JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you prefer left handed bolt action over right handed? What about Stag Arms left handed AR-15s?

For me, the only right handed bolt action that bugs me would be the strait bolt Mosin-Nagant. Man, that thing is a pain.

I'm a rightie but left eye dominant so I shoot long guns leftie. I prefer right handed bolt action over left simply because that's what I grew up with shooting and learned on. There's a larger customer base for resale of right handed rifles, both bolt and semi, so keep that in mind as well.

If you're left handed or left eye dominant, it makes sense ergonomically to get a left handed bolt gun. With an AR-15, getting a left handed upper is sort of pointless. A standard AR can easily be manipulated by a left handed or left eye dominant shooter. The one thing that would be nice for a leftie to add to a regular AR is an ambidextrous safety. A leftie can get by without it but it is a nice comfort item that makes life easier for left handed manipulation of the firearm.

When dealing with a bolt action I prefer a left handed bolt. When shooting semi I really don't care but I am actually looking at getting a Stag Arms AR-15.

Usually getting brass in the face doesn't bother me but I imagine when shooting the AR-15 it might become a nuisance. My philosophy is shooting should be fun and part of that is being comfortable. So if you can shoot the right handed bolt just fine then great. I say shoot whatever whatever feels best to you.

I prefer a left hand bolt even though I learned on a right hand one.

I don't like ARs, but I could see the appeal of having one eject to the left. About the only thing that appeals to me about the AR is its modularity and widespread parts availability. Seems like some of that is lost with a lefty upper. Oddly, a lot of the ergonomics some righties hate about the AK work much better for a southpaw.

I really like both Mossberg and Ithaca shotguns. Both are pretty lefty friendly.

If you're left handed or left eye dominant, it makes sense ergonomically to get a left handed bolt gun. With an AR-15, getting a left handed upper is sort of pointless. A standard AR can easily be manipulated by a left handed or left eye dominant shooter. The one thing that would be nice for a leftie to add to a regular AR is an ambidextrous safety. A leftie can get by without it but it is a nice comfort item that makes life easier for left handed manipulation of the firearm.

This......................

I don't understand the lack of enthusiasm for a lefty AR. The two lefties I know who shoot a lot both complain bitterly about the AR spitting brass in front of their faces. Add to that the right-side mag release and left hand safety and it seems a terrible gun for a lefty. A left-handed upper at the least would seem a godsend. -Just wondering.

left handed uppers are a breath of fresh air. Both literary and figuratively.
The ability to shoot without having your face pelted with gasses and particulates makes the switch to a left handed ar15 completely worth it.
The ar platform was designed for right handers, and there's good reasons that they designed it with the ejection port facing away from the shooters face.

I am right handed but because of my eyesight, I have to shoot rifles left handed.
My father who is left handed showed me the basics and I have been able to shoot the standard ar15 left handed with few real problems.

Having said that, my father now has a left handed ar15... and it's SO much nicer to shoot.
You can shoot a standard ar15, but if you can build or buy one that is suited to your needs, you will enjoy shooting it much more. In this day and age, there is no reason for a lefty to shoot a right handed ar15.

I would LOVE to have a left handed bolt gun, so I wouldn't have to do the reach over....and as far as a left handed AR....I have a circular scar on my check from basic training in 1974 (there were no "left handed firing devices" left for me to use that day. It would be great to have an AR without having that cycle right in front of my face...

I finally got a left handed Savage 25-06 and it's actually a little awkward after using right handed rifles all my life. The Stag my wife bought me for Christmas a couple years ago is greatest thing ever, no more brass in the face like I get from my SP1. Love the Colt but getting cuts from the case mouth on your cheekbone is annoying.

Do you prefer left handed bolt action over right handed? What about Stag Arms left handed AR-15s?

For me, the only right handed bolt action that bugs me would be the strait bolt Mosin-Nagant. Man, that thing is a pain.

as a lefty i actully prefer the mosin nagant straight bolt as i could reach it without having to drop the rifle down and switching hands to jack another shell into the chamber

I hate right handed bolts with a passion for hunting as follow up shots suck.

and i own and love my stag left handed rifle. And am looking forward to the Stag left handed .308 that will be coming out soon.

I am left handed, and have always used right handed bolt action. As well in the army, the right handed M4. The idea of the of a left handed bolt action would be weird. I've always had to drop the front of the rifle for the bolt. Using my trigger hand on the bolt... weird.

as a lefty i actully prefer the mosin nagant straight bolt as i could reach it without having to drop the rifle down and switching hands to jack another shell into the chamber

I hate right handed bolts with a passion for hunting as follow up shots suck.

and i own and love my stag left handed rifle. And am looking forward to the Stag left handed .308 that will be coming out soon.

Ya know, I didn't even think about that. While I complain about the Mosin strait bolt, I actually rarely use the bent. Still, I often have to drop the rear end of the Mosin, tilt the rifle up about 40 degrees and chamber.

I love my lefty bolt guns. I've never had a problem shooting my right handed AR and don't feel the need to start over with a right handed one when the one I've had for 15 years serves me well. However, if I didn't have an AR and was considering buying one, I would try one of the left handed ones because of the safety location (easily remedied on a RH one), the mag release and most especially to have gases venting on the side farthest from my face.

I'm a lefty who bought a right handed bolt gun and I absolutely hate it. It's a Winchester 300 WinMag and I will not shoot it again, period. I haven't shot a lefty bolt gun yet, but they are the only bolt gun I will ever consider again. As for the AR-15, I'm building my own in a right handed version with an ambi safety. I never had a real problem qualifying in the Marine Corps with the M-16, so my AR won't be a problem either. I thought about getting a lefty one, but If I ever want to get rid of it, it will be a lot harder. Also, I will not be getting the lefty bolt release or mag release either, I kind of like the rest of the right lay out.

I thought about getting a lefty one, but If I ever want to get rid of it, it will be a lot harder.

You should re-check that.
Left handed ar's sell like hotcakes.
The last one put up for sale on this forum was sold the same day. If I had been online an hour earlier, it would have been mine.

There is less of a demand for left handed ar's, but even less of a supply... especially used.
They hold a better supply/demand ratio than most any other firearm i've found.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top