JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you ever have to clean primer pockets, the time spent drying will probably even out. How long do you dry tumble? Wet tumbling with stainless pins takes 2-3 hrs max. I've cut it to 1-1.5 hours before with fairly clean brass with good results.

Where do you dump the heavy metal water?

That is a good question, and probably one that should be addressed. Looking at some videos on wet tumbling I came across a guy that suggested it's best to dump the waste water down the toilet rather than down a sink or tub drain. Now I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty certain, in a home, that those sources all go down the same pipe ultimately. I honestly don't know how much of the heavy metals (lead) the waste water processing plants remove or process for, but I would assume they do process for it? After all, there was lead (probably still is) in old pipes and solder joints that I'm sure leaches into the wastewater.

We're on a septic tank ourselves, so I would think we're safe dumping it down the drain here. But certainly something that should be considered when using the wet method.

A little polish and a used dryer sheet sure cut down on the dust that I'm sure no one wants to be breathing.

@Benchrest was kind enough to loan me his Hornady vibratory tumbler this weekend. I ran a load yesterday afternoon - no polish, but on reading about others using the dryer sheets, I threw one in. I can't compare to doing it without because I've only done one load, but when I opened up the tumbler, there wasn't a bunch of dust coming out - definitely a good thing when the potential for lead in the air is present.

I haven't separated the cases from the media yet, but they did clean up very nicely after about a 3 hour tumble.

And thanks again to everyone that has weighed in on this thread. Amazing there are quite a number of variations on cleaning brass. Far easier than thinking there is one and only one way to do it. NWFA members for the win!

Well, for me, I like shiny brass. A Montana gold 124gr HP in a nickle .357/.38 special case is a thing of beauty!

Vibrating tumblers are LOUD! I think I might get the rock polisher from Harbor, that might be quitter.

If the Hornady model I'm borrowing from Benchrest is any indication, they're not all that loud. If it's got proper foot pads, I couldn't hear it behind a closed door.

I've got a Rockford Arsenal quick n easy, and it's loud. I turn it on when I leave the house. I can hold it up in my hands and its still noisy.

A little polish and a used dryer sheet sure cut down on the dust that I'm sure no one wants to be breathing.

Through exhaustive research I've determined that Outdoor Fresh yields better accuracy past 600 yards :D

bounce.jpg

They have a low grumbling sound like a bad wheel bearing. Since it a low frequency you can hear it because it travels well through walls.

Once I'm out of the room that it's harbored in I can hear it about 10% of normal. By the time I walk away and am 20' from its location on opposite wall the sound is almost gone.

Don't put it on top of something hollow. It will act like a megaphone.

And thanks again to everyone that has weighed in on this thread. Amazing there are quite a number of variations on cleaning brass. Far easier than thinking there is one and only one way to do it. NWFA members for the win!

Haha, if somebody thinks there is only one way... then they may be the ignorant one. :) (which YOU of course aren't). Just like reloading, everyone has a recipe that they use that works good for them both cost wise and results wise.

I didn't see anyone mention this that any cleaners, polishers etc you don't want ammonia in their mixture. Something to do with reactions, weakening of brass etc...

So don't stand over the drum while it's cleaning and piss in it either.

So I guess the reasons then in summary:
  • remove range gunk
  • make them pretty
  • with ss pins (cleans primer pockets/flash hole while cleaning)
  • dry media (no drying time)
  • no ammonia based detergents/polishing agents
  • destroy vampires and werewolves
  • be different than everyone else
If you were closer I'd let you try out the wet tumbling...

Now here is another option that is coming around in the wet tumbling scene:
ss chips. They are using the shaving flakes from turned down stainless items. The chips apparently are taking like 30 minutes-45 to do the work of the pins in 3 hours. I assume that's due to their edges and not being rounded and 'rolling' across the brass to clean.

If you were closer I'd let you try out the wet tumbling...

Funny you should mention it. @deadeye had pointed me to a link in the classifieds for an old Lortone tumbler. 2x6lb barrels. I went to check it out and it - I don't think it's ever been used. The rubber inside and outside the drums look brand new, seals up as tight as I would expect a new one would - and it's about 30 years old - there was an old postage mark on the box from December 1974 - I think maybe it was purchased as a gift, then just set aside. Other than a little rust on the base from being stored in the box, it looks and works great. All for $50. I did some price checking on these and they are definitely worth well over $100-$150. I hadn't planned on buying it, but I just couldn't pass on that deal.

So, it looks like I'll be taking up wet tumbling (or rock polishing ;)). But since I don't have SS media yet, I may have to look into those chips. Any lead on where to get them?

Funny you should mention it. @deadeye had pointed me to a link in the classifieds for an old Lortone tumbler. 2x6lb barrels. I went to check it out and it - I don't think it's ever been used. The rubber inside and outside the drums look brand new, seals up as tight as I would expect a new one would - and it's about 30 years old - there was an old postage mark on the box from December 1974 - I think maybe it was purchased as a gift, then just set aside. Other than a little rust on the base from being stored in the box, it looks and works great. All for $50. I did some price checking on these and they are definitely worth well over $100-$150. I hadn't planned on buying it, but I just couldn't pass on that deal.

So, it looks like I'll be taking up wet tumbling (or rock polishing ;)). But since I don't have SS media yet, I may have to look into those chips. Any lead on where to get them?
Sent them a link to this page, hopefully they get it and connect with you.

You are lucky, had I been closer to PDX I would have bought that tumbler before you

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top