Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

To kote...or not to kote

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by No_Regerts, Feb 3, 2016.

1. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

I have had the same Kimber Stainless TLEII for 11 years. I have carried it a lot. Ive added an extended mag well and VZ grips, but its otherwise stock. I've always prefered blued finishes over blasted stainless but I bought this gun for utility. Oddly enough, the bead blasting shows no appreciable wear. Should I have it koted matte black or leave it as is? This gun has no rattle to it, leaving me to believe its pretty tight. Will koting it require the slide to be refitted to the frame? I've done rifles but none have tolerances this tight.

2. Gun Mechanic

Gun Mechanic Portland Active Member

Kote it! I have a Kimber Pro Carry HD and I'm in the same boat. I don't like the look of stainless and want it all black. I think they can run a thin coat on the rails. I'd ask first. If you end up coating it. Let me know. I'd like to see how it turns out and how durable it is. I've been thinking about getting mine coated in black Melnoite.

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Cera-Coat is über thin and actually penetrates the substrate of the surface it's applied to, and is über-über durable.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Ahh my eyes are bleeding!!!!!

Personally, I can't think of a single reason to put any finish on a stainless steel gun - but I like stainless guns.

Now my blued guns that are showing some wear on the finish are on the list to get recolored someday.

To each their own tho - the advice to call around and ask who you'll have doing the work about possible issues or not is what I would recommend.

joken and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto with Joe, but I'm not one who cares about the color of handguns. I guess I'm cheap, I wouldn't spend a nickel on cosmetics for a carry gun! :) To each his own though.

6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Another vote for not to kote. But I'll qualify that I too like stainless guns. That said, I think there are times to refinish, but I would say that's only when the original finish is really shot.

Do you ever plan to sell it? If so, I'd also say leave it alone.

If you plan to keep it, then do as you please. And if you do get it coated, please post some nice before and after photos, with some close up detail if possible - that way other folks will get a chance to see how it looks, and it may help them decide too.

7. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Im gonna shop around and see what is out there and get some references before I make up my mind. Thanks for the advice guys.