JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just buy a $250 upper and pin it to the thing, set the other upper aside. When you get tired of it and want to make it all original again the upper you bought today for $250 will probably be worth $350 (assuming AR prices recover some day)

OK, I'll bite. I've owned a few "factory" rifles. A Colt and two Bushy's. They all ran. Just like all my home-brew rifles.

Hah, that reminds me of guys stating their rifle is better because it's "mil-spec" or also "5.56 and .223 chambered". :rolleyes:

Any decent AR built in the last 20+ years will swallow both calibers ( as long as it's chambered for it) and mil-spec means nothing more than the rifle meets the tolerances of the military, which aren't all that fancy. Frankly there are better guns with tighter tolerances than "mil-spec".

The AR platform is duplicated by almost ALL the major manufactures. Just like Colt did back when they bought the prints. What makes one better than the other? Of course the quality of the actual parts, but in this day and age a forged lower is a forged lower, a billet is a billet and so on......

A Colt is only better because many fanboys believe it. And I own 5 AR's...........:rolleyes:

A DD, A Noveske and a few others have WAY tighter tolerances and arguably higher quality machined, forged or billet parts than an off-the-shelf Colt. True story.

The AR platform is duplicated by almost ALL the major manufactures. Just like Colt did back when they bought the prints. What makes one better than the other? Of course the quality of the actual parts, but in this day and age a forged lower is a forged lower, a billet is a billet and so on......

A Colt is only better because many fanboys believe it. And I own 5 AR's...........:rolleyes:

A DD, A Noveske and a few others have WAY tighter tolerances and arguably higher quality machined, forged or billet parts than an off-the-shelf Colt. True story.

Its not the brand that gives me pause, its the fact that its in factory condition. From what Ive seen, any factory built rifle gets more in a sale than a similar rifle thats pieced together.

Most people like theirs unmolested.

Use that in the context thread.

By today's standard's I would disagree. But in general, you're mostly right here.

I don't buy guns wondering what I can get for them down the road. I shoot them, often. And if I decide to sell I sure know I am gonna lose a few bucks.

By today's standard's I would disagree. But in general, you're mostly right here.

I don't buy guns wondering what I can get for them down the road. I shoot them, often. And if I decide to sell I sure know I am gonna lose a few bucks.

Yeah, I bought up a half dozen of these things because I always said, "I sure wish I knew about the 94 ban, I woulda took out a loan and made a fortune!"

Probably a good investment, actually. LOTS of guys think the Colt is just better than the rest and will pay for the false security. I wish I had scooped up a few, but since I never fell into the "club" I probably lost a few bucks.

Either way, take one and chop that beach. :p

I'm 100% with Ironmonster on this. Uppers are so ridiculously cheap right now. The pendulum seems to swing harder and farther each time. When the power shifts again its going to get ugly. I think an intact Colt will be worth quite a bit in 3 or 7 years. As will the new upper.

You will still have to remove the handguard cap and stock barrel nut , so unpinning the FSB intact is the logical choice other than buying/building another upper . I would just build a different upper that has all the parts you want. JMO

I second the motion on getting a new top instead of mangling the original. As far as speculating on an event that didn't happen (thank God) - well, you got something that will always be useful, even if you didn't see it a monstrous increase in monetary value. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Just get a DD rail that doesn't require modifying the upper. Keep front sight base, have free float rail, and something about pie.

It's a rifle, and contrary to popular misconception it is NOT the best by which all others should be judged. Chop that thing and move on. If Colt was THAT good why are they bankrupt? :rolleyes:

I'd GTW with ANY of my AR's, and they are all "lousy" homebrews. :rolleyes:
Because their stance is "military contracts hurr durr" and not make an effort on marketing much? Because they fail at knowing what the market wants? Because a list of reasons I could go down but then I'd be a jack@ss.

Good lord guys, they didn't even invent it, they had the cash to buy the prints. Is their aluminum and steel so much better? Nope!

Unless you're building a true clone, and even then it's questionable, having the Colt stamp ain't that cool anymore.

WRONG, Kruejl, WRONG!!! ;)

One thing to say about my Colt.

100 meters - one hole! Not even a ragged hole. Box stock!

Stupid Colt, can't even build a rifle right!!! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews