JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just acquired a hand me down colt combat commander which I think needs to be brought back to life...deciding to either have it blackchromed, sand blasted (but thinking it might affect its value) or just live it as is... opinions anyone?

link to photos:

Thanks in advance....

a satin bead blasted finish is pretty cool, use fine, or well used glass beads. Personally I would polish the flat sides of the slide and frame to about a 400 grit, to restore a factory look to it.

Not to get off topic, but I was considering hard chroming my hk usp, but I aged looking up black Chrome I think it would stand out amount the rest thanks for posting the thread would never had know it were possible

I sent my Commander up to Mike @ NW Gun Refinishing.
He did an amazing two color job on mine.
The pistol was dropped, and it cracked the frame between the main spring housing and the magazine well.
The previous owner had it Tig welded and the repair ruined the anodizing on the aluminum frame.
I should have had the feed ramp and ejection port worked done before I sent it up to Mike for the Cerakoting, because it's a little fussy with some ammo.

colt commander 001.jpg

That looks like an easy fix. Start by sanding out any dings or imperfections. Then use a garnet mix to blast down the entire gun. Then you can either brush the flats or take a 80 grit glass bead to the entire gun for that silky look.

Not to get off topic, but I was considering hard chroming my hk usp, but I aged looking up black Chrome I think it would stand out amount the rest thanks for posting the thread would never had know it were possible

Hard chrome is the hardest most durable gun finish there is. If it is tough enough for bearing surfaces of turbines it is plenty tough for guns. BTW when the heck did it become fashionable to paint your guns?

Have now finished my little project...its not fantastic or anything but I think its better than before...here is the result.

before:

After:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and inputs!

That looks real nice! What did your end up doing to it?

Thanks. Well, just had it glass beadblasted to retain the deepness of the markings and etchings. Also had the hammer,gripsafety and slidestop emphasized by having it chromed. I didnt replace anything so it wouldnt lose its "coltness"....

misconceptions abound here-

Hard chrome is not a series of platimgs, it bonds on a molecular level directly with the steel.

If the underlying metal is plated AFTER it is bead blasted it will retain the blasted look and actually bonds the plating better, more surface area and a better "key" for the plating. I have seen hard chromed guns after 10,000 rounds of competition show no appreciable wear at all.

As far as rust, stainless steel will rust. I have never seen any corrosion on hard chrome.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top