JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

To Refinish or not to Refinish?

• High Bright Blue Finish

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Matte or Brushed Stainless Finish

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • High Polish Stainless Finish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ve it alone!

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Reactions
I have a Smith and Wesson Model 19-4 that just runs like a clock. I mean it is mechanically perfect.

I am more accurate with its 2.5" barrel than with my Security Six's 4" barrel.
But the finish is in shameful condition; don't blame me, I bought it that way.

I have been toying with the idea of sending it to Smith & Wesson for a refinish. I know that refinishing can lower the value; however collectors tend to be lenient/forgiving if it was done by the manufacturer, but I never intend to part with this gun anyways.

Also since I plan on keeping it, I can't decide to have the high bright blue it originally had restored or a matte or brushed stainless finish applied.

Furthermore, would any of these options weaken the metal?

For example, I was worried that in order to make the weapon stainless they would have to remove metal, thereby weakening the frame. Am I being overly cautious or is this a potential problem?

Sorry, about the barrage of questions
But I honestly can't decide what to do

P.S. For some reason the camera actually made the gun's finish look better than it is.

This one shows it better:

BTW, that was supposed to be leave it alone in the poll, don't know what happened

It's a gun you love and it's a gun you want to keep. Value is irrelevant if you never intend on parting with it.

Having it returned to it's original "splendor" by the manufacturer is not going to hurt it. It'll look awsome. I would not change anything except returning it to the original look. Messing with it won't help.

Ide leave it alone. Some of my favorite looking guns are all worn looking. My carry Glock is starting to get holster wear, but it makes me feel like it has a purpouse. If its rusty or pitted ide refinish it like the original.

It is a good working example of a great gun. I say have it refinished to original blue and then it works and its beautiful. Will hurt collectors value as mentioned but if you keep it, you have to look at it. Imagine it looking brand new.Wow
rhtwist

I have re-finished at least half a dozen Smith and Wessons. Without exception every one that I have finished for people with anything other than the factory hi-polish blue, they have asked me to re-do it to the factory polish.
Sending the gun back to S&W is the easiest way to accomplish this. If the gun has had rust, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Taking off rust mean that there are probably spots of bare metal, so a good refinish is probably in order...

Agreed.

Since it's yours and you are intending to keep it, refinish it to your preference.

If it has high collector appeal, then leave it as is (unless it's just plain negligence) or refinish to factory original.

If you were planning on selling it, restoring it to the factory finish would be my choice, as I would personally offer more money for a firearm in good condition vs poor condition.

Leave it alone, personally I like the look of a warn gun. It gives it character and shows that it was actually used, not just a museum piece. I have a 20 year old Glock and just like the personality of wear. Now if its a high end premium match grade gun, then its a different story. With the money your going to spend shipping and having it refinished, I would rather just put that money towards something else. Good luck.

Again, I repeat. No one I have ever refinished a S&W in a matte finish has ever kept that finish once they saw it in person. It sounds good in theory. Once it gets in their hand, it has, at least for all my customers, failed to meet their expectations (the look, not the work).

Its your gun, so you can do whatever floats your rabbit. I'm not saying that no one would like a matte revolver (obviously a few guys are advocating it). I'm just trying to pass on a good bit of experience I've had on the issue.

Again, I repeat. No one I have ever refinished a S&W in a matte finish has ever kept that finish once they saw it in person. It sounds good in theory. Once it gets in their hand, it has, at least for all my customers, failed to meet their expectations (the look, not the work).

Its your gun, so you can do whatever floats your rabbit. I'm not saying that no one would like a matte revolver (obviously a few guys are advocating it). I'm just trying to pass on a good bit of experience I've had on the issue.

Good point, Bear. I like matte finish and would have done my old Taurus 85 in it had I known how to 5 years ago.

I recommend that the OP use his Google-Fu and find some refinishing outfits with pics of wheel guns and see what he likes. :s0155:

What would be wrong with a copper plate,nickel and black chrome finish that would give it that Onyx like finish..
I love history and tradition to a point but everything falls towards disorder and we are either an organizing reorganizing force,destructive force or the ignoring force so I have no problem with refinishing a gun, I personally hate it when someone doesn't shoot a gun that is what they were made for and you live but one life on this world anyway ..
use it but don't abuse it ....enjoy life before you lose it LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top