JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Normally that's true…. My buddy was stocked by a cougar and he ended up shooting it. Luckily for him he had something bigger than a .22LR. It's now mounted on his wall. This took place in Tillamook last year. Just cause it normally doesn't happen doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for it.
This could be a much better story that what actually happened also. Like I tell people I was rock climbing in Argentina when I broke my leg... not on a bicycle.

Normally that's true…. My buddy was stocked by a cougar and he ended up shooting it. Luckily for him he had something bigger than a .22LR. It's now mounted on his wall. This took place in Tillamook last year. Just cause it normally doesn't happen doesn't mean you shouldn't prepare for it.
One more thing, I like these odds only 126 attacks in North America in the last 100 years.

That Remington revolver will do fine for most things that you want or need to shoot with :
25 -28 grains of 2 or 3 F black powder , a greased felt wad and a .454 round ball.

A clean and well maintained cap and ball revolver is a joy to shoot and will cure many of life's ills.

A wise way to carry that revolver is to load all six chambers , but only cap 5 of them.
Have the hammer rest on the uncapped chamber....yes you can use the "safety pins / notches" , but that will throw your revolver out of time with repeated use.
Andy

That Remington revolver will do fine for most things that you want or need to shoot with :
25 -28 grains of 2 or 3 F black powder , a greased felt wad and a .454 round ball.

A clean and well maintained cap and ball revolver is a joy to shoot and will cure many of life's ills.

A wise way to carry that revolver is to load all six chambers , but only cap 5 of them.
Have the hammer rest on the uncapped chamber....yes you can use the "safety pins / notches" , but that will throw your revolver out of time with repeated use.
Andy
I knew you'd wind up here.

Good on ya

Would bringing it along be wise despite the reduced ability or just foolish?
It would be wise to bring it, the consequences of needing it when you don't outweigh the very slim chances of needing it in the first place. Like carrying a gun anywhere.
And you get style point for rocking a classic cowboy gun. That thing would be fun to shoot.

Not sure where you plan to hike into, but, as a generic response.... carry what ya' got. My boys have been stalked by cougars. My husband has had crosses with bears and mooses. Bear spray is a good thing. Learn how to use it. .45LC is a good round. Happiness is a warm gun.

I would probably NOT carry it. When I was 20, I had a pistol that was gifted to me, and it came up in a traffic stop. Long story short, it caused a lot of headache and was a pain to keep the officers from taking it. Even if you are within the law, skirting it can cause you more problems than it is worth. Get some bear spray.
This is how I'm inclined to think. I am not an attorney, but I'd advise the OP to read the Revised Code of Washington.

In Wash. if you are between the ages of 18 to 21, not only may you not buy a handgun, there are strict limits on where you may possess one. Specifically, at your residence, your fixed place of business, or real property under your control. Which doesn't include backpacking some place away from any of these three locations.

As written in the RCW, antique firearm replicas do not meet that definition if they have been redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire ignition with fixed ammunition. This is in the very first subparagraph of RCW 9.41.010, Terms Defined. Cowboy loads made with black powder still involve a fixed ammunition case and are not muzzle loaded, they count as "modern" ammunition. A converted muzzle loading revolver is a handgun.

As written in the RCW, antique firearm replicas do not meet that definition if they have been redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire ignition with fixed ammunition.
if thats the case then can he carry it loaded with muzzle-loaded blackpowder?

Definetely follow the law here of course.

In Wash. if you are between the ages of 18 to 21, not only may you not buy a handgun, there are strict limits on where you may possess one. Specifically, at your residence, your fixed place of business, or real property under your control. Which doesn't include backpacking some place away from any of these three locations.
(2) Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
(a) In the person's place of abode;
(b) At the person's fixed place of business; or
(c) On real property under his or her control.
(3) Except in the places and situations identified in RCW 9.41.042 (1) through (9) and 9.41.060

9.41.060 section 8:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

if thats the case then can he carry it loaded with muzzle-loaded blackpowder?
I'll start by saying again, I'm not an attorney. In Wash. state, muzzle loaders are considered firearms. There isn't anything that I can find in the RCW that grants muzzle loaders, per se, special sanction. There are considerations for antique guns, which can include some muzzle loaders. These considerations seem to be focused more on transfer rather than on possession. If there are some eased restrictions relating to minors and muzzle loaders, I'd like to hear them. That is, beyond the enumerated allowances granted for example in RCW 9.41.042. Could be the OP isn't legal for carrying the replica muzzle loading revolver in any form, or might qualify under RCW 9.41.042(5).

