JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The price of ammo has just gone nuts. While I will not ask crazy prices I see what people are paying for stuff and it makes me think of selling some. I am just trying to decide if it is worth it or not.

For example say I have a spare 10 boxes of .22 that I paid $15 for last year. Even at double my money for $30/box that is not really worth my effort to sell dealing with shipping it or meeting up as my "profit" is $150. The of course I will have to buy more at some point and even if it gets back down to $20/box then really I only made $100 that took quite a bit of effort.

Now I see on GB people selling them for at least $50/box. This means even if I had to replace it at $25/box I would have $250 in my pocket. That is starting to seem worth it. IF I decide to sell it will be on GB with a true $1 start with NR. I can not ask a person for $50+/box but if that is what THEY choose to pay for it that is on them. I can't believe the guy that said he paid $740 for a case of .22.

So I guess the question comes down to what % of ammo would you sell in this case? 10%, 25%, 50%?

This would not just be .22 but seems to be the biggest seller right now.

So the question is will you need that ammo before this availability problem goes away?
I don't have a crystal ball so I don't know when you will be able to roll up to wallys world and get 22lr again,so I would never sell it.
As your dollars go down,the ammo you have must become more valuable,no?
Replacement cost will cut into whatever profit you may make on it right now,IMHO. Plus you are a shooter,so it's not like it will ever go to waste.

Story time
I bought a 10 22 at a ridiculous price,because it was old and smelled of cigarettes,BAD. $100.
And I had about (well still have) 5 Ruger 25 round mags and close to 5k 22lr rounds.
I thought I would go make some change at the local gun show. The 10 22,a brick of ammo,a 10 round and a 25 round mag for $400. I was told that was a $600 package btw.
I couldn't take it out of my truck. I though I couldn't afford to sell 1000 rounds of 22lr,I'd NEVER get that deal on the rifle or the 25 round mag again.

All 4 items are still safely (get it?) tucked away in my safe.

As soon as you sell it you will wish you hadn't

For what it's worth, I bought a lot of extra .22 a couple of years back. I had a friend that was looking for ammo for his new .22, and paid $50(!) for 500rnds. Yeow. I felt bad for him, and sold him a second brick for what I paid for it, ~$20.

Make find a friend in need, and help'em out. Or, make a new friend. :)

UD

Both good points.

The only reason I am considering selling is the prices people seem willing to pay.

I have helped out people I know. My neighbor just came by the other day and was showing off a new rifle. Had less then 100rds of .308 for it but is reloading. I gave him a box of mixed headstamped brass that probably had about 250 rds in it.

For what it's worth, I bought a lot of extra .22 a couple of years back. I had a friend that was looking for ammo for his new .22, and paid $50(!) for 500rnds. Yeow. I felt bad for him, and sold him a second brick for what I paid for it, ~$20.

Make find a friend in need, and help'em out. Or, make a new friend. :)

UD

Want to make another new friend, lol? I bought my first 2 .22 rifles this month (Henry Survival and 10/22), and some mags for the Ruger. One of the sellers gave me a handful of ammo with the mags, but 35 rounds wont last long! Man, I picked a bad time to get into guns, bought my first one in November right after the election, and then The Craziness hit.

I've read more than a few posts where the writer regretted selling a gun, but I've never read even 1 post where the writer regretted keeping a gun. For me, the same goes for ammo. I bought what I bought because the price was reasonable and I intend to use it. A gun without ammo is just a bad club.

I have purchased the bulk of my collection in the last few years. I do not intend to get rid of any one of them, not even 1 of my 3 Mosins. I know I would regret it later.

As for my ammo, like my wife keeps telling me, we can never have too much. (Yeah, she's a keeper).

As an aside, I just found some 380 and .223 ammo at Bi-Mart. Bought 2 boxes of .223, and one of 380. Those will be added to my stock, they won't be for resale.

Being an old guy and having gone through the 1968 gun law changes and the wonderful Clinton years, I decided to just "pick up" ammo and guns along the way that caught my interest. My Sons have already split my guns up between them. Guess they plan on me going somewhere soon. Now I'm in a position that when a friend's son-in-law finally found and could afford an AR, but no mags I could comfotably hand him a 1/2 dozen. Done the same for a few buddies who just didn't have ammo to shoot. If they insist on paying, the cost is my original. Friends don't screw friends. It'll all come back to you in time if you help someone out. (I sorta believe that most times anyway.)

I would not sell any of my ammo for a quick buck. You never know what tomorrow might bring and it is better to have extra ammo than a few extra bucks. IMHO.

kumabear17, I am an old guy also. I have stocked up over the years. We have a large group camping trip coming up where we shoot. A few others like me have plenty ammo, some others may not. We will help them out and sell them some at friends prices. Or, I could trade ammo for beer and scotch with them. Even better!

So you get yourself $250.00 free and clear in your pocket? How long before those bucks are just...GONE. If your household is anything like mine it would take about a week and a half. You know car fuel, cable bill, electric etc. If you DON'T sell, in all likelihood you're going to STILL have a bunch of ammo, sitting peacefully in storage. Now if you could wrangle an extra GRAND out of it, you could buy a fine new firearm for yourself.

I'm just not understanding how folks could sell their ammo stash for a few extra (over MSRP) bucks?
:s0159:

Mike

+1 to PDXSparky. I regret every gun I ever got rid of. IIRC, the last time was the mid-80s and I needed the $ for something stupid like rent. I figure I will hang on to any ammo I may or may not have in case the need for serious social work occurs before the current situation abates. I can practice my rifle technique with my air rifle. After all, shooting fast with a semi-auto is just doing the same things you do to fire one well-aimed shot, only faster. It doesn't do any good to shoot faster than you can aim anyhow. Keep what you have unless you need the $ to buy gruel for the baby.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top