JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I should've known better... just knocked this over while working on another rifle... and this happened...

I'll be sending the lower back to TA And telling them to keep it.

CEFB0DA4-CAC7-4452-9747-E9732383BCFD.jpeg

The rifle was designed to have aluminum alloy receivers.
AR alloy receivers are inexpensive.
There is no upside to a polymer AR receiver.
However, hobbiests will continue to tinker with them.

Dang, that sucks.

Though for the price... I'm still wanting to pick up one of them for a future .22lr build.

I have a few that I got for I think $35 each. They all run fine. I don't know that I've dropped one, but I must have by now. I don't plan to use them for self defense, but they were fun to build and are fun to shoot. Nice to have an AR for everybody if you bring a bunch of people to the range.

For the right price I'd grab one to have fun with an ultralight build. Just because.

But yeah, the buffer tube threads will always be the weak spot.

Let's buy a $80 piece of plastic instead of a $100 piece of aluminum
The second Polymer80 rcvr kit I bought was on sale for $30. It's a fun project vs buying a completed rcvr for $100. Still, if I had known about the aluminum jigs, I would have bought that instead.

One mistake I made was using the drill bits that came with the kit to drill out the pin holes.... too big/loose (just like my ex). I bought some anti-walk pins and then put Loctite on the screws of the pins...... melted the entire polymer rcvr..... no use Loctite. Sheesh. Polyme80 disclaimed responsibility for not having an adequate warning, but they sent me a new kit anyway.

Botched my last kit by not having the depth set right for the bottom of the rcvr trigger area, then went back and tried to freehand it..... the chatter grabbed/pulled the bore bit off to the side. Dumbazz!!!

Last Edited:
The second Polymer80 rcvr kit I bought was on sale for $30. It's a fun project vs buying a completed rcvr for $100. Still, if I had known about the aluminum jigs, I would have bought that instead.

One mistake I made was using the drill bits that came with the kit to drill out the pin holes.... too big/loose (just like my ex). I bought some anti-walk pins and then put Loctite on the screws of the pins...... melted the entire polymer rcvr..... no use Loctite. Sheesh. Polyme80 disclaimed responsibility for not having an adequate warning, but they sent me a new kit anyway.

Botched my last kit by not having the depth set right for the bottom of the rcvr trigger area, then went back and tried to freehand it..... the chatter grabbed/pulled the bore bit off to the side. Dumbazz!!!
The best way to learn is by trial n error, If all else fails THEN read the damn instructions... :s0125:

:s0140::s0140::s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top