JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, I need some advice. A local dealer has two brand new Beretta 92 FS (Made in Italy) for sale. The guy seems pretty trustworthy as he runs his business out of his home and the asking price is $674 out the door. I've always wanted the Made in Italy 92 FS, but I have to admit I know very little about this particular firearm. I'm just wondering if anyone here owns one or has strong feelings about this model. Are there things I need to look out for or be aware of? Also wondering if the price is fair. I'm doing my homework and trying to read up on it, but I only have a few days before they go up for sale. Thoughts?

Here's a link to the model in case anyone is curious: <broken link removed>

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful responses!

UPDATE: Thanks to the members here I found a brand new Italian made 92FS on armslist for $560 and a local dealer was able to match the price on the same make/model. I purchased my handgun yesterday and spent the evening putting it through its paces and giving it some TLC. I could not be happier with it. Thanks again to everyone who posted. I really appreciate your time and effort!

My wife has a 92A1, which is similar but a newer variant. It's a nice gun but it is large and somewhat heavy.

Do you want one "just because" and it may not be your primary gun? If no and this might be your only/primary gun, you might try to shoot one first at a range to see if you like it.

Peter

Do you want one "just because" and it may not be your primary gun? If no and this might be your only/primary gun, you might try to shoot one first at a range to see if you like it.

Peter, thanks for your reply. Honestly, I want one just because. Growing up this was always the iconic handgun for me. Maybe I watched Lethal Weapon a few too many times. But I always told myself I'd own one some day. I don't know if I'll carry it or not. Right now my primary carry is a Ruger SR9c, which I like a lot and have no intention of replacing. Good question though. Thank you.

I bought one sometime ago (in Inox) partly because I watched Bruce Willis shoot bad guys with one in the Die Hard series. Seems like he hardly ever reloaded. :)

Having said that, it is one of my favorite pistols. It has a solid, all metal feel to it, like my 1911. It also fits my hand better than any of my handguns. And I am more accurate with it.

As to EDC, I think not. It is too big and heavy. I prefer my FNP9 for that. Even that is sometimes too much.

The price seems a bit high. Was at Gunbroker yesterday, and there was one there for I think $639.

Don't think you will go wrong with picking one up.

The price seems a bit high. Was at Gunbroker yesterday, and there was one there for I think $639.

Don't think you will go wrong with picking one up.

Slowpoke, thanks for the advice. Having only talked to the seller a few times I'm uncertain as to how much of a haggler he is. I'm hoping he'll be a little more flexible when I offer to pay cash. Having purchased only two firearms in my life I've never done any price hunting, so I didn't even think of Gunbroker. I'll have to do some looking around at prices. Thanks again for the solid advice!

I've owned 3 of the Beretta 92 series...Good pistols, but for a handgun of THAT size, I'd go with a Glock 21 in .45 auto.

Thanks for the reply, Glockman. I understand that Glocks are very reliable and that .45's will put a man down better than 9mm if it ever comes to that. However, if I wasn't buying a 92 FS I'm not certain I'd be buying anything at all. This gun certainly isn't for EDC and I'm not relying on it for self defense. It's entirely for the joy of owning and shooting a gun that I've always wanted. For that reason I would purchase this handgun over any other UNLESS there is something majorly wrong or concerning about the 92 FS or Beretta in general. Thanks again for your advice!

I bought my M9A1 (92FS) with the intent of it being a safe queen and only brought out for fun at the range. It has been exactly that. Only 300 or so rounds through it in the last year. Absolutely love that pistol, I would get a second one for CC, but it's too dang big for CC.

I put in the "D" spring and a skeletonized hammer, made a significant difference for the better with the DA trigger pull, lightened the SA as well.

I put in the "D" spring and a skeletonized hammer, made a significant difference for the better with the DA trigger pull, lightened the SA as well.

Hm, there's something I never would have thought of. How involved was that process and where did you find the parts, if I might ask? Thanks for the contribution!

Pistols have less regulations when it comes to imports so don't let him sell you on just that alone.
Coming from Italy isn't that big of a deal.

Second.. I think $674 for a 92 is a little high. Why not buy used for $150-$200 less?
Heck, why not upgrade and get a Taurus PT92?
YES I SAID IT, a TAURUS PT92.

Slowpoke, thanks for the advice. Having only talked to the seller a few times I'm uncertain as to how much of a haggler he is. I'm hoping he'll be a little more flexible when I offer to pay cash. Having purchased only two firearms in my life I've never done any price hunting, so I didn't even think of Gunbroker. I'll have to do some looking around at prices. Thanks again for the solid advice!

Have you checked Armslist, or the handguns for sale area here? If not you might check it and see if any for sale, or if any have sold in the last month or so in order to gauge whether you are getting a reasonable deal or not.

I used to own the 92fs you are contemplating some 12 years ago and sold it and regret it. I currently own a stainless 96fs and really love it. These are fantastic firearms and you will enjoy owning one. Being that I have owned both the Italian and US made firearms, I can tell you there is no difference between the two in terms of quality. The US made 92/96 is every bit as good as the ones made in Italy.
When they built the factory because of the US government contract, they utilized top notch equipment and fantastic QC.

Find one you like and buy it.

By the way, Taurus is a good gun, but I personally don't care for the thick trigger guard and I still believe the Beretta to be a bit more refined. IMHO of course.

Peter has an excellent point. You will not know if the previous owner kicked the hell of of it(Locking block, railwear..). Buy New.

No disagreement there. I'm not a fan of buying used when it comes to handguns. The two I'll be looking at later today are brand new.

While we're on this topic, if I have any doubts about misrepresentation of the gun's condition (new vs used) what are some signs to look for?

Thanks again to everyone who is posting! This is extremely helpful!

I have owned a beretta 92A1 for a few years and really enjoy it and I plan on buying a few more 92 variants to keep that lonely 92A1 company. Great fit&finish, accuracy and 100% reliable.

I've owned a Taurus PT92, a Beretta 92FS, and a Beretta M9 (the military version), and I've loved them all. Full size pistols that just work. I like them a lot better than the Glocks in 9mm and .45 I've owned. Gorgeous to look at. And I absolutely love how easily and simply they field strip for cleaning. The differences between the Italian made and US made versions of the 92FS are minimal, and I'd happily own either. I do agree with others that the price seems a little high, but if that puppy with the big eyes says to you that he wants YOU to take him home, I wouldn't hesitate. My M9 is my favorite handgun in my current collection.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top