JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
commemorative guns are much harder to sell.
Typically this is true - especially if one is asking considerably more than what the 'standard' version of the gun would sell for.
I have two commemorative Winchesters - but paid essentially for each what would have been slightly above 'average' price for a decent, post '64.

I appreciate all the opinions and insight, especially the ones who I lean with. So true about the value and beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I will digest them all and lean towards having fun with it. Thanks.

Gun values are tricky at best.
There is the :
"Book value"...
"Dealer value"...
Internet seller's value...
What it will actually sell for value...

Also what a gun is worth in one part of the country , at a given time , may not be the same in a different part of the country , at the same time...

In my experience a "commemorative" firearm is a tough sell , even when the seller has the box and paperwork with the gun...as you need to not only find a buyer who likes the gun , but also a buyer who likes what the gun "commemorates".

If the pistol in the OP were mine...I'd shoot it ...but that is just me.
Andy
Ha ha yep .
There is a Berreta 92 commemorative military .
Pistol at Skagit arms in a box and everything .
Every time I go in there they are trying to show it to someone or what ever.
It's been there a long time.lol

A few years ago a local pawn shop had a City of Los Angeles 200th Anniversary (1781-1981) LAPD Commemorative Smith & Wesson Model 19-4 for sale.
Originally they had it for $899 and it sat about a year.
Well, because I was wanting a 6" mod 19 (but not necessarily a commemorative)I finally offered $650 for it which was about top dollar for this gun in a standard configuration. I attempted to explain to them the reality of commemoratives but they wouldn't budge.
Well as it was a nice 19, and in a fitted wooden box with two sets of grips I upped my offer to $700 and still o dice.
A few months later I saw it was gone and was told the original owner who had it on consignment came and picked it up.

OK!!!!!! :)

Here is one, I had a .32acp Beretta that was either chromed or nickle plated, not sure, but it was a very good shooter. I sold it when I realized that George Wallace was shot 5 times and survived. Of course, that was probably ball ammo, and now there is JHP +P

58475857_1_x.jpg

That's nice. Shoot it or preserve it but don't sell it. It came from your dad... that makes it special!

I don't know man, I could use a scuba diving monkey.

I'd rather have a trunk monkey!

It sounds like the gun does not have any particular connection with you and your father.
IF that is the case then moving it along for something else might be the best thing.
I bought a couple of S&Ws from a friend of mine who lost his father a couple years ago and inherited all his guns. While he did have a connection with his father and some of them he did not with the 'Smiths and sold them to me for something he DID want - his first 1911!
View attachment 581364

That 66 looks just like my buddy Pat's gun that he inherited from his dad who passed a couple of years ago and was looking to move it. He lives in Elgin. I was heavily considering it...

Never mind. Found a pic I took of it and it has the upgraded grips...

XhDKooEsSj-3qQ_fBoN8qg.jpg

That 66 looks just like my buddy Pat's gun
Yep - only difference is your buddy's is a dash 1 or later as it has the blued rear sight and the red inset front.
Mine is a no-dash with the SS rear sight which was dropped with the dash 1. The SS rear was difficult to use as it reflected light and glared.
I have since found a blued one to install on my 66 - MAJOR improvement!

You will get tons of opinions on this, here's mine.

If it's unfired, there is more of a desire to keep it that way. I have a few guns from the 70s and 80s that were purchased by my father in law and never shot. The collectible ones are still unfired and will stay that way.

If yours is already fired, no reason not to put a few rounds through it from time to time. Doesn't seem like all that fun of a gun to shoot anyway so you probably won't be putting cases of ammo through it.

MrElectric03,
My dad used to use it once a year. When he gave it to me he still had 100 rounds that I have used 50 of, testing it and seeing how it functions. It's very clean inside and I've also cleaned it myself. It has no signs of stress or abuse. It's a nice piece and I will probably let my 12 year old try it at the range. So, it gets very little use. After all the research and videos I've watched, I've concluded that it's not a super valuable gun. I'll keep it and probably buy my wife an LCP380 and save for my AR15.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top