JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I picked up a Marlin/Glenfield Model 25, mostly for my 10-year-old. I have to admit that part of it as about me, too. I had one when I was younger, and it's a great plinker that also shoots shorts if you want. It's a bolt-action, detachable magazine so it's a good platform for him to learn a typical hunting-type set up as well (he's interested in hunting).

The problem is that I've got more gun stock than I've got boy. I'm thinking about cutting the stock down, but there are a couple problems with that. When he grows older or if he loses interest, new replacement laminate stocks are about $100 and it seems a bit extreme to put a $100 stock on a $100 dollar gun. I haven't seen any used stocks around on the usual places. Plus, if I cut it down, the buttplate'll be useless, though I can probably throw on a cheap aftermarket pad or something.

I'm about 75% resigned to just cutting it down and replacing either the stock or getting another plinker for myself at a later date, but a small selfish part of me doesn't want to, I think because I have memories from years ago about this particular model.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

you could always cut it now and when he grows drill a couple holes and use dowels to piece it back together and then just refinish it so the seam dissapears

you could always cut it now and when he grows drill a couple holes and use dowels to piece it back together and then just refinish it so the seam dissapears

I've got to say I think that's a good idea.
When I was younger Dad was teaching me to shoot with my grandpa's Marlin 22. I complained that the butt was too long and wanted Dad to cut it down to fit me. I would have to hold the butt stock under my arm pit to sight through the scope. Dad wouldn't do it, insisting that I would grow into the gun and it would fit me just fine.
He was right. Within a few years I didn't have to do the under armpit hold, and a few more it fit me perfectly. I still have Grandpa's .22. Wouldn't trade it for the world and have grown to appreciate my Dad's thoughts on "growing into it".
But, to do a nice job on a "sectioning" of the butt stock would be a great way to go about things. You should consider that if this kid turns out like many of us, he will want to hang onto the first gun he shot for his entire life. To have it fit him as he grows older could be very important.

Try running some wanted ads for a used stock. You never know what may pop up on this site or others like Outdoorstrader or Armslist. You might luck out and find a complete donor gun for cheap. Make the memories now, they grow up to fast. Be careful and have fun.

I have an old shotgun I inherited that was manufactured in 1903, so I am not sure who all the cuts and splices were made for, but it has been cut and spliced at least 4 times over the years. If it is not an expensive gun, and a plain wooden stock, I would have no problems cutting it back, and then adding it back as your boy grows. (maybe even is smaller pieces.

Alternate: Laminate some wood, cut out the basic patern, and have your son carve his own stock.

I've got to say I think that's a good idea.
When I was younger Dad was teaching me to shoot with my grandpa's Marlin 22. I complained that the butt was too long and wanted Dad to cut it down to fit me. I would have to hold the butt stock under my arm pit to sight through the scope. Dad wouldn't do it, insisting that I would grow into the gun and it would fit me just fine.
He was right. Within a few years I didn't have to do the under armpit hold, and a few more it fit me perfectly. I still have Grandpa's .22. Wouldn't trade it for the world and have grown to appreciate my Dad's thoughts on "growing into it".
But, to do a nice job on a "sectioning" of the butt stock would be a great way to go about things. You should consider that if this kid turns out like many of us, he will want to hang onto the first gun he shot for his entire life. To have it fit him as he grows older could be very important.

I like it a lot, too. If he's going to be shooting, I want reasonable technique to become second nature and reasonable technique starts with getting the butt firmly into the shoulder. He can get a sight picture (sort of) from a sitting position but it's more on his arm than shoulder and has no chance to get a good picture from prone (which is where I really want him so he can start grouping better).

If I do this, he'll get something right-sized and it'll be kinda like marking his growth on the jamb of a door, except using the stock of a gun. It just means it won't fit me well for a while, but I need work on being a selfish SOB anyway. ;)

That sound you hear this weekend will be me cutting the stock.

Thanks, all.

I did the replacement stock thing with my sons collectable Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I made a simple slab sided stock to the proper pull and then added a cheek piece to the top of it so he got good cheek weld and a proper sight picture. Made a heck of a lot of difference and accelerated his shooting by at least 3 years. he is now a grown up 28 years old and has a really nice very collectable (read valuable) Daisy Red Ryder BB gun (and the little butt stock for hopefully his kids.

Good choice of gun btw. I'm 20 years old and bought a Marlin 25N just because I liked the idea of having a bolt action rifle that was super cheap to feed. I shoot it far more than any other gun I own.

you can also use a belt sander to trim a buttplate down to new dimensions. just set it on the new stock end, trace it out, and sand away. perfect.

One option would be to make the splice piece removable. Inserts in the main stock for longish machine screws from the cut off pice. That way, you'll still see the seam, but it will look intentional, as those types of sporters are made for growing kids anyway. You can pretty up the splice with an accant shim like some shotgun butt pads have. Actually, I don't know why they don't come with a range of spacers to begin with. Somebody invent that!

My father cut down the stock for me when I was young. Never could find the piece he cut off. So we made a piece to extend the stock - Matche up pretty nicely. Still use the gun today

CUT! use dowels to replace and glue when he gets older. In the mean time. Get a little chunk of scrap brass. Use the new profile of the butt as a guide and cut a brass buttplate. Secure with screws to what will be hardwood dowel epoxy holes in future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top