns.gif

+1

Probably wouldn't hurt to become a supporting member/vendor too. I'm sure those guys paid something to have those cool little links up there.

Last Edited:
Hi, In Oregon we can call the OSP, even joe blow, and check for stolen guns. I think there is a thread here about how to do that. I've never seen that site, how do they cross reference and is there a fee?

Hi, In Oregon we can call the OSP, even joe blow, and check for stolen guns. I think there is a thread here about how to do that. I've never seen that site, how do they cross reference and is there a fee?

Yes everyone can call their local police to run a gun. But this site works real well and once or twice I have been told by the local PD that they are too busy.
And there is no "fee" at stolen weapon ;;;just sign up like this site.. in fact it is kinda cool to keep tabs on what was stolen and where.

I tried looking up common types of guns on that website, and usually found no results.

I don't know if it's because there's just not that many people who have registered their stolen guns there yet, or if there's just not that many stolen guns to begin with, but as it stands, I think you're better off just calling the cops and checking with them instead.

^^^^
+1

I just tried to do a quick search.. I typed in "portland" and it popped up a single listing for a gun stolen in 1998...

I tried to search by serial, but it is making me sign up to the site...

Good concept, but not too user friendly or quick...

Of course you have to sign up. That way if you run a serial number. The person who has registered his or her stolen gun, gets notified that a search was just done on that particular gun. Like if you list your Colt Walker that was just stolen, and 3 weeks later it's for sale in Montana and the buyer looks up the serial number. You get an email as to who just looked it up and from where. And the person who just looked it up gets the "stolen" report, the place it was stolen, the police report number (if you did one) and the police contact info along with yours. You expect to accomplish anything just searching for ".22 rifle"? Without serial numbers? Maybe the factory made more than one?

It's just one resource. You would think you would want the info out there in as many places possible.

You get an email as to who just looked it up and from where. And the person who just looked it up gets the "stolen" report, the place it was stolen, the police report number (if you did one) and the police contact info along with yours.

Wow - <sarcasm>lots of incentive for a potential buyer to register</sarcasm>

Scenario: I'm about to make a FTF purchase, complete with bill of sale, vital contact info etc. I physically inspect the gun, happen to memorize or note the serial number, but decide to pass on the offer. A while later I get a hunch something was shady, and look up the weapon I viewed. By the act of inquiring - are you saying I should expect a visit from the cops?

I am all for a "tip line" for leads into stolen guns or any property, but make that explicitly clear, else you'll ruffle some feathers for sure.

Wow - <sarcasm>lots of incentive for a potential buyer to register</sarcasm>

Scenario: I'm about to make a FTF purchase, complete with bill of sale, vital contact info etc. I physically inspect the gun, happen to memorize or note the serial number, but decide to pass on the offer. A while later I get a hunch something was shady, and look up the weapon I viewed. By the act of inquiring - are you saying I should expect a visit from the cops?

I am all for a "tip line" for leads into stolen guns or any property, but make that explicitly clear, else you'll ruffle some feathers for sure.

It's not my site. Maybe you children should go see how it works for yourself. I was just trying to help. No cops are going to show up, what you do with the info on a stolen gun is your business. I would hope that the majority of you would do the right thing. Some of you obviously not. It's just a site to aid in a recovery. And you have no idea what sarcasm is, because there wasn't any.

Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name associated with any gun identification process.

Scenario: I check my current serial numbers against the database and it says they are all clear. BUT, now they have a record of the weapons that I own or inquired about.

Not sure if I like that.

Call me paranoid and I just repeated somebody else

Let me preface my post by stating that this is my opinion and not that of NWFA nor will it have any effect on if a link is placed here, that is Joey Links choice, that said:

As soon as I went to the site and saw I needed to sign up it was a no go for me personally.

Call me paranoid, but I don't want my name associated with any gun identification process.

Scenario: I check my current serial numbers against the database and it says they are all clear. BUT, now they have a record of the weapons that I own or inquired about.

Not sure if I like that.

Call me paranoid and I just repeated somebody else

Wrong. Maybe you guys need to just call your precious Oregon police. When they tell you a gun you just checked is stolen...and do a reverse phone number on you, you can tell them you were just kidding. Man what a bunch of idiots.

Maybe you children should go see how it works for yourself. I was just trying to help. No cops are going to show up, what you do with the info on a stolen gun is your business. I would hope that the majority of you would do the right thing. Some of you obviously not. It's just a site to aid in a recovery. And you have no idea what sarcasm is, because there wasn't any.

Wrong. Maybe you guys need to just call your precious Oregon police. When they tell you a gun you just checked is stolen...and do a reverse phone number on you, you can tell them you were just kidding. Man what a bunch of idiots.

But I know most of you are just kids. Otherwise you would not be good at the interweb. So do what you must. [/IMG]

I haven't been here long myself, but I get the sense that you aren't as respectful as you should be.

There are a lot of good, smart people on here (based on lots and lots of lurking..). No need to insult anyone..

That being said, www.stolenweapon.com is an interesting idea. But it still needs some work. No need to get irate over a site that isn't yours...

What's up with calling people idiots here come On, back off take a breath relax wow! Or go somewhere else if you really feel that way, SOM....

We can agree to disagree, that doesn't make anyone an idiot! If you are representing that website your sales pitch could use some adjustment! You don't sell something by telling the intended client up yours when he doesn't agree with you as you are soon shown the door. :huh:

We can agree to disagree, that doesn't make anyone an idiot! If you are representing that website your sales pitch could use some adjustment! You don't sell something by telling the intended client up yours when he doesn't agree with you as you are soon shown the door. :huh:

Nicely said,
I particularly like the "you are soon shown the door" message .....:s0155:

At the time I had my rifle stolen I simply wanted a way to communicate that info the best way possible, hanging fliers on telephone poles and ads in the paper aren't real effective. Although I did both for a little while. Anyway, the site is just a way of communicating some information between gunowners.............nothing more. We have ZERO interest in keeping records of what you have at your house. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask and thanks j3hill for posting us. Yes we will link any progun site but we understand everyones reservations. It's simply a better place to let people know my gun is hot as well as any of our members who have posted theirs.

Best Regards
Aaron Crowder
Founder StolenWeapon.com

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR