JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its like an old pickup truck you can restore it and make it modern or leave it and enjoy its history. I have a 67 F250 pretty much like the day it rolled off with 50 years of character on it. Once its touched the value drops allot on most items.

Another vote for repair but not refinish. I like honest original wear (although as has been mentioned by others, that doesn't look like wear). The "value" IMO is more in being mechanically and historically interesting which a reblue won't enhance. Although in this case, since all original finish seems to have been already removed, it might not hurt either.

What is the nature of the spring you think it needs? If it's a coil spring, you may be able to get something close enough to function from one of the industrial spring suppliers like Century Spring. If it's some kind of complex leaf spring, you may have to either make it or get struck with good luck and find one.

Interesting piece. I suspect it's functioning would vary subject to things that change friction between the bullet and barrel. Looks to me like the normal things that affect a pistol cycling like bullet mass and gas pressure wouldn't really be at play here, just friction dragging the barrel along with the bullet.

Well the fact it is polished irritates me slightly, but at least it gives me some direction.

There is no provenance on the pistol that I am aware of - it is one of the models with no exterior serialization. According to the Unblinking Eye article, that type is less common (I can't justify usage of the term "rare" here). There were some extremely rare models made that were polished and / or chromed (stainless maybe?) mentioned in that article but I do not believe my pistol meets that criteria.

Another vote for repair but not refinish. I like honest original wear (although as has been mentioned by others, that doesn't look like wear). The "value" IMO is more in being mechanically and historically interesting which a reblue won't enhance. Although in this case, since all original finish seems to have been already removed, it might not hurt either.

I agree with this statement. I feel like since the finish was removed, restoring it wouldn't be as much of an issue now as long as it is performed by a reputable restoration shop / person. That said, my primary concern now is definitely achieving a mechanically sound condition.

What is the nature of the spring you think it needs? If it's a coil spring, you may be able to get something close enough to function from one of the industrial spring suppliers like Century Spring. If it's some kind of complex leaf spring, you may have to either make it or get struck with good luck and find one.

I believe what I'm looking for is the flat / leaf spring that resides in the grip that provides tension for the grip safety, hammer and heel mag release. I might be breaking out the spring steel... Might start with a firing pin / hammer first if I can find it (I'm not optimistic).

Interesting piece. I suspect it's functioning would vary subject to things that change friction between the bullet and barrel. Looks to me like the normal things that affect a pistol cycling like bullet mass and gas pressure wouldn't really be at play here, just friction dragging the barrel along with the bullet.

I believe that is also correct but I am far from an expert. I do hear / read they are extremely picky about what they like to shoot - I haven't been able to prove or disprove that yet.

By definition, it's supposed to be black right? (German joke)
Normally I'd say repair but it does look polished to me. I'd check to see if this ever happened at the factory and if not, reblue like the factory method.
Looks good and a shooter. I'd love to feel what it's like.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top