I'll start by saying again, I'm not an attorney. In Wash. state, muzzle loaders are considered firearms. There isn't anything that I can find in the RCW that grants muzzle loaders, per se, special sanction. There are considerations for antique guns, which can include some muzzle loaders. These considerations seem to be focused more on transfer rather than on possession. If there are some eased restrictions relating to minors and muzzle loaders, I'd like to hear them. That is, beyond the enumerated allowances granted for example in RCW 9.41.042. Could be the OP isn't legal for carrying the replica muzzle loading revolver in any form, or might qualify under RCW 9.41.042(5).
My next trip isn't for a bit so I'll definitely be looking into the law on this more to make sure that it's legal for me to bring it along. At least I've got more input on possible choices for not ending up on something else's plate.

Lever action rifle. 30-30 maybe if its bear you are thinking about. But even a Ruger 10/22 would help. They are cheap. You'll probably want one anyway, even after you are 21 and can buy handguns. And a take down version could be carried in your pack on the way to the trail. .22 isn't of course optimal for SD. But its hard to beat a .22 rifle for putting the occasional rabbit in the stew pot. And if you are worried about bad humans...a young adult male carrying a rifle is not anybody's idea of the ideal choice for victim, whatever the rifle caliber.

I suggest, though, when setting up camp, set up off trail so nobody is going to be coming upon you in your sleep. Avoid prepared public camp sites. And don't set up camp near water or near a large game trail where noisy critters go by all night, all of them sound like a momma bear with cubs.

Lever action rifle. 30-30 maybe if its bear you are thinking about. But even a Ruger 10/22 would help. They are cheap. You'll probably want one anyway, even after you are 21 and can buy handguns. And a take down version could be carried in your pack on the way to the trail. .22 isn't of course optimal for SD. But its hard to beat a .22 rifle for putting the occasional rabbit in the stew pot. And if you are worried about bad humans...a young adult male carrying a rifle is not anybody's idea of the ideal choice for victim, whatever the rifle caliber.

I suggest, though, when setting up camp, set up off trail so nobody is going to be coming upon you in your sleep. Avoid prepared public camp sites. And don't set up camp near water or near a large game trail where noisy critters go by all night, all of them sound like a momma bear with cubs.
Under 21 means no 10/22 , Marlin model 60s or others like that.

Don't you know our enlightened state leaders have restricted the ravenous death machines which load themselves with recoil impulse? Wa state is well on it's way to being a dreamlike utopia with not even a memory of violence.

Bahahahaha

My next trip isn't for a bit so I'll definitely be looking into the law on this more to make sure that it's legal for me to bring it along. At least I've got more input on possible choices for not ending up on something else's plate.
I'd print out a copy of the RCW and highlight the points that pertain to your situation, place it in a zip lock bag to keep it dry.
Good luck to you whippersnappers. :D

I'm a fan of being armed whenever possible. And especially if I'm going into remote places by myself. And especially if it's lion or bear country. If you can handle the extra weight, I say carry it.

I think your suggestions are good, it's just that the rifle can not be a semiautomatic under current state law for the circumstances the OP is describing (under 21 years old, etc).

Under 21 means no 10/22 , Marlin model 60s or others like that.

Don't you know our enlightened state leaders have restricted the ravenous death machines which load themselves with recoil impulse? Wa state is well on it's way to being a dreamlike utopia with not even a memory of violence.

Bahahahaha
When the Cambrian measures were forming, they promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed they sold us, and delivered us bound to our foe.
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know.

Rudyard Kipling from "The Gods of the Copybook Headings."

Copybook headings were wise pithy sayings of conventional wisdom that children used to copy when learning penmanship. (Penpeopleship?)

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
Looks like I didn't read far enough. I'd say this is good news for the OP.

Like somebody else said above, carry a copy of this with you. Not every LEO would know this finer point of the law.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top